Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Manual Rifle

uscbigdawg

Does the Bushnell 5-15 have target turrets? If not you'll be at a disadvantage due to the different ranges. The Remington DM never ran worth crap that's why they are no longer made. I would look at on of the wrist ammo holders rather than on the rifle. Less movement to reload.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a rem 700pss in .308 which shoots very nicely with hand loads 1/2 moa or better, Box stock gun. I also have a rem 700 full heavy varminter in .243 it shoots like a house on fire. Much flater and tighter than the .308 until 600 yards. I regularly get to shoot the .308 out to 1k yards. I might have to consider throwing the .243 in a AICS stock and put it back to work. It has been getting too much "SAFE" time lately.

Both weigh about the same and if I full dress the .243 it might weigh more than the Number 7 contour barel on the Pss

Your right about the scope Chris . Somebody needs to call Stony Point and light a fire under them about making some target knobs for the Bushnells . Oh well , with all the money I save by not kicking down for a McMillan or an AICS I can spend a little more on a scope .

Chriss,

Since you've got the evil demons of plastic (credit cards) dancing in my head, how does this sound:

Remington 700

Kreiger SS barrel in .260 (although others are convincing me on 6XC as factory brass comes out soon)

AICS (non fold up model)

AI mags

Badger mount

HorusVision scope w/ their software

Harris bi-pod

V-Tac or Quick Cuff sling

Any thoughts on which contour?

I yield to you great spendor of other people's money. :P

Thanks again for the help.

Rich

Picked up a used .243 VLS with a 4-16 Sightron S2 today for 650 bucks . I have a Leupold one piece base already so next thing on the list is some Burris offset rings to give me an extra 20 moa . I think I will put the scope on my AR and keep searching for a 4-14 with target knobs .

Rich,

Looks like a winner. On the AICS stick with the 1.0 instead of the 1.5. You can remove the bolt easier and use a bore guide with out having to mess with the Adjustable cheeck piece. If you find you need to to raise your cheeck weld use an Eagle or BHI cheeck piece. Check with Dennis and see if you need the 20 MOA cant base with the HV scope or not. (if you want to go 1000 or more) What brake are you going with?

I'm looking at the Answer brake or the Ops. Inc.

Paraman,

4-14 or 6.5-20 will work well. I like the extra magnification for streching things out past 800 yds.

• 1 month later...

Hi Chriss,

As for a brake, I was actually thinking of JP's Cooley Comp. Obviously bored out for .264 (I've decided to go with a .260). No real preferences or baselines to establish an opinion on though.

Anything I should stay away from?

Any suggestions on a barrel contour?

Rich

B)

Rich,

My MOR took a slight turn. The PSS in .308 shot so damn good I'm leaving it as is, almost. It is shooting .25-.3 MOA with handloads. I had the Barrel cut back to 24 and a brake put on it. My local GS did the work and built the brake. I haven't shot a lot of large caliber rifles with brakes but this one works and the BOSS style work good too. I'm not really convinced that there is much difference in the rifle brakes other than cosmetics. Angled ports are more for sound reduction than recoil reduction. Get one that doesn't have ports on the bottom or you'll hate going prone. Barrel contour you want something in the Heavy barrel profile. When this barrel goes I'll rebarrel it in .260. Send me an email and I'll send a couple pictures of it.

Hi Mickster

about the Lee Enfield you will find that it is good enough for the job as long as you get a good one. try for at least a 4 groove barrel and preferably a no.4 action, they are faster to manipulate than a mauser and take charger clips through the top as well. if in standard division then you want the micrometer adjust sights rather than the sliding leaf type.the lee comes in TWO "factory" calibres 7.62 nato(.308) and .303. if the idea of a turnbolt does not appeal then look at a Scmidt-Rubin in 6.5 swiss, this seems to be the new (v-old) topdog but ammo is a pain as are charger clips. if you want more info then just post up saying so.

Hey Chriss, I would like to see the brake your smith made up too. I am going to put the JP tank brake on mine, Since I tried one and it was so smooth, Also played with the vias brake and the Cooley comp But only on a limited Ar. I will also swap some Pics with you. I think you are kind of local to me, You are in PA right? We got a hidden spot down here that you would not believe. Last Sunday we went out to 1300 yards that is the longest I ever streched out with a .308 It was a nice day almost no wind, took 7 shots to find the steel then it was pretty repeatable. Was out of scope though took 59 MOA up and a little high hold due to scope running out of adjustment. We are gong to build a .338 since this spot can go over 2000 yards easily. Maybe we can hook up some time if it is not too far. Just got the AICS on it but have not shot it yet, Only got it Monday night. Keith

Keith,

Send me your email and I'll send off the pictures. You shoot at Topton or York?

1300 is a stretch for the .308. It usually goes subsonic around 1100 and really messes up accuracy. I'm thinking about building up a .338 RUM. 300 grain SMK's with 2000+ ft/lbs at 1000! I have a place out in western PA that borders my brothers property with gongs at 3,5 8 and 1000.

• 4 weeks later...

I am looking at the Sierra reloading manual and can not find a .260 cal anything. When you say a 260 do you really mean a 6.5mm (.264) or do you mean a .243 (6mm)

Also I am building a rifle for mor. I found my local gun shop selling new remington 700 ADL in 243 for $371. So I got one. Now I am going to get the AICS with the 10 rd mags. they are made for the 308 cal cases, this means .308, .243 or 7mm-08 if you want to use the magazine. IMHO the 6.5 bullet has the best ballistics on paper. If I wanted to build the gun to shoot a 6.5mm bullet with a 308 case so they will fit in the AICS magazine what do I do. I can not find a 6.5mm cartridge base on the 308 case. I would welcome any comments or suggestions.

Thanks

Scott

Hi Scott,

Yes. The .260 Remington, uses a .264 bullet. And, it will work in the AICS (like anything else, with some massaging.

In looking at the smaller end of the spectrum for calibers, the 4 that it came down to (for me) were:

6mm XC

.260 Remington

6.5 x 55

7mm-08

After that it came down to the 'classic' argument of .260 vs. 7-08. I eliminated 6.5 x 55, just 'cause I didn't like it. I eliminated 6 XC as it's wildcat and up until recently there was no brass available. I ended up with the .260 because, while the 7-08's BC allows it to buck the wind better, it drops pretty fast out around 400-600 yards. With .260, I have a little less forgiveness in the wind, but it's not dropping.

Sierra makes a ton of bullets for the .260 Remington (i.e. .264) and it's a "factory" caliber. I found loads in the Speer Manual, along with other manuals, and just quit checking so honestly can tell you that I haven't looked in the Sierra manual yet.

If it's still not there, call Sierra, they might have some info laying around.

Rich

After some reserch the 260 rem is really the 6.5mm-08. What I really want is a 6.5mm-08 ackley improved 40. this is also know as the 260 remington 40 degree. this would give increased case capacity and help with throat erotion. the cases are easy to make you just use a factory 260 case and fire form it.