Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No Shoot not scored and 9.7.4

boo radley

I sometimes see (surprisingly frequently) a no-shoot target that's been hit, but not noticed by the RO/Scorekeeper and (possibly) the shooter.

Here's my question:

Shooter finishes the COF. The RO/Scorekeeper score the targets and the shooter & scorekeeper total the scores, record the time and sign the sheet.

A few minutes later another competitor on the squad says, "Hey! The guy hit this no shoot", and points to a hole in a no-shoot. Per the rule 9.7.4 does the shooter have a right to protest changing the score-sheet? Thx

Stage 2 of the SC Match this past weekend I hit a NoShoot. It was while shooting through the barrel and I noticed it right away and made it up. It was missed when the scorekeeper went around but I brought it to their attention before signing the sheet. Yeah, it would have bumped me up a position in the final results but I wouldn't have slept well.

Another thing I learned from John2A this weekend was to paste the hardcover (walls, props, etc) so that we could tell if the current shooter put one through the wall vs the hole was there from yesterday.

I sometimes see (surprisingly frequently) a no-shoot target that's been hit, but not noticed by the RO/Scorekeeper and (possibly) the shooter.

Here's my question:

Shooter finishes the COF. The RO/Scorekeeper score the targets and the shooter & scorekeeper total the scores, record the time and sign the sheet.

A few minutes later another competitor on the squad says, "Hey! The guy hit this no shoot", and points to a hole in a no-shoot. Per the rule 9.7.4 does the shooter have a right to protest changing the score-sheet? Thx

I think at this point, no.

If I was the shooter, I would immediately appeal, if I thought I didn't hit it. Personally, if I thought that I might have hit it, I wouldn't complain, but you know there are people out there who would, just because they could (you know... range lawyers... :sight: )

The argument? How do you know it was me that hit it. If the RO/Scorekeeper missed it once, how do you know it hadn't been missed for the last 2, 3, or 4 shooters or so. It's not mine... it's an old, unpasted hit.

Frank

The argument? How do you know it was me that hit it. If the RO/Scorekeeper missed it once, how do you know it hadn't been missed for the last 2, 3, or 4 shooters or so. It's not mine... it's an old, unpasted hit.

Frank

Absolutely - some RO's get into their groove of how they walk and score, and sometimes (unfortunately) that includes not checking all the no-shoots. I shot with a very astute junior for whom this scenario came up. When someone said "hey you tagged this no shoot" - he immediately replied "already signed the form :roflol: " No wonder he was so quick to get the paper from me to sign! LOL

~Mitch

Guys unfortunately us RO's do miss a no shoot, it is rare but it does happen. Last weekend at a major match on my stage after scoring was complete, as I checked the stage to make sure it was all ready to go props set targets taped, there it was a No Shoot.

In this case it was inconsequential the little lady had several Mike's and had dropped her mag prematurely and had a couple of ugly jams. The score sheets were signed, so it was let go.

In the case of shooting thru the barrel, since it is impenatrable hard cover a hit should not be scored either good or no shoot. A lot of times you will see the barrels dancing as the shooter shoots lets say 5 or 6 times at a target, you get there and there are two holes, kind of hard to figure out which ones went thru the barrel.

I got two no shoots with one shot. It went thru the first no shoot broke the edge of the perf continued thru the stick and took a slight right turn and hit another no shoot breaking its purf. Since I had fired several shots in that array it was not possible for the RO to determine it was in fact one shot that hit both no shoots, but I knew it.

Back to your questions. As an RO if the no shoot is pointed out during scoring ok, your not going to make any friends that way but it will get scored. After scoring is complete and remember by this time people have touched and taped targets, I won't score the no shoot but I will make sure it gets patched up. If you missed it scoring did you miss it on more than one shooter and or did a paster fall off or get brushed off by some one walking by the target. I don't think that you could win a protest since the targets had been touched.

Edited by CocoBolo

In the case of shooting thru the barrel, since it is impenatrable hard cover a hit should not be scored either good or no shoot. A lot of times you will see the barrels dancing as the shooter shoots lets say 5 or 6 times at a target, you get there and there are two holes, kind of hard to figure out which ones went thru the barrel.

Had a lengthy discussion about using barrels as hard cover or soft cover with George Jones recently as I work through the CRO course. George made an excellent case for declaring barrels as softcover in the WSB for precisely this reason. I'm beginning to understand why minimizing potential scoring problems should be a fundamental criteria of developing a COF.

Curtis

Back to your questions. As an RO if the no shoot is pointed out during scoring ok, your not going to make any friends that way but it will get scored. After scoring is complete and remember by this time people have touched and taped targets, I won't score the no shoot but I will make sure it gets patched up. If you missed it scoring did you miss it on more than one shooter and or did a paster fall off or get brushed off by some one walking by the target. I don't think that you could win a protest since the targets had been touched.

Hmm...OK, so basically once the score card is signed, it's entirely up to the shooter (and his/her conscience) whether to accept a correction, and the penalty target?

Hmm...OK, so basically once the score card is signed, it's entirely up to the shooter (and his/her conscience) whether to accept a correction, and the penalty target?

Yes, that is the bottom line.

So you are out shooting a stage and while you are shooting the stage

you see your round go into the no shoot. When they score the stage

no one else saw it and the score sheet has been signed!

What are you going to do?

You shot it. If it was a hit on a brown target that didn't get scored, you

would be arguing about not getting all your hits!!

There are some shooters that do play it straight, are you one of them?

It does happen even at the nats.

I had a shooter one year that hit a noshoot and it was missed when

the stage was scored. After everything was signed and done with another

shooter showed the hit on the noshoot to the shooter. He came back and

had us add that to his score sheet. Wouldn't take no for an answer even

they told him the sheet had been signed. Didn't matter, he said he hit it he

wants it.

Now that is a straight up shooter!

And all he riding on it was a win at the Nationals. (The guys initials, RL)

Duane

Correct. 9.7.4 does allow for post-signing changes, among other caveats, with the "mutual consent of the competitor and the signatory RO." "Another competitor's" post-mortem observation may be interesting (and one trusts, educational going forward), but is irrelevant - what the CRO called and the RO recorded is definitive.

So, there's "The Rule Thing" to do ("hee-hee, got away with THAT one!"/"already signed, can't penalize me now"...even though I know I hit it) and "The Right Thing" to do ("you're right, there was a N/S hit, I agree to/insist on the correction") - it comes down to the individual competitor's ethics.

Absolutely - even at the "pro" level - or maybe especially at the pro level. I wouldn't be able to put a point value on my integrity. I like what Floyd said "The Rule Thing to Do" versus "The Right Thing to Do".

~Mitch

I've been working major matches for a little while now, plus a bumper crop of local events, and provide the scoring servcies for a few of our large-ish local outdoor matches. My integrity is worth a helluva lot more than the few points I would gain by turning my head while a penalty of mine gets missed.

At two different majors I've refused to sign a scoresheet because the CRO didn't want to record a penalty that he missed. I dug my heels in and made them put it on the scoresheet.

Doing the right thing means doing it even when no one is looking.

IMO, absolute honesty (with yourself at least) is required to get to the top of this game.

If you can't be completely honest with what you saw and did, in practice or a match, you can't improve it. "It was probably an A" often means "I won't admit I didn't call it".

I don't think it's a coincidence that the consistently top shooters also tend to be very honest and responsible about what they did or didn't shoot.

This is another thing it took me a long time to learn.