Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where do you aim when shooting chickens?

Rob D

OKC Gun Club had a stage last weekend that was all "chicken" target setups (two targets peaking around the sides of a no-shoot as seen here)

I had to shoot the stage without much of a walkthrough because my dad was in a hurry to get home. I hit 2 no-shoots on that stage. After I shot it, I started thinking about where I was aiming. I was putting the tip of my front sight on the center of the visible portion of the target. I've heard a lot of guys say that you should aim for the center of the visible portion of the A zone, but with chickens, the center is difficult to find and is very close to the no-shoot. Where do you guys aim on these targets?

I think that classifier makes you shoot smart to do well. If you try to shoot to the "A" zone you are encroaching on the no shoot. But if you shoot for the center of "available" target, I think it will let you shoot a bit faster and, in that area, get as many "A's" as "C's".

All this from a struggling B class open shooter :roflol:

dj

While I like to aim for a consistent "target spot"...

post-690-1244818331_thumb.jpg

...because it often stays consistent through various presentations...

post-690-1244818307_thumb.jpg

For a setup like Chickens, you aren't losing a whole lot of Alpha (please imagine that the target is sideways and that my black area represents a NS):

post-690-1244820017_thumb.jpg

In reality...if the NS/hardcover is crowding...I still go want to go for the Alpha, but the corner.

The aiming area (red square) is tightened down to 2.0 -2.5 inches (which is probably good in general) compared to the 4.0 inch red square in earlier diagrams.

post-690-1244820181_thumb.jpg

Which still yields a pretty good margin of wobble...represented by the red circle which is about 6in:

post-690-1244820457_thumb.jpg

All the diagrams I posted are just gross representations. In fact, the original 4in red square is just a drawing to show what I used to like to practice on. I have 4in square stickers that are my "Alphas".

To hit within 4in...or 2in...you need to aim smaller than that.

For somebody that hasn't practiced these types of targets much, I'd suggest starting out with just an open target and then taking a thick magic marker and tracing a "target spot" onto the target (use a pop can or water bottle as a template) at various spots.

post-690-1244821748_thumb.jpg

Just practice hitting various spots with a completely open target (no hard cover and no NS's).

After you get that down, add in some hard-cover. Notice if you do anything different.

If that goes well, put a NS in the mix.

Your groupings should not change. If they do, you are losing some focus on hitting what you want to hit (positive execution) vs. not hitting the hard cover or NS (avoiding the negative).

For a setup like Chickens, you aren't losing a whole lot of Alpha (please imagine that the target is sideways and that my black area represents a NS):

I was going to say when I shoot at chickens I aim for the blue one... however, I like Flex's reply here better.

+1 Nice illustrations.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Flex. I lost track of this thread for a while, and came back to find all this great stuff. What you said about picking a consistent spot makes complete sense. I'm going to go home and marker off a square for dry fire tonight. Thanks again. :cheers:

From Max and Travis.....center of the available area.

AL

That's good general guideline. Depending on the target/no-shoot relationship and distance however, I wouldn't always stick to that.

In general, the more difficult the shot, the more you go for the middle.

But if the target was close and the A-zone was fully visible, I'd probably go for the A's. One example - target is at 5 yards, and there's a no-shoot on the left side of the target, and the right edge of the no-shoot is on the left edge of the A box.

be

I'm sorry, I'm in a silly mood and I can't resist this any longer.

Question: Where do you aim when shooting chickens?

Answer: I try to blow their little heads off and watch them run around the yard flapping their wings.

Again, I'm really sorry about that. I'm gonna pay for this one, I know...

After you get that down, add in some hard-cover. Notice if you do anything different.

No Shoots/hard-cover can certainly be bullet magnets if you concentrate on *not* hitting them. No shoots seem to be stronger though...

Edited by Middle Man

No Shoots/hard-cover can certainly be bullet magnets if you concentrate on *not* hitting them. No shoots seem to be stronger though...

Sometimes the polarity seems reversed, and they push shots away from them.

Both true. That's why it's best to just pick your spot and completely ignore them.

I was just thinking of a good drill to practice shooting A's when you really could but might be scared to.

Set up 3 targets el presidente-style at 7 yards. Put one no-shoot on each target so that the full A-zone is just visible. And "switch-up" where you put the no-shoots. For example, on the left target, put the right edge of the no-shoot on the left edge of the A-zone. Then reverse that for the next two targets. And shoot it with or without the turn. Shoot it for a bit, then move the no-shoots around and shoot it some more.

be

"Chickens" is a goofy title.

It refers to a classifier stage for USPSA...that has "Chickens" in the title. (I think there is a link to an example in the first post.)

Basically, we are talking about partial target exposures, with a No-shoot/penalty target covering part of them.

I was just thinking of a good drill to practice shooting A's when you really could but might be scared to.

Set up 3 targets el presidente-style at 7 yards. Put one no-shoot on each target so that the full A-zone is just visible. And "switch-up" where you put the no-shoots. For example, on the left target, put the right edge of the no-shoot on the left edge of the A-zone. Then reverse that for the next two targets. And shoot it with or without the turn. Shoot it for a bit, then move the no-shoots around and shoot it some more.

be

Sounds like an awesome idea. By varying the no-shoots I'll be making it harder and harder for myself to consciously avoid them. Hopefully after enough repetitions, all the obstructions will kind of blur together in my head and the only thing left to focus on will be the exposed A-zone. I'll definitely work on that. Thanks Brian. :bow:

Edited by Rob D

• 3 weeks later...

I was doing dry-fire drills with No-shoots last night, and my mind wandered to this popular optical illusion. Somebody may have pointed this out before(in fact on this forum they probably have), but I thought it was worth stating anyway.

illusion.jpg=noshoot.jpg

There are no faces, just shoot the vase.

Now imagine the above picture with the single target as a slow swinger and the N/S are steel and thats the stage we had at Area 7!

Most ended up firing hopers as the target went by and either tagged A's or took a miss, and the target took so long to return that it wasn't worth the make up. So you choice was fire hopers and likely suck up a miss or wait for the return swing and take an even bigger points hit.

I of course took option "C"

Notice that the target sits a bit low between the N/S's, and the area of the D zone is quite a bit larger as the target swings by. I tagged 2 D's, had all day to do it, and placed 3rd on the stage.

Sometimes it is worth taking a points hit....

Pat, I appluad your ingenuity! Lately I have noticed that sometimes doing something that is a little different may be the best for me. Might not be the "correct" way, or general consensus among the gurus, but if it fits my game then I'll do it. Good job recognizing that advantage, sometimes simpler is just better.