Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf Primers - anybody using them?

1bigshooter

I just picked up some Wolf brand Small Rifle Primers to use in 38SC, from Powder Valley (because they were available).

Has anyone tried them yet?

If so - were they consistent with other primers you used?

Just thought I would do a little research.

Thanks folks! :cheers:

Im using them in my 40 cal limited gun almost exclusively now. I have not seen any difference between the Wolfe SRP's and the Win SRP's when running them in my STI or my Benny Hill. The only thing I've found is they can be a little tighter to seat in some cases. I now ensure I seat the primer with till I get a flat spot on the primer.

I used to, until I ran out and couldn't get anymore... :( Had great reliability with them.

I have a STI Trubore in 38 super, it does not like wolf small rifle primers, My last match I had a lot of bullets that did not fire. I like Winchester small rifle.

I used to, until I ran out and couldn't get anymore... :( Had great reliability with them.

I have a STI Trubore in 38 super, it does not like wolf small rifle primers, My last match I had a lot of bullets that did not fire. I like Winchester small rifle.

I use 'em. They work great. I had ONE issue.....because the anvil was not in right. Not bad out of 20,000.

I'm another very satisfied Wolf primer user. I really liked them before the price went up but even at the new price I'm still very happy with them. In actual fact I have had better luck with them than Winchester SRPs. I've yet to have a Wolf primer not fire off.

First 5000 SPM primers just about finished with 2 light stikes. The cup is a bit shorter, atleast with Wolf SP and SPM so you need to be sure they are seated well. I am using a 550 press, a 1050 can be adjusted better to for primer seat. Getting 2 poorly seated primers (they fired the second time through the gun) out of 5000 does not seem too bad to me.

First 5000 SPM primers just about finished with 2 light stikes. The cup is a bit shorter, atleast with Wolf SP and SPM so you need to be sure they are seated well. I am using a 550 press, a 1050 can be adjusted better to for primer seat. Getting 2 poorly seated primers (they fired the second time through the gun) out of 5000 does not seem too bad to me.

I just ran my first loads using Wolf SPP through my G-34 with a RPFPS and lightened steel FP...5 out of 1st 50 failed to light. I switched to other loads with Winchester and Federal and finished the day without issue. I should mention that this gun has never failed to light a load using Winchester, Federal or CCI...handload or factory load. The primers in question were most definitely seated well and "appeared" to have been hit well enough to light. Although others reported having to use a little more force seating the Wolfs, I thought they actually primed easily with a feel akin to Federals...smooth slide in and solid bottoming out. My FP spring does have a high round count though and I suspect it may have weakened. I have a new one installed to check next trip and plan to run a significant number of Wolf-primed rounds and try to nail it down.

I am using small rifle in my limited gun, svi, ran well with no problems. A gunsmith was telling me that almost all the benchrest guys here in colorado springs are using the wolf primers exclusively. I haven't tried them in my open gun yet which is kind of finecky.

I just picked up some Wolf brand Small Rifle Primers to use in 38SC, from Powder Valley (because they were available).

If so - were they consistent with other primers you used?

Just thought I would do a little research.

Thanks folks! :cheers:

I don't use iether Russian vodka nor ammunition/components. I might reconsider when the Putin dynasty bids farewell.

Ditto - I just got 20,000 from PV (ordered them in Feb)

and tried 300 so far - 2 or 3 didn't go bang - but okay

for practice.

When I can get some WW srp I'll go back to them.

I just ran my first loads using Wolf SPP through my G-34 with a RPFPS and lightened steel FP...5 out of 1st 50 failed to light. I switched to other loads with Winchester and Federal and finished the day without issue. I should mention that this gun has never failed to light a load using Winchester, Federal or CCI...handload or factory load. The primers in question were most definitely seated well and "appeared" to have been hit well enough to light. Although others reported having to use a little more force seating the Wolfs, I thought they actually primed easily with a feel akin to Federals...smooth slide in and solid bottoming out. My FP spring does have a high round count though and I suspect it may have weakened. I have a new one installed to check next trip and plan to run a significant number of Wolf-primed rounds and try to nail it down.

WOLF primers have a slightly shallower cup. This requires that you adjust your press to assure good seating of the primer. With my 550 press, I need to push a bit harder on the upstroke to seat the primer well. With a 1050, you can make a slight adjustment to the primer setting station to get the same result. I have had 2 light strikes in 5000 rounds using this method.

