Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 primer catch flap fix :)

So, on my 550, the damn cotter pin, is always a mess and causes the primer catch flap to stick either up or down, both have problems... One causes primers to go everywhere, and other gets in the way of the primer bar - bad news...

I figured out that the drilled hole size in the flap and ramp is .059" and so I went to my favorite hardware store - McMaster Carr and found some pins that would be slightly undersized.

I actually tried 2 different things, both work.

One has a head on it, so you just cut it to length and then I'll tell you what to do on the other (non-head side)... The other is just a roll pin with no head on either side... Again, you just cut it to length, accounting for whatever you will use to retain it and walla - fixed.

Below are the Mcmaster Carr part numbers.

PartNumber, QTY, Description

98378A304, 1, .001" Precision Perforator Pin, .050" Pin Dia, 3/32" Head Dia, 2-1/2" O’all Length

1263K93, 1, Miniature 316 Stainless Steel Drive Shaft, 3/64" Od, 3" Length

Now how to retain the ends that don't have a head. I had some silicone tubing around and small hole punch, so I punched a couple of round disks, took a very small drill in my fingers and poked a hole thru the middle of the silicone disks and pushed them on the ends, leaving just a smidge of play so the pin will float. You could use anything really... just something simple to retain the ends... If you really wanted to, you can buy some small tubing from McMaster as well, and cut little bushings that you'd slide on the end... Just make sure you get the ID smaller than the pin OD such that it's a press to fit.

Works great and no more issues with the flapper door...

YMMV,

Alan

Edited by Alan Adamson

So, on my 550, the damn cotter pin, is always a mess and causes the primer catch flap to stick either up or down, both have problems... One causes primers to go everywhere, and other gets in the way of the primer bar - bad news...

I figured out that the drilled hole size in the flap and ramp is .059" and so I went to my favorite hardware store - McMaster Carr and found some pins that would be slightly undersized.

I had the same issue... I used a cheaper source for the pin-- the paper clip box. A section of paperclip works well in the existing hole, and has not jammed yet.

If you use a small safety pin, just open it, push the pointy end through all the holes, and snap it closed, you now have a hardened stell axle for the spent primer catcher to pivot on. :ph34r:

If you use a small safety pin, just open it, push the pointy end through all the holes, and snap it closed, you now have a hardened stell axle for the spent primer catcher to pivot on. :ph34r:

Any idea why Dillon has not fixed this issue?

It typically takes over 100K rounds to sufficiently deform the current cotter key. We are happy to mail out a replacement, but most users are more interested in fixing an issue quickly, and virtually everyone has a safety pin accessable. You can also straighten out the existing pin and reuse it.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the cotter pin on my 550 with a section of paper clip last night. Hoorah! no more primers all over the floor. Wished I would have done this years ago. Thanks for the tip.

Edited by kildar

+1 on the paper clip section.. The first of many ideas I pulled of this forum since joining... Just can't beat doing it right the first time thanks to the efforts of others!!!!