Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver Choice

galt11

I am looking to purchase a 38/357 revolver for all around shooting, but also dabbling with USPSA and some other activities like silhouette, steel, and bowling pins. I think I will stay with S&W as I have had good experiences, but need some advice with the barrel length.

In the 686, they make either a 4 or 6".

Which would you choose and why?

Should I look at the Plus model?

Are there any other guns I should look at?

Thanks for the help.

Adam

The 686 in 6" barrel is the most versatile revolver out there. It will do everything you mentioned except Big Bore Silhouette at 200 meters. It will do ok out to 150, then the

groups fall apart at 200. You can do field pistol from 25 - 100 meters just fine though. The plus one with 7 shots might be good for the steel, ipsc and bowling pins. It is also

a viable choice to hunt with if you can place your shots. The only other gun I can think of that would do what you want it for would be a 627. You would be giving up some

sight radius on the longer shots with a 5" barrel though.

Longer sight radius is always better, but I much prefer a long, light barrel to a long heavy underlugged barrel like the 686. My all-time favorite gun that I own and will never, ever, ever sell (seriously, I'd carry it in my stolen shopping cart if I was homeless) is a 6" Model 14. If I could reload it as fast as my 625 I'd use it for USPSA because I shoot it better than anything else.

I would recommend getting an 8-shot 627 first. It will be great for pins and steel, and you can use it for USPSA and to play around with long-range stuff if you want. Then if you discover you enjoy shooting USPSA with the wheelgun (and I think you will!), you can eventually invest in a 625 or 25-2. With an 8-shot .357 and a 6-shot .45 ACP wheelgun in your stable, you will be truly well-equipped for competition revolver shooting.

6 inch barrel assuming you have no interest in IDPA.

----------

6 round cylinder if you intend to shoot USPSA or IDPA. If you are shooting USPSA Revo Division, think you can load 7 but, discharging that 7th round will move you to OPEN division (Not where you want to be with a 7 round gun).

Check IDPA rules but I think you are at a similar disadvantage there as well.

The 7 round cylinder will give you flexibility in managing ICORE courses of fire with that extra round.

You can also shoot that gun in USPSA Production Division but you are at a disadvantage as that is a 10+1 round gun game. As far as that goes, you may be better served by a 5inch Model 627 (8 rounder) as already mentioned if you are looking a revos that hold more than 6 rounds.

----------

Bottom line... pick the game or games you want to play, then pick the gun to fit the game.

A 4", 6 shot L frame 357 S&W Magnum is the most versatile handgun on the planet, hands down (not that I feel strongly about it or anything). Nothing else even comes close.

No matter what you chose - good luck .

Craig

Edited by Bones

I agree with Bones. Always been sort of a S&W shooter collector. Am sitting on a dozen of them now and have sold off just as many over the years. 686 by far is the easiest shooting most versatle and accurate of the bunch. Plus is it's in production and avalable without much trouble. My case since best matches nearby are IDPA it's a 6 shot 4 inch. The platform, frame and all is the way to go. Get it to suit the rules of matches you are likely to shoot.

Boats

Edited by Boats

A 4", 6 shot L frame 357 S&W Magnum is the most versatile handgun on the planet, hands down (not that I feel strongly about it or anything). Nothing else even comes close.

There's no question that a 4" 686 is a great choice for shooting SSR division in IDPA.....of course, SSR division had to be specifically created in order to make that type of gun competitive.

For everything else, a 4" 686 is a compromise. It's not a great USPSA gun, it's not a great ICORE gun, it's not a great gun for steel matches....hell, it's not even all that great of a carry or home defense gun. For every other task other than SSR, there is a better choice available.

Mike,

A 6-shot 4" L frame is the only choice that allows you to shoot:

ICORE, USPSA (major or minor), IDPA SSR and ESR PPC, Bianchi, Steel, Pins, plates, etc. as is, without modification. Having the cylinder cut for moonclips adds to it's versatility for most of those. If I'm not mistaken, an somebody just won Revolver at a USPSA Area match with a moon-clipped L-frame shooting minor.

I agree it is not optimal for many, but it excludes you from none of those. All other choices exclude - either explicit or practically - one or more of those.

Figure in purchase, accessory and operating costs and the argument gets stronger.

I'll ignore the SSR bait :rolleyes:

Again, any revolver is a better choice than no revolver - good luck and welcome.

Craig

Edited by Bones

A 6-shot 4" L frame is the only choice that allows you to shoot:

ICORE, USPSA (major or minor), IDPA SSR and ESR PPC, Bianchi, Steel, Pins, plates, etc. as is, without modification.

It would also be legal for USPSA Open Division as well, Craig. And it would not be competitive there, either! :rolleyes:

I would rather see a new revolver guy figure out which game he will playing the most, and pick the gun that is the best platform for that game. If that happens to be IDPA SSR, then a 4" 686 is the only way to fly. If it's ICORE/steel/pins, an 8-shot 627 would be just the ticket. If it's USPSA Revo, a 625 or 25-2 is a perfect choice.

At least then he won't be constantly frustrated by trying to employ a choice that is sub-optimal. He'll give himself the chance to perform well, using appropriate equipment. Then, as funds allow, he can acquire the other guns needed to participate successfully in the other revolver shooting venues that are available.

Or so it seems to me.

Thanks for the replies, I dont really see me getting into IDPA at all, so I think I may lean toward the 6" version. I do like the idea of the 7 or 8 round choices also. I will have to give that some thought.

Adam

Does the larger capacity meaning 7 or 8 shot cylinders make it harder to find accessories such as holsters and such? Also, is a gun is made to use moon clips, can you still shoot it without using them and just loading them individually?

Adam

Does the larger capacity meaning 7 or 8 shot cylinders make it harder to find accessories such as holsters and such? Also, is a gun is made to use moon clips, can you still shoot it without using them and just loading them individually?

Adam

You shouldn't have a problem finding holsters and stuff, Adam. The 8-shot revolvers are cut to work with both moonclips and loose rounds. I took a long time to finally get an 8-shooter, but now I have several of them and use them a bunch!

I agree with both Carmoney and Bones. Mike says that he would rather see a new revolver guy figure out which game he will playing the most, and pick the gun that is the best platform for that game. The question is figuring out which game you want to play. This is where Craig's idea of using a 6-shot 4" L frame allows you to try most everything until you figure out where you want to play. Then you can buy the most appropriate gun for your game.

I shot IHMSA silhouette for over 20 years and beginners always had the same question as to what was the best choice to start with. The Thompson Contender was always the first choice because it allowed you to shoot the most classes with the smallest investment. Later, if you desired, you could invest more money in class specific guns.

I asked the same question as Galt11 last year and went with Craig's advice on a 686SSR until I figure out what game I want to concentrate on.

I don't quite understand everyone's apparent love for L frames. For a 6 shot revo I'd rather have a K frame but aside from the 67 they're discontinued. An L frame will let you have a fairly easily interchanged 6 and 7 shot cylinder (7 vs 6 is nice for us lesser lights shooting pins or steel but 8 is even better) but if you want to dabble in IDPA you're limited to a 4" barrel which will leave you at a disadvantage for any other discipline you choose to shoot.

A 5" 8-shot 627 and a 5" or 6" 625 or 610. These two will cover everything that you need to do.

BTW, WTF is IDPA?

Oh, and just to p*ss off Carmoney, get yourself a 4" 686 for no other reason than they are usually cheap as hell and not shot very much.

Chris :roflol: