Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tough Day at the Range

Gregg K

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One theory about the cause is that high pressure loads (or overtigthening) in combination with poor barrel cleaning when switching between lead/plated and jacketed bullet can cause this to happen.

Stressing the barrel where it is weakest (the threads) by hot loads can cause cracks in the barrel, lengthwise cracks at first.

The cracks are caused beacuse the barrel can't expand at the frame joint as much as the rest of the barrel. Lead and plating residue is then pressed/forced in the crack when shooting jacketed bullets without proper cleaning in between.

The residues form a "wedge" in the crack over time and the crack can then become larger AND turn 90 degrees, parallell with the thread. Threads are natural breaking points due to their sharp V-form in the bottom of the groove.

I don't buy that theory, Roger. Everything I've seen indicates that jacketed bullets simply push the residue out the front of the barrel, at least under reasonably normal conditions. Now if we're talking about tremendous, ridiculous amounts of leading, I suppose that might be a different thing....

Mike, as I said, it's a theory....

I have no experience of it myself, it just happens that I read an article about it in my gun magazine and the quoted gunsmith in the article gave that explanation, "unusual, but not unheard of" was the caption of the article. It happens more to those who experiment with hot magnum loads and might just be that, overstressing of the barrel and not related to barrel maintenance or lead versus jacketed bullets at all.

Edited by RogerT

Gun mites!

Tiny bugs belonging to the order "Acari", genus Trombiculidae, species smithandwessoni. They will infest a gun and with their tiny but very powerful biting mouthparts attack the metal of the gun causing it to bleed power and accuracy (hence the declining power factor and low shot into the chrono). I suspect that they infested the barrel/frame threads because there they were shielded from their natural enemies sunlight and gun oil.

Going to be a interesting piece of work to get the barrel stub out of the frame. Let us know how that goes.

Boats

It was no problem to get the stub out. All the torque is on the face of the barrel and frame, without the face of the barrel the stub just turned out by hand.

Gregg,

To say that bites is an understatement! Glad you're okay. Smith & Wesson will likely treat you correctly.

Thanks Dan

I'll call S&W on Monday and see what I can get done. I doubt that I can get it back in time for the Texas State match but maybe by the Nationals.

Gregg,

I have no doubt S&W will replace the barrel for you, especially if you avoid discussing your 'handloads' and instead refer to a steady diet of .38 Specials. I recommend you stop your home gunsmithing and ship it to them as is.

I shot a Chrony many years ago and the factory will replace the ruined parts pretty reasonably.

BTW congrats on having a really weird and interesting "event" :surprise:

Bob

A16841

Gregg

Come to think about it that makes sense without the barrel shoulder pressing on the frame it would screw out easy. What model is that Revolver ? 686 or K frame ? As a point of interest will Smith replace 66's under the warranty like a newer gun ?

Boats

Gregg

Come to think about it that makes sense without the barrel shoulder pressing on the frame it would screw out easy. What model is that Revolver ? 686 or K frame ? As a point of interest will Smith replace 66's under the warranty like a newer gun ?

Boats

It's a model 66-5 K frame. They are suposed to have a lifetime warranty.

Chrono_1.jpg

Did the first round appear on the target? I have a Chrony that is your Chrony's twin.

I've got a green one and an older red one that have similar ventilation. Always thought about mounting them

up to give as "prizes". High Chrono? Most total match misses? :rolleyes:

Well I just got off the phone with S&W. They said no warranty unless I had bought the gun new and had proof. So bottom line is I don't have squat from S&W. I keep wanting to post something positive about S&W's customer service but they have never given me a reason to do so. :angry2:

Edited by Gregg K

Well I just got off the phone with S&W. They said no warranty unless I had bought the gun new and had proof. So bottom line is I don't have squat from S&W. I keep wanting to post something positive about S&W's customer service but they have never given me a reason to do so. :angry2:

That is truely disappionting. If they are aware of catastrophic failures with some of their guns, why aren't they recalling them?

This is a big no-no on S&W's part. I'll remember.... Thanks for sharing.

Some warranty!! Who keeps proof of a purchase years after the sale. They just shot themselves in the foot as far as keeping the prices and sales up on the used guns. I'd pay more for a good used gun if I thought that they would stand behind it, espically after a MAJOR failure like this. From the posts on this thread, this is not the first time that this has happened. Oh well, not my sales that are going to suffer. They must be making lots of money.

Just my 2ctw

Edited by granderojo