Edited by matt2ace

WOLF primers have a slightly shallower cup. This requires that you adjust your press to assure good seating of the primer. With my 550 press, I need to push a bit harder on the upstroke to seat the primer well. With a 1050, you can make a slight adjustment to the primer setting station to get the same result. I have had 2 light strikes in 5000 rounds using this method.

The problems I've had with the new Wolfs are not related to seating. I don't know if the nickle plate has anything to do with it but it's no mystery, they have been changed and are now just plain harder to light. An OEM Glock trigger setup will fire them with no problem and I'm sure other OEM triggers will do fine with them as well. Using the RPFPS in a Glock is another animal. Switching to a new 4 LB Wolff FPS improved the failure rate to 2 out of 50 over the older version of the same spring but bottom line is, the present version of the SPP is not going to be reliable running a tuned Glock trigger. I will use the batch up running an OEM FPS minus a few coils at the expense of not "quite" as good a trigger but if I stray from Federal or Winchester again have the "KICK ME" sign ready.

The Wolf primers I am using are the copper colored version. I am shooting an STI open gun with a long firing-pin. I shot Glocks for several years so I do understand the issues.

You might contact Lone Wolf or one of the other big suppliers and see what they know about the new Wolf primers and Glocks. They may have a solution. :cheers:

Edited by matt2ace

Ok guys, I have 5,000 large pistol on order from PV. They are for my STI .45 Trojan. Should I cancel and wait for Win or what?

For what it's worth, my Trojan is being built and I will have it at the end of September. So, there is no rush.

Thanks,

A.T.

Ok guys, I have 5,000 large pistol on order from PV. They are for my STI .45 Trojan. Should I cancel and wait for Win or what?

For what it's worth, my Trojan is being built and I will have it at the end of September. So, there is no rush.

Thanks,

A.T.

Nah, they should be good to go.

The Wolf primers I am using are the copper colored version. I am shooting an STI open gun with a long firing-pin. I shot Glocks for several years so I do understand the issues.

You might contact Lone Wolf or one of the other big suppliers and see what they know about the new Wolf primers and Glocks. They may have a solution. :cheers:

Best I can tell, the only issues involve the new, nickle-plated Wolf SPP. It is not going to take too much to make them reliable, just a little more "whap" than a RPFPS (in a Glock) has. I've always ran the LS lightened steel firing pins but I have one of Glockworx skeletonized steel models to try as soon as some other parts come in. I have to say, it does really look good. The GW model is a few grains heavier than the Lightning Strike and just a fraction shorter overall but with the actual firing pin extended a fraction longer. Just in a side-by-side visual comparison, the GW model could build a little more speed despite the few grains more weight and reach the primer with a little more authority. This may prove to be a good combination.

Best I can tell, the only issues involve the new, nickle-plated Wolf SPP. It is not going to take too much to make them reliable, just a little more "whap" than a RPFPS (in a Glock) has. I've always ran the LS lightened steel firing pins but I have one of Glockworx skeletonized steel models to try as soon as some other parts come in. I have to say, it does really look good. The GW model is a few grains heavier than the Lightning Strike and just a fraction shorter overall but with the actual firing pin extended a fraction longer. Just in a side-by-side visual comparison, the GW model could build a little more speed despite the few grains more weight and reach the primer with a little more authority. This may prove to be a good combination.

There's nothing wrong with them other than people aren't getting them seated. If you get them seated properly they should all go bang. Now, some with really light springs might have issues, but the rest of us with stock spring weights should be good if we can get them to seat.

There's nothing wrong with them other than people aren't getting them seated. If you get them seated properly they should all go bang. Now, some with really light springs might have issues, but the rest of us with stock spring weights should be good if we can get them to seat.

Yeah, they'll go fine with stock springs. As to seating, I have'nt had any problems at all with them. I do notice that they only seem to go flush or just a fraction south of flush in Winchester brass regardless of pressure applied. In all the ATK brass (CCI, Federal, Speer, etc.) mine seem to slide in and bottom out just as easily as everything else. Without actually measuring, I'd suspect the Win pockets just are'nt punched quite as deep. I should also qualify the "just as easily" comment by saying that all the brass I've tested the Wolf's through so far has been fully prepped including, primer pockets cleaned so that may account for the ease of priming.