Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Squib removal

Sarge

I loaded up a squib so I could try out my new heavyweight squib rod. Somewhere on here I read that the secret to removing a squib was to keep lightly tapping until it comes out. NOT! After about twenty light taps with no results I slammed it home and popped it out in 3 tries. I had my squib rod made at the local machine shop out of 5/8 hex stock. Custom turned to just fit in the barrel of my 9mm. It is heavy enough to not need a hammer. Now I know what a squib feels like. How far it travels. (not far, I could see it just in front of the chamber) And how well my rod works.

Now I just hope I never use it again, ever.

I made a squib rod out of a $.40 bolt from Lowes. It's a good thing to have in the ol' range bag...I have yet to encounter one myself, but it seems like there is at least one squib per 2 club matches that I shoot.

Lowes? I can beat that. I keep a $.03 pencil in my range bag. I use it to write with. It fits any barrel from a .22 to a .45 and it will work in a pinch ....... ONCE. Multi-tasking at it's finest. :)

But like Micah, I have never had a chance to use it.

Lowes? I can beat that. I keep a $.03 pencil in my range bag. I use it to write with. It fits any barrel from a .22 to a .45 and it will work in a pinch ....... ONCE. Multi-tasking at it's finest. :)

Will it work? even ONCE?

And don't forget, that pencil with a rubber eraser is great for checking firing pin function.

Always keep one in my range bag.

Bill

I got a few funny looks when I took my barrel to Lowes. When I checked out, the lady asked me "I need to scan that too...right?" I replied "Yes ma'am, I got this in the pistol barrel aisle." She had a laugh.

I've got one of those plastic rods one of the big names sells and have tried to use it. Dismal failure on anything that is really stuck hard. Got a piece of brass rod from the hobby store. That works MUCH better.

I tried a pencil on the first squib I ever had. Didn't do anything but destroy a perfectly good pencil. FWIW, a bic pen isn't any better.

I took a section of old cleaning rod that had a busted handle and cut the length that I needed it to be then put it in drill and dedurred and put slight bevel to both ends. Took about 5-10 minutes to make. Haved used it once and loaded it out several times..

Got a piece of brass rod from the hobby store. That works MUCH better.

I have used a brass rod for over 20 years. I carry two of them in my range box. One for .38/9mm and a bigger one for .44/45. They are 12 inches long. This leaves plenty of room for you or someone else to hang onto while removing the squib load. I also carry a small gunsmithing hammer with replaceable brass heads to tap the brass rod with.

The brass rod works best for me. I also have two in my range bag one for 9mm/38 and the other for .45. Instead of the hammer I put a lead ingot in the bottom of the range bag. It weighs more but takes up less room and does the job when needed.

I use an old primer pick up tube. Never needed to use it until I switched bags, went out to the range to practice and the third shot I fired was a squib. Yep you guessed it, when I switched bags I didn't bring my fancy rod. That was the shortest practice I ever had. That will never happen again. Now every bag I have has one in it.....

Matt

I use an old primer pick up tube. Never needed to use it until I switched bagsone day, went out to the range to practice and the third shot I fired was a squib. Yep you guessed it, when I switched bags I didn't bring my fancy rod. That was the shortest practice I ever had. That will never happen again. Now every bag I have has one in it.....

Matt