Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips for getting people intersted in Shooting

Bodacious

Howdy all.

I am having a problem getting people interested in shooting sports, more specifically going to some of the more mainstream matches. There are local events, sure, but there are limits on how far the local competitions go and don't offer anywhere near the experience that a larger event does.

I live in the Texas panhandle and just graduated college. I have more time to pursue my hobbies but the geographic location limits where I can go for larger events. Regardless I have a good job and am not married or have any kids so time is on my side. Cost of the events is not a factor either.

I am trying to look for people to split the cost of gas/lodging and share in the fun of the events. I have posted on the local forums and talked to people at the events and it seems to me a lot of people are flakes. Of the few threads I have posted on one local forum all anyone talks about in the threads is complaining about the cost and the physical activity involved.

Can you all offer any tips on getting others involved? Anything will help.

First off, welcome!

The best way is probably to get shooters hooked on the sport by shooting local matches and they will want to shoot bigger matches eventually as they get more comfortable with it. Another option is to make friends with guys that are already shooting the local matches and talk them into traveling to bigger matches with you.

I've been blessed to have a good group of friends that are as crazy about shooting as I am and that aren't afraid to travel for a good match.

My suggestion is to go to the matches you want to attend, then come back & if you have a great time, you will bleed this excitement on anyone interested enough to listen to you. It won't be long until someone shows up that expresses more interest than other folks.

Where are you in the panhandle? I'm down here in Lubbock. If you are close, I go to lots of matches. Here is our club: www.wtps.us .

Holler at me if I can help in anyway.

MLM

I am in Amarillo.

I am mostly into 3gun/Multigun but as I look more into other aspects of competition shooting I am considering doing more.

My desire is to compete, not plan and organize, but if thats what it take I guess I have to step up.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, and I do understand.

Are you shooting the Johnson 3-gun? I'll be shooting that one. I may travel through Amarillo on the way up on Friday or I may go west first. Kind of 6 of 1, half dozen of the other as far as time & miles go. I've got a cousin in Hartley I may stop to see so it will probably be up your way.

If you shoot that match, look me up. I'll be shooting the bright yellow Firebird AR. Can't hardly miss it.

MLM

Edited by mlmiller1

complaining about the cost and the physical activity involved.

seems to be a pretty common thing these daya, if it doesnt involve sittin on their butt haveing a beer it is too much effort.

took my dad to a favorite fishing hole once during deer season, the guys that probably brag how far they walk hunting didnt even know their was any water nearby and were busting us how we were getting a deer with a fishing rod

The problem I see is that all to frequently the experienced shooters in my area and here on this board push the new shooters toward buying STI/SVI products right out of the starting gate instead of directing them to shoot what ever they own for a couple of matches to see if they like it. Start up cost is a big issue to most people. I still shoot Paras by the way. It is my belief that a new shooter should start in Production class for a couple of reasons. First is the cost. cheap to get into and shoot (ammo). Second, it forces a shooter to concentrate on there accuracy from the start. I find there are less bad habits formed by going production first.

I see a lot of new shooters come and go. This sport ain't easy and it ain't exactly cheap. That eliminates a lot of people right off the bat. I'm at a point where I can see the fire in certain shooters, those are the guys/girls that will continue on. They are also the ones that will travel to matches, share expenses, etc. Welcome and good luck. :cheers:

I used to bass fish, had the $20,000 bassboat and all the gear. I used to work with people who talked all about fishing and how much they liked it, I would have prefered a partner like you but when I asked I would get comments like, "dont you need a fishing liscense ? " or they would expect me to pay for everything, or I'd go through all the trouble of waiting, getting the boat ready, driving 1-2 hours, get out in the water and hear, well I gotta be home around 2.

Moral is just go do what you want and figure on doing it alone.

I am having a problem getting people interested in shooting sports, more specifically going to some of the more mainstream matches.

Traveling to a match to shoot is one thing, traveling just to watch is another. If you are asking how to get shooters to go to major matches, that's not easy. A lot of people will feel intimidated by the level of competition.

If you are asking how to get people to travel any distance to a major match to watch, that might be a tough sell to someone who is not already very interested in the sport.

The problem I see is that all to frequently the experienced shooters in my area and here on this board push the new shooters toward buying STI/SVI products right out of the starting gate instead of directing them to shoot what ever they own for a couple of matches to see if they like it.

Very good advice I would say. I have just started and only shot in informal 3 gun matches and am using my Glock 21. I plan to keep on using that. In the results for a match at the link that mlmiller1 posted the GM was in production class so it seems to me that there is a lot more to shooting proficiently than what brand or how nice your gun is, unless it is a lorcin or something. I plan on using my glock 21 for quite a while.

I see a lot of new shooters come and go. This sport ain't easy and it ain't exactly cheap. That eliminates a lot of people right off the bat. I'm at a point where I can see the fire in certain shooters, those are the guys/girls that will continue on. They are also the ones that will travel to matches, share expenses, etc. Welcome and good luck. :cheers:

I think that is why I am going to just jump in head first. After looking at this sight a while and with mlmiller1 link above I have 3 matches to look forward to next month and a lot more after that. I am a young guy and have a long ways to go.

