Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIP my old friend

shooterready

I put down my good old friend, Hunter, today. A handsome golden retriever. He was a great dog always full of energy. The best thing was his mind never really grew up over the years. Always a puppy. My family and I will miss him greatly. He lived to 14 years old.

Good bye my friend!!

"Chewy" thought you might like this...

sam.jpg

Dogs Don't Have Souls, Do They?

I remember bringing you home. You were so small and cuddly with your tiny paws and soft fur.

You bounced around the room with eyes flashing and ears flopping.

Once in a while, you'd let out a little yelp just to let me know this was your territory.

Making a mess of the house and chewing on everything in sight became a passion, and when I scolded you, you just put your head down and looked up at me with those innocent eyes, as if to say, "I'm sorry, but I'll do it again as soon as you're not watching."

As you got older, you protected me by looking out the window and barking at everyone who walked by.

When I had a tough day at work, you would be waiting for me with your tail wagging just to say, "Welcome home. I missed you. "You never had a bad day, and I could always count on you to be there for me.

When I sat down to read the paper and watch TV, you would hop on my lap, looking for attention. You never asked for anything more than for me to pat your head so you could go to sleep with your head over my leg.

As you got older, you moved around more slowly. Then, one day, old age finally took its toll, and you couldn't stand on those wobbly legs anymore. I knelt down and patted you lying there, trying to make you young again. You just looked up at me as if to say you were old and tired and that after all these years of not asking for anything, you had to ask me for one last favor. With tears in my eyes, I drove you one last time to the vet. One last time, you were lying next to me.

For some strange reason, you were able to stand up in the animal hospital, perhaps it was your sense of pride.

As the vet led you away, you stopped for an instant, turned your head and looked at me as if to say, "Thank you for taking care of me.

I thought, "No... thank you for taking care of me."

By Chuck Wells

Edited by JThompson

I had to put my Lab down a year and a half ago, I still get bleary eyed when I think about her. My first hunting dog and the best dog a guy could have ever had. Sorry to hear of your loss, I know what you are going through.

I put down my good old friend, Hunter, today. A handsome golden retriever. He was a great dog always full of energy. The best thing was his mind never really grew up over the years. Always a puppy. My family and I will miss him greatly. He lived to 14 years old.

Good bye my friend!!

That's really sad to hear Dick - I'm very sorry. When I saw the thread's title, I was scared to click in here.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. It is already a little weird with him not around anymore.

I can't even imagine that - when my dog is at my girlfriend's (we have joint custody) for just one night - I really miss him.

be

The best cure for a lost Golden?????

gr.jpg

Jeff

I got my family together to pitch in on a chocolate lab for my brother and his wife for their wedding present. He was still down in the the dumps months after he lost his big boy lab.

They are real happy now with a new life to care for.

Edited by Putty

Dick,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I had to put my Rottweiler Maddi down 2 years ago and I still think of her as my best friend. The times you were so frustrated with them and now you look back as funny moments.

I wish you well.

Marc

I am very sorry for your loss, our dogs are a huge part of our family and we loose a part of our families every 10-15 years, one would think that you could get used to it, but you don't, it is just as hard on us now as it was when we were kids. :(

This was sent to us just after we lost both our "girls" within 5 weeks of each other, both aged 14 years.

We have no kids so they were ours, In the 14 years they blessed us they always had my wife or me with them

Although we now have a new "boy" we still miss them every day.

Seemed like only yesterday we picked them up as puppies.

Anyway here it is

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor.

Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance.

His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers.

Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.

The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...