Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Losing Focus

Lee King

Several times when I have been practicing, I just start to lose it. Miss a lot. Can't get the drill right. Eventually my mental state goes from solving the problem to frustration. In Brian's book he says when you start to lose focus stop practicing. I have heard this from others as well.

My question(s) is, you don't have that ability during a match. You have to buckle down and work through it. I guess you can quit. But I never see that as an option for me. So with that in mind, do you look at focus as a drill in and of itself? When you catch yourself losing focus, do you take the opportunity to work through it as you would have to do if you were in a match? How does practice differ from a match (I'm sure there are good reasons it does so I'm asking)? Does anyone have any techniques they have found useful to get their head back in the game when they start to lose it?

I usually find if I am having trouble with focus is that I haven't hydrated and eaten enough during the day.

even though I hate eating a big meal on match day, I still bring a lot of snack to eat during the match.

usually things like trail mix, fruit snacks, fruit, jerky, a package of tuna or chicken and a lot of fluids. I usually bring a selection so I can have different tastes.

I find this really helps me keep from getting tired and my mind from wandering.

during a practice. I generally will stop shooting drills. what I do sometimes is switch to a .22 and do something else. like shoot clay birds or lumps of dirt. still shooting, still shooting basics, but a different venue to help get the focus back. and grab a drink and a snack. :D

I definitely lose focus at practices... sometimes I just lose concentration and stop looking for a good sight picture, sometimes I find myself yanking shots... then it's definitely quiting time. A couple nights ago a friend and I were practicing. We were running El Pres. On one string I forgot to do the reload and just stopped. I knew it was time to quit. It's a safety thing too.

At matches since they can run so long between shooting it's a different kind of focus that I don't know how you can train for. All I can say is when I'm on deck I really try to block out everthing I can and visualize the stage- then just let it happen focusing on what it takes to make good hits and running the stage the way I visualized things. A good friend of mine was talking to me while I was getting ready in the box before my turn. He asked me what I was going to do... I quiety said I was going to shoot all the targets. He kept talking to me... I looked at him at that point and asked if he was trying to get into my head. He apologized and left. I know he wasn't trying to do anything at all to screw me up. Point is... mental prep is really important to me. You NEED to make sure to do this...even more important when you are tired.

Yes, I see maintaining focus as a drill in itself. Being mentally/physically tired is a good reason to stop a practice session. Being frustrated is not. Practice is preparation for a match. If you lack discipline in practice, a bad stage will crush you in a match. As for technique: notice that you are frustrated, figure out why, then choose not to be. Work through it. Don't give up.

I try to have a plan before I go to practice, that way I'm not just making noise. I have also cut the round count down. I don't need to shoot 24 round mini-stages during practice.

During a match, some fluids and a 5 minute sit down seems to bring my level of focus back. The later in the day, the more I need it, but hell, I'm old.

Whatever you do, don't keep practicing at sucking.

Stop if you need to.

Change gears.

Go back to raw basics.

Take a break.

Drink water. Eat.

Stretch out.

Do something good.

I can see it going a few ways. You correct the problem and reinforce a positive outcome. You continue with bad outcomes and ultimately come away frustrated and possibly with new bad habits. OR you stop and walk away with low mental confidence. Whatever you're doing wrong could continue during the next practice or match.

For example, I run a movement drill but my hits are all over the place. I stop, focus on fundamentals. Trigger squeeze. Sight picture. Slow fire. But I still catch myself yanking the trigger etc. At this point, would you stop? Or switch to micro-focus and try to get through this? Let's say you switch to practicing pure marksmanship. Forget time. Go as slow as possible and work on the squeeze. Watch the sight lift. Call it. Etc. Your shots tighten up. 1) Do you go back to the original drill and try to apply? Or step away having reached a positive outcome? 2) IF you go back to the original drill and are still struggling, do you continue or walk away?

I guess what I'm after here is, you have a firing cycle. Is there such a thing as a "mental cycle"? How important is walking away with a positive outcome vs. not practicing at sucking?

edit - to stop errant emoticons

Edited by Lee King

In practice I would shoot a group. then go back to the original drill with the thought of getting my hits, not concerning myself one bit with the time, maybe even without the timer.

if it happens in a match I usually know why I am doing it and will work a little more on getting my program 100% so when I am shooting I can be more concerned with my trigger pull (the usual reason my hits will start to suck) and let my subconscious run the stage (he is a beter shooter than I am anyway).

