Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The best 9mm or 38 super single stacks

nub

I have a Wilson CQB .38 Super with a fitted 9mm barrel, a Rock Island .38 Super with a fitted 9mm barrel, and a Rock .38 Super.

All three run well and the bullets go where they are aimed. One cost a bunch of money and the other two didn't. The Rocks have been upgraded with good sights. Other than that, they are pretty stock.

The Rock with the 9mm barrel is likely approaching 10K rounds and going strong.

You don't need to spend a bunch of money to get a reliable single stack.

Dave

"Best" equals what you want in the gun, not what I want in the gun. Call up a good 1911/2011 smith and have them put one together for you. If your looking to get on off the shelf, especially in 9mm, a lot of them tend to need some "tweaking". I'm also considering running my 9mm single stack next year after watching the pros do it :D

The gun I am going to shoot steel with looks nothing like a Single Stack legal pistol. First, no way in HELL am I going to shoot a 5" gun in a match where a 6" gun is legal. Second, I am going to do some lightening of the slide on a steel gun that you can't do with a Single stack legal gun. Third, I am NOT going to shoot a single stack platform in a match like the Pro-Am where I can use a fat gun, reloads with a fat gun are like throwing a pickle down the hall compared to a single stack regardless of magwell used. Unless sponsored I cannot see a reason not to use a 2011 based pistol for the Pro-Am.

If I was set on a single stack I would pony up $1400 or so and buy a Baer Premier II, if the budge was a little higher I would go full custom. The Baer is all the gun you can buy, full custom just allows you to put your personal touches on it......

I purchased a STI Trojan. It is mighty accurate but a PIA. I replaced a lot of parts. I should have spent the money on a Wilson or Baer and saved me a lot of problems.

My first wide body was a STI. Sold it to a friend. He sold it. I have a full custom SV and my friend has a STI by another famous smith.

I have a custom SS built by a pistol smith guild member. It is awesome to shoot. But the lugs on the barrel split.

Nothing and I mean nothing compares to a full custom, if you have the money. That said, there are excellent quality semi-custom single stacks out there. Listen to Hsmith. Many shooters tailor their guns to the sport they are shooting. ProAM is once a year (?), SS matches are once a week, well depending on where you live. Go with a Baer.

Check with Rich at Canyon Creek. He makes a sweet single stack with snake skin serations. I am happy with mine. Bshooter

+ 1 ! I've got a single stack Super from Rich and it is one of the nicest, smoothest guns I've ever owned. You won't be disappointed.

SVI Single Stack -- no mods just the way it comes is just fine. I both 9 and 40. The 40 has more rounds ~25K or so. The nine about 10K through it and no broken parts except for the mags from someone else. The mags were replaced and now work great.

ed

STI Trojan.

It has been great for me. I just went and gave the insides a good smoothing out to make the trigger a little better and put an S&A magwell and extended magazine release and I was running well.

I also pitched the mag they gave me with the gun and went with 9mm 10 round cobra mags.

The AFTEC extractor is a good choice to change out for good extraction.