Harry Potter

The Lord of the Rings series

Band of Brothers

The Patriot

Gladiator

3:10 to Yuma

American Gangster

The last two Bond movies

I added the Matrix and Winged Migration on Blu Ray to my cart. I have them both on DVD, I'll let you know how they compare.

be

Just watched a couple chapters of the Matrix, on DVD and BR. The video quality on the BR is much better. Everything is in sharper focus is the most noticeable difference. Which is real noticeable as the depth of field gets deeper.

I didn't compare audio - forgot to turn on my stereo.

One thing I noticed when playing DVDs on the BR player - it's amazing how much more the depth of field increases just from the BR player. I figured DVDs would look the same when played in a BR player as in a DVD player. Not the case at all. But I also noticed that with the big depth of field improvement - sometimes you almost feel like you're in the room - some of the clarity/focus quality is lost. Some scenes just look "blurier" (DVD in BR player).

Anyone else notice that?

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

be

I have not made the plunge to Blu Ray yet, perhaps because standard DVD looks pretty good already. And when I do, I will probably be quite selective at first and just get those movies that might really benefit from it. I scanned my DVD rack last night and one that caught my eye was Silverado. There are some great scenes in this movie that would be great in super hi-def.

If you don't have a subscription to Netflix, it is definitely worth while and they do have Blu Ray movies.

Yea, Silverado would be a good one.

I posted this in my other BR thread - Watched the Matrix over the weekend on BR. Man, the quality improvement you get with BR is just killer. Makes you not want to watch a DVD any more.

be

• 7 months later...
I added the Matrix and Winged Migration on Blu Ray to my cart. I have them both on DVD, I'll let you know how they compare.

be

Just watched a couple chapters of the Matrix, on DVD and BR. The video quality on the BR is much better. Everything is in sharper focus is the most noticeable difference. Which is real noticeable as the depth of field gets deeper.

I didn't compare audio - forgot to turn on my stereo.

One thing I noticed when playing DVDs on the BR player - it's amazing how much more the depth of field increases just from the BR player. I figured DVDs would look the same when played in a BR player as in a DVD player. Not the case at all. But I also noticed that with the big depth of field improvement - sometimes you almost feel like you're in the room - some of the clarity/focus quality is lost. Some scenes just look "blurier" (DVD in BR player).

Anyone else notice that?

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

be

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but we just got our Blu-Ray set up with the big new HDTV and sound system. I would definitely agree with Brian's statement above. I really didn't expect much of an improvement over DVD, but I really noticed a difference. I was especially surprised by "Casablanca". On Blu-Ray, the picture had much more depth, you could see the smoke in the air at Rick's cafe, and Ilsa's eyes and diamond jewelry sparkled. I got the Blu-Ray player free as a bonus at work, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bought one, and now I'm really glad I have it.

dont have many blu-rays, mainly just leave those for the high action, special effect type movies. My limited BR collection:

Transformers 1&2

Eagle Eye

Righteous Kill

Taken

Body of Lies

We are Marshall

Angels & Demons

Brian, hows the Blue ray collection coming along?

The Omega Man with Charlton Heston is a classic that I highly recomend. Really stands out on Blue ray.

Others I have or want on Blue Ray:

Full Metal Jacket

5th Element

I am Legend

Tombstone

Patriot

Brian, hows the Blue ray collection coming along?

The Omega Man with Charlton Heston is a classic that I highly recomend. Really stands out on Blue ray.

At this point I have a nice collection. And thanks for the Omega Man suggestion.

be

• 2 years later...

....I know. This thread is 2 years old.

But...

Toy Story 1-3. Just stunning Blu-Ray on 3 especially

Up

Ratatouille

Star Trek (new one)

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

The Dark Knight

Drive (very cool)<<<

No Country for Old Men

House of the Flying Daggers

Hugo

9 (very cool)

I ordered this...

Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol (due mid-April)

Edited by Jman

Oh yeah...I've been collecting blue rays too...last christmas season, blockbuster were selling blurays 5 for 25 bucks...5 dollars for a previewed blu ray...that was pretty good...got me action movies mostly like the transformers 1,2 and 3...Also, if you are planning to but a blu ray player, you need to have a good TV like 240 hz..i got a samsung and my friends just can't stop watching the transformers 3 when I played it to them especially the highway scene..I haven't seen the blu ray of Battle LA but that is on my list plus the Act of Valor when it comes out...

im surprised nobody has mentioned this...

SCARFACE (waiting for the series)

Ha ha.. I did beat yah to that one..! ;)

Gotta add a few to the list:

The Dogs of War

Dog Soldiers

The Wild Geese

Where Eagles Dare

The Siege of Firebase Gloria

(IMHO - One of if not the best Vietnam War movies ever done;

(Assuming you can handle "Gunny" - Lol) shows the perspective of both sides..)

Edited by gunfixer

guys nobody said "the kingdom" so good bullets going though walls.

the last 30 minutes wil cause you to stop eating your popcorn.

I agree..! Excellent sound, I watched it last fall in Blu-Ray right after adding

my 500w, 15", down-firing sub-woofer to my surround system..

If you guys don't have a sub, you NEED one to fill in the experience,

even if it's a smaller or even passive woofer, it'll amaze you how much

that add's...