The other reason my hits will suck is when I let the thought of time/speed come into my mind. If I replace "speed/time" with "hits" usually everything improves.

Get a mental program, read Lanny Basshams book. I do agree with mixing it up a lot. 3 or 4 runs at something during practice and then change it up. What's the point of running the plate machine until you are in the 2 to mid 3 range, I think that kind of practice is fun but probably not as benificial as six plates that move somewhere else every 3 or 4 runs. Mental program would be my priority. I'm only a high "B", so apply the grains of salt. Once again learn a mental program, top priority. IMHO

Execute THE fundamentals.

I have found that anytime...in life...on most any task... If there is something that I do not quite understand or that I am not doing properly...that can be traced back to not executing or understanding some aspect that is more fundamental.

Now, I mentioned "more fundamental" and that should probably be distinguished from "THE fundamentals."

I like to use a step pyramid as an example. Our knowledge, skills and abilities make up the building blocks of the step pyramid structure. The foundation has to be strong to support the whole structure. Then, each time that we go up higher in the pyramid, that level is supported by the foundation and the levels below it.

The closer we are to the base of the structure, that is more fundamental. Toward the top of the pyramid, those bits of knowledge, skills and abilities become less fundamental.

Brian has done the work for us and given us THE Fundamentals for shooting. Over the years, I have found that those hold up quite well.

Execute THE fundamentals.

I have found that anytime...in life...on most any task... If there is something that I do not quite understand or that I am not doing properly...that can be traced back to not executing or understanding some aspect that is more fundamental.

Now, I mentioned "more fundamental" and that should probably be distinguished from "THE fundamentals."

I like to use a step pyramid as an example. Our knowledge, skills and abilities make up the building blocks of the step pyramid structure. The foundation has to be strong to support the whole structure. Then, each time that we go up higher in the pyramid, that level is supported by the foundation and the levels below it.

The closer we are to the base of the structure, that is more fundamental. Toward the top of the pyramid, those bits of knowledge, skills and abilities become less fundamental.

Brian has done the work for us and given us THE Fundamentals for shooting. Over the years, I have found that those hold up quite well.

All I can say is WOW WEE!

Referring back to your movement drill example. It sounds like you have made the drill too difficult. If, for example, you are target shooting, you would start at say, 7 yds and practice the fundamentals of shooting until you can shoot one ragged hole, then you would move the target out a little farther. At the slightly farther distance, you would naturally shoot a larger group, but with with practice, your group would tighten up and you would once again move the target out farther.

I suggest you make your drill easier until you can execute it perfectly. It could be moving more slowly, or shooting at a closer target on the move, or not moving at all. Keep making it simpler until you can execute it perfectly, then build up from there.

My interpretation of Flex's comment is that your desire has exceeded your ability. Thus the frustration. Back up a little and take a smaller step.

Go back to the fundamentals.

It works every time...

Yes. In practice or a match, there you have it.

Whatever you do, don't keep practicing at sucking.

Stop if you need to.

Change gears.

Go back to raw basics.

Take a break.

Drink water. Eat.

Stretch out.

Do something good.

I can see it going a few ways. You correct the problem and reinforce a positive outcome. You continue with bad outcomes and ultimately come away frustrated and possibly with new bad habits. OR you stop and walk away with low mental confidence. Whatever you're doing wrong could continue during the next practice or match.

For example, I run a movement drill but my hits are all over the place. I stop, focus on fundamentals. Trigger squeeze. Sight picture. Slow fire. But I still catch myself yanking the trigger etc. At this point, would you stop? Or switch to micro-focus and try to get through this? Let's say you switch to practicing pure marksmanship. Forget time. Go as slow as possible and work on the squeeze. Watch the sight lift. Call it. Etc. Your shots tighten up. 1) Do you go back to the original drill and try to apply? Or step away having reached a positive outcome? 2) IF you go back to the original drill and are still struggling, do you continue or walk away?

I guess what I'm after here is, you have a firing cycle. Is there such a thing as a "mental cycle"? How important is walking away with a positive outcome vs. not practicing at sucking?

Only care (a lot) about one thing at a time.

If you're working on movement, get your hits, but don't worry about them if they're not up to par.

If you're working on group shooting, care about anything you can find, one thing at time (where you look/what you feel), that can influence your groups.

With more practice and experience, what are now various components of your overall skill will begin to homogenize into the eventual goal of "just shooting."

be