Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Basic/advanced Technique For Ipsc Type Shooting

Jasonub

Let me begin:

shoot the activator for swingers or movers, then shoot at other static targets (1 paper or 2 poppers/ depending on your skill level)then engage the mover.

Before the beep, you should be looking at the first target that you want to engage. If you cant see the target, look at where your supposed to go

Never shoot steel as the last target before you leave a shooting position.

When changing magazines from one position to another, seat it before the second step away from the shooting position.

Call your shot everytime and shoot steel targets just like paper dont wait for them to fall, just shoot and aquire the next target.

Shoot at least 90-95 percent of total points available.

move at the first tone of the start signal.

always make sure your mags are full.

Guys pls post your recommendations or disaggrements against the above tips

:P

"alway make sure your mags are loaded"

also never put a partially loaded mag back in your pouch, you will find it during a stage. :rolleyes:

if there is a door on the stage, check if the door knob works and which way the door opens.

if you have to use your weak hand to open or push anything, keep the muzzle up around eye level so you don't sweep your weak had with it.

Focus on the shot you are taking "NOW" I did that for 2 1/2 stages in our thursday night league this last week, and can honestly say I shot them at very close to 100% of my current ability. The other 1/2 of a stage, I started to thinK about the last and next shots, with predictable results.....2 Mikes. Shoot in the moment.

Don't waste any time moving from position to position, move like Oprah going after a ham.

Video tape yourself so you can identify wasted movement.

Ask more experienced shooters for advice.

Know what you are going to do before the stage starts.

Try to never re-engage a target, a.k.a. make every shot count.

Be aware and focus on what you need to focus on.

mag seated Before your 2 steps away from position? ....... no, this is too stationary apparently you don't shoot production. you should start moving way earlier, don't waste time, but seriously putting a number to it is suicide.

Never shoot steel as the last target..... what if there are only steel there don't shoot them?

Additions.

Test all props available

watch the swingers/movers etc. as MANY times as you can during others shooting.

Get your plan in your head long before you shoot.

Relax. be as calm and smooth as if your Oprah after the ham.

Get your hits they are important right..... TIS :rolleyes:

Most important lesson i learned. when i was a beginner the "high" was while i was shooting. it was great. now that i'm a..... not beginner.... the high is the feeling AFTER i shoot and it is the BEST and only getting better.

When examining a stage with disappearing targets activated by steel, watch how fast the popper falls. Assuming you have the skill level, you can get the steel reacting in ways that give you an advantage. If the popper seems set really light, you can deliberately hit it low; this can give you an extra half second to do other things before the DT appears. (A Major caliber is a great comfort on this one, because you can pretty much bet the farm the steel will fall, even with a low hit.) If you want the steel to fall faster, hit it two or three times and you can drive it down faster and save yourself some time instead of having to wait for gravity to do its work all by itself.

Re: plans . . .

It's also best to go with ONE plan and stick with it. Switching from plan A to plan B may be necessary for a variety of reasons, but it's going to cost you time no matter. Worse yet is mixing two plans for no real reason ...

And . . . always have a plan for the actual shooting that occurs after you get up from the bed! :lol:

If you want the steel to fall faster, hit it two or three times and you can drive it down faster and save yourself some time instead of having to wait for gravity to do its work all by itself.

DT, real good advice. It would also help if you remembered which way the popper falls. (Found out the hard way that multiple shots on forward-falling PP's make it fall slower). ;)

It's good to be there for the pre-match walk-through. When they demo the poppers, you can pick up on the forward fallers. You do not want the first clue you have it doesn't fall the "right way" to be after you've "held it up" with repeated shots for a few seconds.

Also, on activators, check out the wires. If they're strung tightly between the activator and the DT, the target will appear much faster. By contrast, if they're limply dragging the ground, you'll have more time to do other things.

The single most important skill a shooter will ever learn is to know, at the instant the gun fires, precisely where the bullet will land.

This skill must process simultaneously upon the firing of the shot; thereby eliminating indecision, which increases efficiency of action.

This is what it's all about.

be

When I started this thread, I am assuming one is at the level of always seeing.

All else being equal, what has a shooter to do to win against other shooters.

Like running faster, engaging targets when you see it, etc. B)

Pls give us pointers

Jason,

When I first read your post, I had to smile.

What you are asking, is...pretty much...what this whole Forum board is all about. It is kinda hard to distill it down to individual techniques (as asked).

There are lots of thread that break down the various techniques that are used to save time...and get points...in the shooting games. There are even a few threads like this one (I think I've started at least one ;) )

I might be able to come up with a list of basic fundamentals...and organize them into a kind of pyramid, where each level builds upon the next. I could likely, then, break down each fundamental into the steps that it takes to perform that task.

What I would come up with would be my current "style". Depending on where the shooter is in their developement, my "style", or anybody else's, may be just the ticket...or it might be the worst thing for them.

We hear a lot about how the "super squad" did this, or the "super squad" all use this equipment...but, their techniques and gear don't always apply to the next shooter. If I hear that Travis T. smoked a stage by shooting a certain order on T1- T3, that doesn't mean that order will work for me. If I hear that Robbie does his transfer to weak-hand a certain way...or that Todd J. picks his gun from a table a certain way...I know that what works for me may be completely different.

Any "style", or technique, that we learn..it may be the way to go for now. But, by sticking to that style, we limit ourselves to the boundaries of that style.

For example: there is a fairly recent thread where we all go on for about three pages...on how to leave a box (or shooting position). In that thread, I talk about doing it by lifting a certian foot, others talk about lifting the opposite foot. Is one way better than the other? The answer is...it doesn't matter. All that matters is getting out of the position as fast/smooth as possible...assuming that is the goal. (I just noticed that I said "fast/smooth". That goes to show that the preconceived goal might be be a limit.)

Anyway...all that, to ask this...

What are you looking for in this thread? Are you after a list of techniques? If so, know that the list goes on and on. Do you want them from the basic foundation on up? Are you after fundamentals (Brian defines these as essential)? Are you looking to go beyond fundamentals?

Flex,

Nice insights, I just get pissed when someone shows you a better way to shoot a stage when your done shooting it. His style was faster and finshed the stage quicker.

If I shot the stage the way he did, I could have saved some time and hits will not be a problem. :D Ok sometimes its a problem, If i shoot 95 percent of the available score and he does the same, he wins!

So Im trying to find out what are the good rules of thumb/s to follow, basic,fundamentals, and beyond fundamentals if possible.

Things like when the first tone of the start signal is heard, start moving and dont wait for it to end before doing so.

Or shoot the whole stage with minimal movement and/or at minimal ports. :)

Things like these would help all of the shooters at the board by reading this post.

I want to win badly i can taste it :D Thanks for the replies and i hope more will come