Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How are you guys storing your powder?

So I have been buying more powder than usual since stuff has been so hard to get. Generally I just keep it in a cabinet or ammo box. Since I have larger quantities now, and am not interested in leveling my garage I am looking for suggestions.

Thanks

If you can find any relatively cool and dry space, that should suffice. I personally use cabinet that is up high enough and out of reach of smaller people (kids). I don't want it disappearing on me. I have heard of other people keeping it in water tight bins, stored in the garage.

Preston

This is what my state recommends:

Subp. 2.Storage of propellants intended for personal use.Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not to exceed 20 pounds may be stored in residences. Quantities in excess of 20 but not exceeding 50 pounds must be stored in a wooden box or cabinet having walls of at least one-inch nominal thickness.

So I have been buying more powder than usual since stuff has been so hard to get.....

Not to be a smart-a$$, but that does kind of explain it all.

VV says powder will smell acidic when going bad, but otherwise is quite stable when properly stored.

BB

I have an old completely cement lined filing cabinet. Not only are the sides,top,bottom,and back lined,but the

drawers are lined on both sides,ends,and bottoms. It took six of us to move it when it was given to me.

Has a combo lock and all drawers lock at once.

I have a couple of gov. surplus flamables storage cabinets. They are double wall with external venting. I use one for rifle stuff and one for pistol. They are about 36Tx19Dx46L. They will hold plenty for me. I currently only have a little over a pound of powder and a few more than 1000 primers. ;)

Randy

Edited because I can not spell my name.

Edited by h2osport

So I have been buying more powder than usual since stuff has been so hard to get.....

Not to be a smart-a$$, but that does kind of explain it all.

VV says powder will smell acidic when going bad, but otherwise is quite stable when properly stored.

BB

Not hoarding it, just have a couple of 8 pounders and a couple of 4 pounders. Had been buying them a pound or so at a time, shooting 1500 rds or so a month.

Mine looks like this :D

post-13561-1246241261_thumb.jpg

Wow...so if your house catches fire we just look for the mushroom cloud? :)

;)

Powder is only explosive when under pressure. The fire would burn through the plastic container and just fizzle a big flame. That's why you don't see them in metal cans any more.

Mine looks like this :D

post-13561-1246241261_thumb.jpg

oooooweeeeeee.... I just broke the 11th Commandment:

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors powder, nor primers, nor cases, nor bullets... nor his progressive press, vibra-prime, or any other reloading accessories...

BCA titled this thread thusly:

How are you guys storing your powder?

In a PVC pipe with a large enough I.D. to accept the 8 pound jugs, with one end cap glued on one end and a threaded cap on the other about 3 feet into the ground. A GPS and a metal detector comes in real handy.

:ph34r:

Ooopss...did I just say that out loud??

:wacko:

Uh, you guys might want to be a little careful here showing off your powder supply.....many municipalities and states have laws (not just "recommendations"!) that limit the quantities of powder that may be stored in a private residence, and in some jurisdictions violations constitute a felony.

Uh, you guys might want to be a little careful here showing off your powder supply.....many municipalities and states have laws (not just "recommendations"!) that limit the quantities of powder that may be stored in a private residence, and in some jurisdictions violations constitute a felony.

Not to mention what your homeowners insurance co. would think about it.

Store mine in a non working refrigerator, somewhere :ph34r:

Mine is actually stored in a National Historic Landmark. It just happens to be zoned commercial and it's my place of business.

My powder and primers :D are stored separately in giant sealed Tupperware type containers with Dri-sorb in my finished basement. I keep these containers between my safe & basement wall in case of explosion. My thinking is I would only lose 1 corner of the house :huh: