Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI and SV aluminum grips

00bullitt

Both grips are on the market now and available for sale. I've seen many in the classifieds where folks have bought and sold them. If you have bought one and fitted it or shot one on your gun......what was/is your impression of how it changed the gun? More recoil/less recoil? Does it reload good? Feel? Was it easy to fit? How did it change the overall balance of the gun? Can you weigh the pros and cons for me as I am borderline interested on getting one for my STI if it does not sell.

Well, I'll throw my comments out there for you. I have this gun:

post-677-1249397076_thumb.jpg

and with the grip tape on it the gun feels great in your hand. Everyone who picks it up just gives me that look that says" OOOOOOOHHHHH" Does it shoot softer? Not that I can tell. The gun balances great, and just feels so much better in my hands. I was concerned about reloading it. In dry fire practice if you mag was even slightly out of alignment, the mag would wedge in there and not load. In matches with bullets in the mag, I have not had any problems. The mag you drop shoots out, not just drops free. You will have to ask Cheely how it was to fit, because it came from him already on the gun. Will I be changing out all my guns to this grip? no, but I do want to try it on my open gun before I decide. Oh, this is the STI grip not the SV.

I got one on my backup gun open..looks awesome but a bitch to fit. Expensive too.

You will have a hard time with sti, SV bow trigger. I had to modify to reach the disconnector.

I say to other shooters that I will never have to changed plastic grip for a while(I guess?)

my hand fits better (SMALL STI GRIP) feedback well, its a backup

so havent really shot it that much. I did notice that the gun is well balanced

than my OLD one. Dot tracking is faster or should I say SNAPIER! Hope this helps.

SB

I purchased 1 last year as soon as they were available. I went ahead and purchased the Stainless grip instead of the Aluminum. Does it shoot softer yes., but my results where with stainless. I havent tried a gun with the aluminum, but based on weight alone zI cannot see it being much softer. I also wonder if the aluminum will stand the wear and tear as well as the steel or polymer will. The good thing is they allow a smaller size grip for those with smaller hands so in that case all of them are good for those who need the smaller grip.

Thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming. So far I believe I am going to get the STI Slimline version. What needs to be done to get the SV trigger to work in the frame? Is it better just to go back with an STI trigger?

Thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming. So far I believe I am going to get the STI Slimline version. What needs to be done to get the SV trigger to work in the frame? Is it better just to go back with an STI trigger?

I wonder the same!

I have a new SV limited gun- All SS grip,

has the grip tape-from SV- and its great.

When it has to be replaced, I'll again use

the pre cut tape from SV.

I like the feel and grip it gives more than

my stippled open gun! :surprise:

The way I understand it - the slim version has a cut that causes short triggers to be unsupported at the top of the trigger. There's (currently) no way to fix it - the workaround would be to get a regular/large one and cut the grip down to be the size of the slim one. The larger grip doesn't have this cut, and has no problem with shorter triggers.

I haven't played with one with an SV trigger at all - what I'd suspect is that with a short insert or no insert, the trigger would have the same issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I put the STI small grip on my Open blaster. The mainspring housing (steel) had to be fit to the grip so it would go in far enough, the pin holes took some work to get aligned after the housing was fit and the grip safety took some work to let the mainspring housing go in, again!

I worked on it over the course of 3 or 4 days but when I got done it all drops together and fits quite nicely.

The grip feels good in my hand doing dry fire stuff but shooting it was another experience. I've shot in two matches and decided it's getting grip tape. For lack of a better term it's squirmy in my hands. I can't grip it enough to keep it from moving around.

I have one local match the has what we refer to as a "garden of steel". 20 poppers/plates, shot with minimal movement, usually just a little lean here and there. I've never had problems with it before and now with the aluminum grip I had to stop and readjust my grip on the gun. To me, it's just too smooth without something on it.

I'm going to fit up some grip tape and try it again this weekend at the MI Section. So far, the lack of traction is a much bigger minus than the slightly improved feel is a plus. Hopefully the tape turns it into a win/win.

I took the plunge with one of my guns last week (the one in my signature). It took some fitting of the sear spring (SV triglide), nothing too tough just a little work on the edge to get to sit flat. The grip fits tight, you need a brass hammer and brass or plastic punch to remove it at this point. The backstrap went on tight but only took a couple of taps with brass hammer to get fit right. I have some trouble with the magwell pin, but nothing too difficult. All-in-all, it is pretty close to drop in. Once I got the parts fit in, the gun ran perfect.

I was able to compare it to a duplicate gun except with Polymer grip and a Quinn scope mount.

Shot 250 rounds earlier this week...

* Gun feels more rigid/stiff....I really like how it feels in my hand with grip tape on it. Too "greasy" without grip tape

* Trigger feels the same....crisp as glass. Tried to fit an SV trigger, but still needs modification or it will bind.

* Definitely less felt recoil. It does seem to shoot softer

* Less dot movement compared to my polymer gun.

* Balance feels better, more centered over the grip vs closer to the ejection port with a polymer grip.

This gun now feels better than my backup with the polymer grip. This will likely be my primary for the Nationals unless I discover some problem over the next couple weeks of practice and matches.

post-12164-1250782908_thumb.jpg

Edited by matt2ace

I put the SV SS grip (competition) on my bedell. Much softer and with the skate tape the gun stays put in my hands, even in humid weather. Expensive! I paid almost 800 with the sv magwell. fitting was not a problem. I had to remove a little metal for correct bushing fit.

Thanks Matt, now I have to go and switch mine over to my open gun before my match this weekend and see how I like it.

Yea, I hear Ya Fireant :cheers:

I did noticed that I have to draw the gun slightly different from my Ghost holster with this grip. What I found was the gun needs to be drawn very vertically, a slight angle binds the large ball bearing with the trigger guard and the gun won't come out.....pull straight up for the first inch and it's smooth as silk. I checked the trigger guard width and it is slightly less than my polymer grips. It took me some dry-fire practice to adjust my draw so that it works 100% of the time. I think you could also round the inside of the front portion of the trigger guard where it pushes against the ball bearing to eliminate the binding.

Matt,

I could NOT make the 38s slide work (EJECTION PROBS) with a standard cmore..

It works flawless with a quinn mount but that's just WEIRD FOR ME.

mine is also on this aluminum grip SMALL. it was not a drop in. that's for sure.

but +1 I THINK ITS FLATT SHOOTING THAN MY POLYMER?

SB

Matt,

I could NOT make the 38s slide work (EJECTION PROBS) with a standard cmore..

It works flawless with a quinn mount but that's just WEIRD FOR ME.

mine is also on this aluminum grip SMALL. it was not a drop in. that's for sure.

but +1 I THINK ITS FLATT SHOOTING THAN MY POLYMER?

SB

ED,

can you post some pics please. Tnx in advance