Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2009 Rio Salado Desert Classic / Area 2

In case anybody is interested, I put together a pic showing where the stages are usually placed. It will give you some idea how large the stages may be. Keep in mind, the Rio folks are pretty crafty in stacking barrels in exactly the wrong place... :devil:

RioSalado.pdf

Later,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope that the pictured stages match the real thing to some extent. I remember last years stage descriptions not looking anything like they did in person. I have some hope though as the stage description pictures this year look more refined to start off with. We will see when we get there. Either way, they will get shot with a smile :cheers:

I have never found stage descriptions useful except to show me what starts to practice and mebbe what movers to work on. Here it looks like swingers w/ limited exposure time - something I definitely don't consider a strong point :wacko:

In case anybody is interested, I put together a pic showing where the stages are usually placed. It will give you some idea how large the stages may be. Keep in mind, the Rio folks are pretty crafty in stacking barrels in exactly the wrong place... :devil:

RioSalado.pdf

Later,

Chuck

Nice work Chuck!

I did some digging and there will not be a match on Wednesday Nov 11th at the Scottsdale Gun Club. But there will be a match at the Ben Avery range on Thursday the 12th.

Does anyone know of any other pistol shooting opportunities that week other than those two and the Area 2 match?

I did some digging and there will not be a match on Wednesday Nov 11th at the Scottsdale Gun Club. But there will be a match at the Ben Avery range on Thursday the 12th.

Does anyone know of any other pistol shooting opportunities that week other than those two and the Area 2 match?

Does the Ben Avery range have a website?

I hope that the pictured stages match the real thing to some extent. I remember last years stage descriptions not looking anything like they did in person. I have some hope though as the stage description pictures this year look more refined to start off with. We will see when we get there. Either way, they will get shot with a smile :cheers:

Most matches don't have matching drawings. They are normally closely related ideas but the stage start should be the same or pretty dang close. Don't count on the stage looking like the drawings.

Thursday night steel (as mentioned above :rolleyes: ) http://www.phoenixrodandgun.org/

Thursday Night Steel is now only on the first Thursday of the month which will be the 5th in November. The calendar still shows every Thursday but if you dig down to the Practical Schedule you'll see it changed there.

There I go, looking at the calendar for dates of events. Next time I will look for the other calendar. <_<

(ETA: I guess there is still some obfuscation that need eschewing)

Edited by ChuckS

There likely will be a match at Scottsdale Gun Club.

Scottsdale Gun Club's current plans are to reschedule their normal monthly USPSA pistol match to the second Wednesday (the 11th) of November to provide an additional shooting opportunity Desert Classic week. You won't find this on their website, and their general sales personnel may not even be aware of the change---it can be an administratively challenging organization. The November match held Desert Classic week has been very popular in the past so it can run longer than usual. Patience is required, as the first two stages need to be run entirely before switchover to stages three and four, which always are shorter and run faster. (Enjoy the gunstore and BS with your friends while you wait). My hope is that they will begin the match in the afternoon and cutoff entries earlier than normal to better accomodate the crowd. Call the club when you arrive in town or pm me to confirm, as this is not yet official.

---John

There likely will be a match at Scottsdale Gun Club.

Scottsdale Gun Club's current plans are to reschedule their normal monthly USPSA pistol match to the second Wednesday (the 11th) of November to provide an additional shooting opportunity Desert Classic week. You won't find this on their website, and their general sales personnel may not even be aware of the change---it can be an administratively challenging organization. The November match held Desert Classic week has been very popular in the past so it can run longer than usual. Patience is required, as the first two stages need to be run entirely before switchover to stages three and four, which always are shorter and run faster. (Enjoy the gunstore and BS with your friends while you wait). My hope is that they will begin the match in the afternoon and cutoff entries earlier than normal to better accomodate the crowd. Call the club when you arrive in town or pm me to confirm, as this is not yet official.

---John

I am checking with Eddie Garcia on this. I will report back as soon as I know.

Later,

Chuck

Hi everyone,

We will be having our monthly USPSA match at the Scottsdale Gun Club on the second Wednesday of the month instead of the third to support the shooters who wish to shoot another match before the Desert Classic. The match date will be November 11. Usually we start shooting at 5:15-5:30 with a mandatory new to SGC shooters meeting at 5:10 or so. I am in talks with mangement to let us start the shooting earlier and have another staff member do the new shooter orientation but they have still not given me he go ahead yet. Also like John said we do ten to have a fairly large turnout on this particular match and the wait ime between the first two stages to the third and fourth can be extensive on he order of a hour and a half or so. we will have 4 stages total of which one will be a classifier. Feel free to PM me with any and all questions and thanks for our suport.

Tony Lucani

PS Eddie is sill here at the club but has moved up to management and no longer runs the matches.

I know everyone is excited about this years match and it promises to be another great time.

The shooting squad list will not be available until you pick up your registration information.

Please be patient until then as the staff is very busy with last minute match details and their own personal time as well.

Thank You

• 2 weeks later...

Two environmental things. Temps Saturday morning are supposed to be 46. The Cliff Walsh hot tub shooting ensemble might not be the best choice. The other thing is if you have seasonal allergies you might bring your Flonase. Stuff is still growing/blooming here in the desert.

Nov 13 Friday

Partly cloudy. Highs in the low 70s and lows in the mid 40s.

Nov 14 Saturday

Sunny. Highs in the upper 60s and lows in the mid 40s.

Nov 15 Sunday

More sun than clouds. Highs in the low 70s and lows in the mid 40s.

The annual crisis: shorts or long pants?

Later,

Chuck

Nov 13 Friday

Nov 14 Saturday

Nov 15 Sunday

Later,

Chuck

Just borrow JMan's tearaway stripper pants. Warm and cold weather gear!

Edited by jasmap

Nov 13 Friday

Nov 14 Saturday

Nov 15 Sunday

Later,

Chuck

Just borrow JMan's tearaway stripper pants. Warm and cold weather gear!

This is getting entirely too personal...