Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inflated Shipping Charges

Graham Smith

I just ordered two DVDs and the first time the shipping charge showed up was only after I had gotten through the entire order process and had provided my credit card information. Only then did the shipping show up for a whopping $15! :surprise:

And that's for USPS or UPS Ground - not even express or next day or anything like that. That's absolutely outrageous!

Is this because of shipping & handling?

Listen, for $15 I can get a lap dance from someone who knows how to "handle" things.

A lot of time it's because the charge for shipping is based on the price of the merchandise, not the actual cost of shipping. But $15 for two DVDs with a combined price of $75, that's 20% for gawd sake!

I really like the convenience of internet shopping, especially when it otherwise hard to find shooting stuff, but you have to be so darn careful about that dang shipping charge they throw in at the very end. (Can everyone say "Billy Mays"?)

I filled out the forms to buy a book a while back and found out the shipping costs made the total much higher than going to local Barnes and Noble. I decided to not order the book and exited the website without confirming the order. Bu then noticed several days later that my CC had been charged. The company tried to argue that they had a no cancellation policy.

Since 1) I did not order it, and 2) I had not (nor did I ever) receive the book, I had no qualms about contesting the charge with my credit card company.

Still, a pain in the ***.

Bill

Still, a pain in the ***.

And that's what really peeves me - I spent half an hour on the internet searching to find someone who had both of these DVDs. And what's worse, the place is only about an hour drive from my house. It'll cost $3 postage and be here the next day. I decided to call and see what they had to say for themselves about this but only got a recorder because it was after 5pm. Be curious to see if they respond to my message.

I've become a big fan of Amazon's free ground shipping lately. If I can buy locally I do, but sometimes the price is too good or I can't find what I want.

I just ordered hydration pack bladders from Source Hydration - orders over $40 get free shipping FROM ISRAEL! That's awesome!

~Mitch

The ones I hate are the ones that don't tell you what the shopping charges will be until after the order is processed. I've seen a couple vendors who do that.

I've seen more than a few that do that. It's a slimey practice.

I won a bid for a tivo unit on ebay paid a great price for a "never" opened model. got to the end and shipping was 50$ for standard shipping.

stupiud...very stupid..lol

It's a tactic that sellers use so that they won't need to deal with the additional Ebay charges since a percentage of the final sell is given back to Ebay. So they would sell a TV for 100 bucks and then smack on another 200 bucks of shipping cost to avoid the unwanted fees. I recommend just not dealing with those folks.

Personally, I hate shipping/handling to the point where I would go on shopping sprees when there is a "free shipping sale". Considering that you don't pay taxes with your free shipping, it's a lot more savings than you think. I turn to Amazon.com and NewEgg.com for all of my needs now. MidwayUSA.com used to have free shipping weeks too...but their deals have dwindled to nil lately.

I've become a big fan of Amazon's free ground shipping lately.

Ditto --- to the point where I've got a few grocery items coming from them every month or so. I'm looking forward to a day where I'll only need a grocery store for fresh foods, everything else will just show up on my doorstep....

I won a bid for a tivo unit on ebay paid a great price for a "never" opened model. got to the end and shipping was 50$ for standard shipping.

stupiud...very stupid..lol

It's a tactic that sellers use so that they won't need to deal with the additional Ebay charges since a percentage of the final sell is given back to Ebay. So they would sell a TV for 100 bucks and then smack on another 200 bucks of shipping cost to avoid the unwanted fees. I recommend just not dealing with those folks.

Doing that --- exorbitant shipping/handling charges is a TOS violation. Feel free to point e-bay high command at the offenders.....

When I sold my camera gear through e-bay, my shipping fees often seemed high ---- based on prior shipping and insurance claim experience I was only willing to ship expensive optics and electronics via UPS 3-day, insured, and the fees for that were not cheap, as the packages tended to be large in relation to their weight to allow for appropriate padding.....

Since this is a HATE forum, I'll add mine: I hate the fact that the USPS offers shippers who use the web based priority mail the ability to obfuscate the amount paid for postage - and actually features this in their marketing as a way to assist sellers recover the "handling" without the problem of showing the buyer how much of the s&h actually goes to the shipping charge.

It's a tactic that sellers use so that they won't need to deal with the additional Ebay charges since a percentage of the final sell is given back to Ebay.

It also allows the seller to keep money if the buyer takes advantage of any refund guarantee. I've seen items for $1 with a money back guarantee - shipping not included. Shipping on the small $1 item was $20.

The free shipping and no sales tax make most amazon.com stuff way cheaper than anything I can get locally.

You mean your state doesn't require you to file a "use tax" report and pay an equivalent amount of out of state purchases :rolleyes:

I also hate outrageous charges for S&H and it is obvious they are doing it that way because it is convienent for them. If they charge a flat rate then they don't have to worry about calculating rates. What gets me is that they could care less about their customers, as long as it is easy for them. In some cases the flat fee is fine but at least offer a small package fee like Brownells does.

I recently purchased a 1911 pin set and a 1911 sear/hammer/disconector/sear spring and was charged $13+ for S&H. I knew the deal but did it grudgingly because this place was the only source for what I wanted.

Neal in AZ