I used to bass fish, had the $20,000 bassboat and all the gear. I used to work with people who talked all about fishing and how much they liked it, I would have prefered a partner like you but when I asked I would get comments like, "dont you need a fishing liscense ? " or they would expect me to pay for everything, or I'd go through all the trouble of waiting, getting the boat ready, driving 1-2 hours, get out in the water and hear, well I gotta be home around 2.

Moral is just go do what you want and figure on doing it alone.

I have experienced that on a much smaller scale with hunting trips. I guess I will have to get used to that fact that by and large people are lazy.

Bodacious,

I sent you a PM. Feel free to ask Denise to squad you with us if you want to?

Shout at me if you need any help with anything. I do suggest you get your hotel reservations right away, Pueblo fills up fast! My wife found me a deal at a place called "Guesthouse Inn" I think. Looks ok in the pics & the price is not bad. Also, it isn't too far from the range. Last year I stayed up in the city of Fountain which wasn't a bad drive but I was hoping to get a little closer this year.

Last year our club held 3-gun matches but we have new officers & just doing the pistol matches is taking all their time so far. We have the space to hold some reasonable 3-gun matches or practice. If you get a chance, you could come down & you & I could set up some stages & shoot some. We have one bay out to 200-225yds approx. We have some rifle steel & supposedly will have more soon. We also have plenty of pistol/shotgun bird shot rated steel. I would enjoy the company on June 20th. I am planning to be out at the range doing a little last minute practice. I'll have to start & quit early that Saturday so I can get to the Fire Station that eve but you could get in a little practice on whatever you may need, to a point, anyway. www.wtps.us

MLM

Edited by mlmiller1

Just do your own thing; people are pretty flaky....people are pretty lazy......and getting up and driving in a car with your guns that you don't know how to shoot to a place you've never been to shoot with people you don't know

AND THEN GETTING YOUR BUTT KICKED

can be kinda intimidating. I've been doing this for 9 years; I work in the firearms "community" and I don't think I've gotten more than one or two even directly interested in shooting.

Just shoot. My experience has been that people who need to have their hand held don't stick with it anyways.

FY42385

I love this sport. Almost hard not to talk about it to everyone I know. Things I've learned in 4 or 5 years of competition.

1. Lots of gun folks, very few shooters. I'm talking about people outside of the USPSA/IDPA circle.

2. 1 1/2 people out of 4 I've talked into attending a match are hooked. One guy is young and with family, he's the 1/2. Other guy is full blown addicted.

3. I think the average "C" shooter intimidates most people.

4. Some people collect coins, some stamps, some guns. Doesn't mean any of them know much about the use of what they collect, or want to know.

I think most handgun owners have a fascination with handguns, don't shoot very much, never draw from a holster, have never leaned around a barricade, etc... One or two days a year they break out a couple guns and shoot cans, spend the rest of the year talking about how good they are and that 30 yard beer can shot with such and such weapon. Our reality minimizes thier "beer can shot", frankly it intimidates them.

I think that a low level match with our safety rules (USPSA/IDPA) with straight up stages (easy paper/steel) might get people more involved. It's something we have been kicking around at my home club. Really take the pressure off, and just have fun and shoot while introducing the new person to our game in the most basic way. Of course this is just my humble opinion.

I'm really working on introducing our younger shooters to the practical pistol sports. Since I coach SCTP (shotgun sports), I have a pool of around twenty youth to work with. I let them all know that I am available to help with pistol shooting.

I took two of them, one boy and one girl, to the range last year and let them shoot a .22 and a 1911. They both enjoyed it and said they had fun. I told them to let me know anytime they wanted to shoot and learn more. So far they have not asked about it. Many of them have supportive parents and can afford it. I wish I new how to recruit them for good.

Just do your own thing; people are pretty flaky....people are pretty lazy......and getting up and driving in a car with your guns that you don't know how to shoot to a place you've never been to shoot with people you don't know

can be kinda intimidating. I've been doing this for 9 years; I work in the firearms "community" and I don't think I've gotten more than one or two even directly interested in shooting.

Just shoot. My experience has been that people who need to have their hand held don't stick with it anyways.

FY42385

I think that is what is motivating me the most. I have shot in some very informal 3gun matches. Last match a couple of guys who shoot IDPA, one with a limited STI gun and the other with a Single stack or limited 10, shot in the match and just tore up the pistol part of the match. In an effort to improve I have to compete more and practice more.

I am not ashamed to admit that in my younger days I played online MMO games. I got whooped a lot but I was able to stick with it until I was able to run with the best. Now USPSA seems like I can transition that attitude into this sport.

can be kinda intimidating.

Agree completely.

If you can lead the horse to water but can't make him drink, then why waste your energy leading him? He'll find it if he's thirsty.

I tried and tried and tried to get people out. Even got a couple people to come out over the years. They all came ONCE. Whatever. If they want to shoot they know how to get a hold of me. One of my buddies is hooked after I got him started. But I think he had the thirst and would have found the water without me.

-rvb