Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacement lens replacement surgery

I had an appointment today to check on lens replacement surgery. I have some minor issues with cataracts in my right (dominant) eye and lasik is not an option. This lens should allow me near, middle, and far vision. After I explained to the Doctor I really needed my right eye the be as perfect as possible, he suggested doing the left one first so that any minute adjustments could be made for the right eye. My insurance covers some of the surgery and will leave me a bill for about 4k.

I've studied the procedure and checked the Doctor as thoroughly as possible. The procedure seems ideal for me at 53 with the problems that this surgery is designed to correct, and the Doctor is top notch.

Does anyone have first or secondhand results that they can share?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three guys at work. One is mid-60s, one at late-50s, another at early-50s. All three had cataracts. All three had lens replacements. All three have ditched the glasses including readers. All three would do it again tomorrow.

None went to the same doctor. BTW: Lasik will not correct cataracts.

Heard this from a mutual friend. A shooter who was your run-of-mill old guy C class shooter had lens replacement due to cataracts. He can now SEE the sights and targets. His confidence and scores are both going up.

My Dad just had his done. He is 75 and he is running around for the first time since he was 9 without glasses.

I will give you his phone # if ya wanna talk to him about it. He would love to tell you all about it, I'm sure. :)

Thanks guys these are the comments I was looking for. I think I'm going to schedule it this morning. I can get the first eye done June 30th, second one 2-3 weeks after that.

Hey Boz----Chris pointed me to your thread... because I can probably give you some worth while input since I am right in the middle of this process. My eyes had progressed into tri-focal glasses and I wasn't even close to 20/20 with them on.

I am 64 and have worn glasses or contacts since I was in the first grade. About 4 years ago I was diagnosed with a very agressive form of cataracts in both eyes. By this Spring they had both got to the place I couldn't drive at night and my vision was 20/85 and 20/90 with my newest glasses on. (I was getting new glasses every 6 months)

I had my left lense replaced on May 27th. The doc was told in advance about my shooting (I made him watch a DVD of some matches to really understand what we do). He was able to get my correction down to what is called -2. I was always able to see very near... now that's not the way it works. But the great news is that I am 20/20 from arms length to long distance. I can see my sights and targets and people a half mile away without my glasses. My right eye will be done in 10 days... then I will have to wear cheap store bought +2 reading glasses but only for real close work. After both eyes stabilize I will get new glasses to fine tune my long distance for astigmatizm and to give me reading bi-focals.

So far I am very happy. I do most anything including working on the P. C. , watch TV, drive a car, and shoot without ANY glasses. This past week end I patched my dominant right eye and shot a local IDPA match using only my (new) non-dominant left eye. I was HOA all of the match.

The Doc said with VERY thin glasses I will be 20/20 at all distances OR BETTER.

Some will suggest the multi-focal lenses that are now becoming popular. I studied the hell out of them and turned my back on them, They cost $2,500 PER EYE more than insurance will pay, if there is any after oiperation problems the insurance company's won't pay for it, and many Docs (including mine) won't do the surgery. My Doc. said if I was willing to wear thin glasses that he could give me MUCH clearer vision with the -2 solution. That was an easy choice for someone who has worn glasses for nearly 60 years.

The surgery it's self was nothing. I was in and out of the hospital in 2 hours and there was ZERO pain.

The time between the first surgery and the final eye glass fitting is not fun. I can see well enough that the Doc. took the lense out of my left eye glasses but I can't see up close out of that eye. So I have a left eye for long distance and a right for up close (for a few weeks), It can make you a little dizzy. You really can't get new lenses until each eye has about 30 dates to recover from the operation since the Rx will be constantly changing.

Good luck P.M. or E-Mail me if you want to "yack" more about this.

I can't wait to get my second one fixed. Then I get a knee replaced on August 3rd. Next year I will be a bionic shooting son of a bitch winning a bunch of matches in Super Senior Single Stack:)

Edited by MichiganShootist

After MichiganShootist what I have to offer isn't much.

I almost forgot another lens replacement patient. My aunt. Bad eyesight runs in the family. She got cataracts sometime in her mid-60s. She opted to be a guinea pig for clinical trials for one of the first lens replacement procedures. This was a good 10 years ago or more. She also ditched the glasses and never needed them again except to read very fine print.

When it comes for my time to get cataracts taken care of I won't hesitate to get this procedure done unless there is something better 10 years from now.

First eye (left) will be done on July 7th, second eye will be done 1-3 weeks after the first. Even with out of pocket expense I am looking forward to this.

Thanks Michigan Shootist for the input. I will be getting the multi-focal lenses so hopefully I will be able to see at all distances again.

So far I have heard and read nothing but good stuff about this procedure.

First eye (left) will be done on July 7th, second eye will be done 1-3 weeks after the first. Even with out of pocket expense I am looking forward to this.

Thanks Michigan Shootist for the input. I will be getting the multi-focal lenses so hopefully I will be able to see at all distances again.

It's the most common surgical procedure in the US. Most ophthalmologists love their work and do an excellent job with this. I think you will be happier, see better and get many many years of service from a new lens. I would get some really sharp clears to wear for protection. Good luck.

It's the most common surgical procedure in the US. Most ophthalmologists love their work and do an excellent job with this. I think you will be happier, see better and get many many years of service from a new lens. I would get some really sharp clears to wear for protection. Good luck.

Hadn't really thought about clear lenses, but thankfully I bought the shooters pack with my Rudy's and do have the "cool" looking clear lenses. :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I get the left eye done in the morning. Is this the last day I'll have to wear glasses? I guess I won't be shooting for a few weeks, I'm already going through withdrawel pains.... :surprise:

Boz, I'll say a little prayer for you tonight that everything goes well tomorrow. I can't wait to hear about the results- just think, after today you won't have to deal with that annoying "glasses fogging" thing that occurs, especially in the summer, when you go from a A/C cooled room out into the blazing humid heat! :D

Good luck and more important I hope you have a great doctor. You won't be able to shoot for a while, but you can dry fire.

Yeah, I do have a great doctor with an outstanding reputation. Thanks

I am watching this thread closely.

Someday...

Aughhh, Yah Old Farts :rolleyes: This surgery is a wonderfull thing! I had my left eye done last October (I was 35 at the time :angry2: ). It is great to be able to see with Binocular vision again. Most of you are lucky in that they can make it so you don't need glasses at all. I now am far sighted in that eye, but things are clear and the glasses lense is much thinner, even though it is a bifocal now.

Boz - you will defenitely want to invest in some GOOD shooting/sun glasses. I have noticed that my eyes are a bit more sensetive to the light since the surgery. CA desert probably doesn't help either tho.

I am watching this thread closely.

Someday...

Aughhh, Yah Old Farts :rolleyes: This surgery is a wonderfull thing! I had my left eye done last October (I was 35 at the time :angry2: ). It is great to be able to see with Binocular vision again. Most of you are lucky in that they can make it so you don't need glasses at all. I now am far sighted in that eye, but things are clear and the glasses lense is much thinner, even though it is a bifocal now.

Boz - you will defenitely want to invest in some GOOD shooting/sun glasses. I have noticed that my eyes are a bit more sensetive to the light since the surgery. CA desert probably doesn't help either tho.

I have a set of Rudy's Rydons with all the lenses and a set of Tifosi's for driving. That's one thing I'm really looking forward to, being able to buy "cool" sunglasses. :rolleyes:

Edited by boz1911