Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practicing Indoors With An Open Gun

lcarr

Because the weather is getting colder and because of the locations of local ranges, I have to do at least 2/3 of my practice indoors. Not too long ago, I switched to shooting Open with an SVI IMM Open gun. It is a little loud.

I went from using 30db ear plugs with 19db electronic muffs to using 33db ear plugs with 30db conventional muffs. However, I still feel like I've been to a rock concert after practicing. I am experiencing (hopefully temporary) diminished hearing and ringing even when using so much hearing protection that I can barely hear my timer. I fear that I am doing permanent damage and am looking for suggestions about what I could do differently when practicing indoors.

Some questions I have are as follows:

1. I have read all of the threads I could find on hearing protection, etc. However, is there something I am missing? Is there hearing protection out there rated even higher than the 33db plugs and 30db muffs I'm using currently? What are you other Open shooters using when practicing indoors? Be sure to speak up so that I can hear you. ;)

2. Should I just practice with an iron sighted, nonported gun?

3. Should I get a .22 conversion for my Open gun? This would at least let me practice with my competition gun's sight, trigger, etc.; even though the recoil characteristics would be completely different.

4. Should I get a nonported barrel for my Open gun? This seems like a good alternative at first, but, with more thought, I'm not sure that it would be any better than a .22 conversion.

Lincoln

This may sound odd, but Doug Koenig wears a full-face motorcyle helmet when he shoots the long range handgun event in the masters.

Given that you've got probably as much hearing protection as you can get, maybe you're getting a lot of blast in your face? The helmet with the 33dB reduction plugs underneath may be the ticket.

Contact an Ear doctor in your area. There are fitted foam plugs that can be made for your ear. I looked at a type called Sound Defenders that were rated at 39 db. I didn't end up getting any, but that was because I found a real cheap source for disposable 33db plugs. Also, I quit shooting indoors for about 4 years.

I looked at a type called Sound Defenders that were rated at 39 db. I didn't end up getting any, but that was because I found a real cheap source for disposable 33db plugs.

Thanks for the ideas.

I just did a quick search for the "Sound Defenders" ear plugs and found http://www.earmolds.com/sound_plugs.htm. However, according to the site, the NRR is only 25db. Also, there is a statement in the text, "Remember too that when tightly and completely inserted, compressible foam HPDs have potentially higher NRRs than custom molded devices, simply because there is less bulk in the ear to cause possible shifting of the device and because the seal takes place entirely within the ear canal." So, it's still not clear to me that they are going to do better than the 33db plugs I am using now, since I am very careful to get a good seal with them.

Lincoln

you might already know this but the plug and muffs don't work if you shoot with your mouth open.

I don't consciously shoot with my mouth open, but I guess I don't make a conscious effort to keep it shut, either. Would you please go into more detail about what the problem would be? I don't think I've ever heard of this before.

Lincoln

I have a different "indoor" shooting problem with my open gun but I thought that I'd throw it into the thread for fun.

Once a week, I drop into a pistol range at an army base that is close to the way that I drive home. As the range is usually empty, I can set up some IPSC arrays, even though movement is restricted. It is a good suplemental practice to our weekly practice at the IPSC range.

The berm and downrange area is open to the sky with large walls. Above the shooting bays is an unceilinged roof, about 20 feet above. It is noisy because the roof is thin, angled down front and back, and echoes a lot of the sound back down. The roof makes a deep "boing" sound that continues well after the shot. Cotton wool earplugs and a good set of electronic earmuffs make the noise just bearable.

But, my problem is that the blast from my open gun shakes stuff loose from under the roof. After every shot, a fine rain of dust, cobwebs and dead bugs sprinkles over me. After about 50 rounds, it stops, I guess because I've shaken everything loose that's up there. Until the next week, when it starts again... :wacko:

Regards

Peter

Bangkok, Thailand

My Open gun is in contention for the "King of Loud". It is a ported and compensated 9x25 shooting 115s with N110 or N105 powder. The N110 load burns 15.8grs of powder. It is nearly impossible to shoot more than a few shots indoors without getting a headache. The problem is less the noise as it is the concussion or pressure wave. The motorcycle helmet idea is the closest thing to a solution because it protects the area around the ears where the muffs do not cover. I have tried the helmet idea but I am not really comfortable shooting with a full face helmet on, not even my favorite Arai Quantum. Kinda makes you look like a freak on the range anyway.

I generally use the custom molded ear plugs with 29 muffs or my Pro Ears Magnum muffs outdoors. I can shoot an entire match with no headache problems at all.

You cannot open your mouth while shooting my gun. If you do it once you will never do it again. You can nearly lose consciousness from trying that. If you need any confirmation on my gun ask PaulW as he LOVES shooting my gun!

Leo

My Open gun is in contention for the "King of Loud"

Leo,

you might want to have a new S/N engraved on your gun; something that reads "MIJOLNIR" ! :o

(bet some of the superheroes comics readers will dig this out easily...no internet search allowed) ;)

lcarr

is it static practise that you do ? if so try putting up screens to deflect the soundwave and the echos from the walls or try shooting with your hands through an apeture to reduce the pressure wave you feel. for fire and movement a paintball mask might help and is lighter than a bike helmet as long as it is not of the perforated type.

i always thought "Mjolinir" was "Thor's" hammer.....

Right answer sir!

Mijolnir is Thor's (God of thunder) hammer: it can bring in lightnings, thunders and thunderstorms at command (pretty much the same as L9X25 gun... :P ).

My friend shoots a ported open gun indoors and boy does he empty the place out when he starts to shoot. I cannot shoot next to him even with those wood partitions between us. I have found that no matter how much ear protection I use it doesn't help. I think that Matt's observations are correct. The sound vibrations travel through our heads probably through bone conduction. The sound is so loud it doesn't need to go through the ear canal to rattle the eardrums. The helmet idea makes sense from that point of view.

Luckily for me I can move down a few stalls from my friend after he empties the place out!!! :D

Paul