Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacement lens replacement surgery

I'm also not a candidate for LASIK, and my step dad had this done a couple of years ago, with incredible results.... can't figure why my eye doc didn't ever mention this... (maybe because they get a referral fee for LASIK patients???)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also not a candidate for LASIK, and my step dad had this done a couple of years ago, with incredible results.... can't figure why my eye doc didn't ever mention this... (maybe because they get a referral fee for LASIK patients???)
Lens replacement is pretty much limited to cataract patients. Here and there it has been done to correct eye injuries.

Suggest going to this thread and reading up on Lasik and ASA.

I drove him there and back. He was doing well when I dropped him back at home around 12:00, except some itching on the eye. They put a plastic guard that looks like a lens from a set of Rudy's over it and taped it down to remove the temptation to rub it. The sedative they gave him had him sleepy and he was going to take a nap.

I drove him there and back. He was doing well when I dropped him back at home around 12:00, except some itching on the eye. They put a plastic guard that looks like a lens from a set of Rudy's over it and taped it down to remove the temptation to rub it. The sedative they gave him had him sleepy and he was going to take a nap.

Thanks Mark.

Well, a little update. The surgery was pretty much painless. However yesterday afternoon was not. It felt like there was a marble in my eye with some pretty decent throbbing pain. I'm not much for medication but I did take the pain pills they provided and slept most of the afternoon and all night. My vision was like looking through vaseline yesterday after the surgery. This morining the pain is gone but everything is still swollen. My vision is still a little blurry but seems to be getting better as I get up and get going. I have a follow up appt this morning and I'll update this thread when I get back. Thanks for all the well wishes!!

Edited by boz1911

Just returned from my follow up check. The Dr. said the lens was perfectly centered and the incision was healing perfectly. He said the blurriness would virtually be gone within a week and 100% would take about six weeks. I have the right eye scheduled for the 21st. He also said I could shoot whenever I felt up to it, although I think we'll leave the open blaster home for a while.

Second day after surgery and the blurriness has really subsided. With my glasses off I can see to read this with the "new" eye but not the old eye. I may be removing a lens from my glasses this afternoon???

I pretty much worked this afternoon without glasses. My near vision with my new eye is getting really good, so much so that I resheduled doing my right eye from the 21st of this month to next Tuesday. I'm really excited about the final results. It also feels really strange not to be wearing glasses. At this point I am 110% in favor of this procedure.

I pretty much worked this afternoon without glasses. My near vision with my new eye is getting really good, so much so that I resheduled doing my right eye from the 21st of this month to next Tuesday. I'm really excited about the final results. It also feels really strange not to be wearing glasses. At this point I am 110% in favor of this procedure.

Good luck. Should go well.

Boz,

Isn't it a great feeling? :cheers: I know, because of going from leagally blind in the left eye to almost no correction. Good luck on the second eye, just remember that the heavy lifting also includes reloading. You don't want to cause any pressure build up.

Boz,

Isn't it a great feeling? :cheers: I know, because of going from leagally blind in the left eye to almost no correction. Good luck on the second eye, just remember that the heavy lifting also includes reloading. You don't want to cause any pressure build up.

Thanks, didn't think about the reloading. I have been careful so far. My only issue so far has been the fact of having one eye with great vision and the stock eye with poor vision. I tried removing a lens but that didn't work. I guess my prescription has some degree of magnification so when I removed a lens one eye saw things slightly larger than the other eye. That was weird.

I actually did a little shooting yesterday. I used some reading glasses to correct vision in my right eye. The left eye that has the new lens was really blurred with the glasses on, It was difficult to reload not having both eyes to see with but was still fun running some rounds. It's a real pain in the ass trying to see with only one eye. I can't wait until a week from now when I can see with both eyes again.

Edited by boz1911

I actually did a little shooting yesterday. I used some reading glasses to correct vision in my right eye. The left eye that has the new lens was really blurred with the glasses on, It was difficult to reload not having both eyes to see with but was still fun running some rounds. It's a real pain in the ass trying to see with only one eye. I can't wait until a week from now when I can see with both eyes again.

I hope this means you will be shooting our monthly match.

If so, let me know so we can get the Handicapped Toilet install, a parking spot designated Handicapped, and make sure all the range staff know what a white cane with a red tip means. :roflol: :roflol:

Honestly, good to hear.

Mark K

I hope this means you will be shooting our monthly match.

If so, let me know so we can get the Handicapped Toilet install, a parking spot designated Handicapped, and make sure all the range staff know what a white cane with a red tip means. :roflol::roflol:

Honestly, good to hear.

Mark K

That's the plan. Tomorrow I get the second lens and should be good to go. I'll bring my canes and hobble through the stages............

Going for the second lens this morning. Not looking forward to the pain this afternoon but I won't hesitate to take the painkillers they provide. So far the vision in my left eye that has the new implant is really good but not perfect. It's way better than my right eye though. I think some of it is the two eyes trying to focus together and the right eye not being able to. One thing I really notice is the clarity of the new lens. When I switch eye to eye the right eye has a cloudiness to it, the new eye is crystal clear. Hopefully by Thursday I'll have a really good idea of the results. The Dr. said it will take approximately six weeks for total recovery.

Trying to keep this thread updated for the shooters my age that have no lasic options, hope it doesn't bore the rest too much.

I think some of it is the two eyes trying to focus together and the right eye not being able to.
At one point during my ASA recovery one eye recovered faster than the other, primarily in the astigmatism issue. For a while it really screwed up what the combined vision should have been. Almost as if the two eyes were fighting each other over who was going to dominate. Now that the other eye has caught up that went away.

Having one cloudy lens and the other a clear one with better visual acuity will certainly mess with the brain for a while. Fully expect that once you're other eye is done that the focus issue will go away in a few days.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Glad to hear so many of you have had this much luck with the lense replacement. My dad had his first eye done on the 2nd and I believe he goes in this Thursday to have the second eye done. I've heard he has been walking around with one the lenses out of his glasses so he could walk without falling over. By the way, he had worn glasses for 50 plus years. :cheers:

Ray Van Valkenburg

Edited by Ray Van Valkenburg

The second eye is done. Just like the first the afternoon pain was pretty severe even though I took all the meds asap when I got home. This morning my right eye is pretty swollen, maybe more than the first time, but the pain is gone. As with the first eye vision today is pretty blurred, so forgive any typos. They checked my left eye yesterday and said it was 20\25 after just 6 days and said that was excellent. With very minor correction it was 20/16. It was pretty cool to drop right to the bottom of the eye chart to start with. If things are like last week, tomorrow will be a remarkable improvement.

A big thanks to Mark Ramsey (45DV8) for being my medical transportation :cheers:

They even let him watch the procedure on a monitor.

Just returned from my follow up visit. I was right I had a corneal abrasion that contributed to extra swelling this morning and the feeling something was in my eye. The Dr said the implant was perfect and put a patch similar to a contact lens over the eye. They are removing it Friday. I did tell him I plan to shoot this Sunday and fully expect to win. :surprise:

Boz -

Good to hear that your surgeries have gone well.

i do second Gary tho, It's better not to rush these things. I have a shoulder that reminds me about it frequently <_<

All I can really say is "Just take it easy and feel your way along". Your body will tell you (hopefully sooner than later).