Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nevada Will No Longer Recognize Utah and Florida Right-to-Carry Permit

This may belong in the news section, but I put it here since many will be traveling to the Nationals in Nevada... - Flex$

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5001

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Effective, July 1, Nevada will no longer recognize Right-to-Carry permits from Utah or Florida. They have, however, added Ohio and West Virginia as recognized states.

Each May, the Nevada Department of Public Safety conducts an audit of states and their Right-to-Carry laws for the purpose of determining which states it will recognize.

The Nevada DPS dropped Utah because it does not have a live fire requirement, which is a part of Nevada's training requirements. When the Nevada DPS first began its state by state audit of Right-to-Carry laws in 2007, DPS admitted to NRA representatives that they overlooked the live fire training requirement. After further review, they determined that Utah wasn't similar enough to keep it on the list of recognized states.

Florida will no longer be recognized because its permits are now valid for seven years instead of five.

The Nevada DPS and the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs will be hosting their annual Right-to-Carry forum in Carson City in August with a teleconference feed to Las Vegas. We encourage all members to attend this informational meeting. Details will be forthcoming.

Please continue checking your email and www.NRAILA.org for updates.

• 1 year later...

Nevada reviews their reciprocity list every year, and issues a new list effective July 1 of each year. The 2010 list is out and I noticed one change (RI was added) - I'm not sure what the other changes from 2009 are.

Out of State Carry Concealed Weapon Permit Recognition

Effective July 1, 2010

In accordance with NRS 202.3689 (effective October 1, 2007) the State of Nevada will recognize the following States' CCW permit holders:

Alaska

Arkansas

Kansas

Louisiana

Michigan

Missouri

Nebraska

New Mexico

North Carolina

Ohio

Tennessee

Rhode Island

West Virginia

This law allows holders of valid permits from these states to carry a concealed weapon while in the State of Nevada. The permit must be in the possession of the issue at all times while carrying a firearm.

CCW Prohibited Locations defined by NRS 202.3673

http://www.nvrepository.state.nv.us/ccw_changes.shtml

be carefull, I think Clark Co.(Las Vegas) has a whole differet outlook on concelled carry laws that don't allow carry there. Kinda like the states prositution laws <_<

Are you saying that county law trumps state law in regards to concealed carry?

If Nevada doesn't have preemption, it could....

So both people who were able to get carry permits in RI can carry in Vegas?

(I have a friend in RI who has been fighting that battle and it sounds almost impossible)

I'm glad nobody convinced me it was impossible before I picked mine up from the RI AG's office (nonresident, caliber 45, restrictions none - I didn't quite have the nerves to borrow a buddies 50 S&W for the qualification shoot - the caliber listed on the permit is a maximum one can carry)

Any reason why they took these two states off?

NV conducts an annual review to determine what states have "substantially similar" requirements. The reasons are all covered in the original post with the NRA article.

UT was taken off the list since that license can be obtained without any live fire in the training.

FL was taken off the list since they expanded the validity period from 5 years to 7 years, and was thus no longer "equivalent".

NV conducts an annual review to determine what states have "substantially similar" requirements. The reasons are all covered in the original post with the NRA article.

UT was taken off the list since that license can be obtained without any live fire in the training.

FL was taken off the list since they expanded the validity period from 5 years to 7 years, and was thus no longer "equivalent".

What a crock of Guano..... :blink:

• 5 weeks later...

Got my first CCW while living in Utah

I did do a live fire, the state left it up to the instructor weather or not to require it. In utah if you own a gun and can prove you use/carry regularly you can teach the CCW class. Now it's like hosting a Tupperware/Mary Kay/Pampered chef/CCW party. they even serve green jello :devil:

It is of no ones fault but Utah's for letting unqualified people certify that other unqualified people should carry a gun

I went to one with a buddy just to observe and it was a joke compared to the one I took from a certified LEO instructor, some of those ladies and men couldn't even insert and remove the "clip" (so they called it) from the firearms that the instructor brought with him. In fact there wasn't a single person who even brought their own gun (it wasn't required).

Instructor - "Here (hands client gun) remove and re-insert the clip into this gun"

80% of the Students "uhhh ok how do you do that, what's a clip?"

I since have taught several of these and if they don't bring their own gun they get their money back and a "have a nice day". first line of our application is "This isn't a firearms handling class if you can't handle your firearm please sign up for our "basic firearms handling course." We will be happy to help you in making your first firearms purchase after you have an idea of what it is all about.

We even make them pay for & pass the background check (nonrefundable) prior to coming to the CCW class. No sense taking it if you can't pass the check becuase I don't want to hang my ass out to dry so they can pack a gun. If at some point I or one of the other instructors (2-3) decide that a student isn't being safe we will excuse them from the class with a full refund.

Hate to be a dick but someone has to