Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HS6 - What is it good for?

Pezco

I am new to reloading and on the advice of someone knowledgable in the shooting industry purchased some HS6 powder for my USPSA shooting, 8 pounds to be exact. I now find the powder burns too slow for my 40 and 9 mm.

I was experiencing failure to chamber rounds after 140 - 150 shots during matches because of the deposits in the barrel preventing the bullets from chambering. I'm using WSP primers, what I have left!

What other handgun application could I use this powder for, all ideas are welcomed.

Edited by Pezco

HS6 is the same powder as the discontinued WW540 (HS7 is the same as the discontinued WW570). These powders are made by St. Marks powder and resold by Hodgdon.

HS6 is a pretty decent powder for 38 Super, but useless for 40S&W.

I disagree with the useless for 40S&W and 9mm.

7.5gr under a 180gr Frontier CMJ gives me a PF of 172 (40S&W). It shot very well from my STI Trojan and my G35 plus I didn't find it too dirty, so much so that I could shoot a couple of matches before cleaning.

For the 9mm 6.7gr under a 115gr Frontier CMJ gave a PF of 123 and 5.0gr under the 147gr Frontier CMJ gave a PF of 128. These loads were accurate but were dirtier.

I used up all of the powder and went with N320 for both and TG is my 40S&W backup powder, with Unique being for the 9mm.

One of the nice things about HS-6 is the fact that it is a very dense powder and that makes it very easy to get enough into the case. In my 38 Super the case is only about 1/2 full and is making about 175 PF.

Brian

I guess it can't hurt to try the HS6 in my SC gun if the powder will make major and fit in the case.

I tried using some Win 540 (exact same powder as HS-6) a few years ago when looking for a replacement to N350 in the .38 Super.

9.5 gr. gave me a 171 PF with a 115 gr. Zero JHP. My notes say it shot flat and felt good.

I ended up switching to a 124 gr. bullet and a different powder not long after that, though.

Burn rate seemed good. When I tried the slightly slower HS-7, I was getting a lot of unburned particles coming out of the comp.