Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best shooting glass lens color for grey and black

I currently wear transition len's in my glasses that work well for overcast or sunny days.

Regardless seeing the almost 10" MGM's can be problematic when its shot up with little or no paint left. Being in a rock quarry it blends in with

the greys and black thats usually the back ground.

Edited by lucas

I have found that clear works about the very best for rifle shooting both for sighting and "seeing" targets. I shoot iron sights only so I guess I can feel your pain about finding it hard to find a grey on grey target. Many a time I have had to look for the flash card or legs and just center up from there. I just wish more matches would put up backers or at least paint the damn things! :angry2:

Just as an aside I have done some testing with a full size dummy...no not me for once, in cammoflage and most patterns are much easier to see at 300 yards for a seated dummy than a shot up flasher, La-Rues are better, but still hard at times. Makes you think don't it. KurtM

Using an amber color will enhance what little contrast you have to deal with. Not the yellow that you see so frequently in shooting glasses, but a light amber shade will work best.

Alan~^~

I too have found clear to be the best all around choice for shooting. The other "shooting" tints always seem to be good at some things but not all things. Last weekend though at our monthly rifle match I mistakenly left my polorized sunglasses (Ray-Ban polycarbonate) on and the targets and the lighted reticle were all exceptionally clear and bright. I may try them on purpose a bit more. If it became overcast in the middle of the match, they probably would not be so good.

A set of Rudy Project glasses with the Photochromic lens (like your transitions) would do the trick. Norbs007 here on the forums uses them and swears by them. Too, you can the glasses where the prescription is in the lens (i.e. instead of an insert).

Let me know if you have any questions on these.

Rich

I picked up a pair of polarized sunglasses the other day and have marveled at how much crisper stuff seems to look through them. Brown targets, red steel, white steel, black steel, gray steel, etc, .... however I have also noticed that i can see things through them that are not there when i remove them????????????????????????????????????????? what was the name of that movie?

They are tinted and I've noticed that my front post loses its sharp edges when I shoot with them, if the target is close to the same color as the post, grayish black. Gee!!! aren't shot up targets that color. I much prefer clear, on cloudy overcast days, and medium brown to amber or caramel on sunny days.

I am going to try and get DeCot to make me a pair of clear polarized lenses?????????? I don't know if that is possible, if not then as little tinting as would be needed to accomplish it.

trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

I am going to try and get DeCot to make me a pair of clear polarized lenses?????????? I don't know if that is possible, if not then as little tinting as would be needed to accomplish it.

trapr

Now that would be cool, let us know what you find out please.

"I came here to kick a$$ and chew bubble gum...and I'm all out of bubble gum" Rowdy Roddy Piper in the movie They Live....but you should have know that. Next time call Mike or me and find out before trying to be funny in a post about a post...ahhh front post that is! :roflol:

hey I was being serious!!!! i can look at stuff and then take the glasses off and its not there, mostly what I see is glass tinting and stuff like that but it is pretty weird, I'll show you next time we're in the car together, its actually pretty coooool!!.

its obviously light transmission related,..............................but that was a pretty good line from the movie.

Trapr

I think that is what Joseph Smith said about glasses too! :roflol:

Warning!!! Watch which axis they "polorize" (with Decot no need to worry) If it is on the wrong axis red dots and sights can wash out entirely. Gargooles used to be polorized in the x axis and you had to turn a holosight up to the max to even see it dimly. KurtM

yeah, that could be a problem with an iron sight shooter??????????????

Actually, the ones I have I used to shoot Jamie's C-more the other day, withno problem. but I have noticed that its hard to read my phone with them on.

trapr