Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Slam Charging" your M&P 9mm

Tokarev

Right...it's a feature. A BAD one.....

Why? I like that mine chambers a round for me every time I slam a mag in. It won't if I do it gently, but if I seat it like I mean it, it works consistently.

If it wasn't properly chambering a round, then it would be a problem, but if it's consistent and safe (not too easy), then why is it bad?

I think it's a bad idea to have a gun doing something that you don't make happen, and when I say that I mean by pressing a button, lever, slightly retracting the slide etc. If the slide closes by itself sometimes (when you seat it hard) but not others, sooner or later you're going to seat a mag, think you've done it hard enough for the slide to go forward and it won't....if that's at a match you're going to lose a bunch of time and if it's in a fight it could be far worse.

Lots of folks have said that their gun normally picks up a round that way, but every once in a while it won't....that's even worse than the scenario above. R,

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right...it's a feature. A BAD one.....

Why? I like that mine chambers a round for me every time I slam a mag in. It won't if I do it gently, but if I seat it like I mean it, it works consistently.

If it wasn't properly chambering a round, then it would be a problem, but if it's consistent and safe (not too easy), then why is it bad?

Because its not designed to work like that.

Shoot it long enough, get the mag springs a little weak, and bam. or rather, "click".

The first and only time it didnt pick up a round for me was at last years Pro-Am, and I blew that stage.

the slide stop spring can be tweaked, and the corner that engages the slide can be squared up again.

Good as new.

Hmmm... Interesting thread. I just picked up a new M&P Pro 9, thinking I'd try Production. Sure enough, a firm mag insertion drops the slide. Not so sure I like that.

BTW, how are you supposed to hold onto these plastic guns? After years of shooting nicely checkered 1911s (the gun God intended us to shoot), that plastic is awfully hard to keep still!

Hmmm... Interesting thread. I just picked up a new M&P Pro 9, thinking I'd try Production. Sure enough, a firm mag insertion drops the slide. Not so sure I like that.

BTW, how are you supposed to hold onto these plastic guns? After years of shooting nicely checkered 1911s (the gun God intended us to shoot), that plastic is awfully hard to keep still!

GRIP TAPE!!!! The Grip God intended us to put on plastic guns!

Edited by Filishooter

Seems to me no matter how the slide closes it ought to strip the top round off the mag. 1911's I get rid of the mag if it fails to chamber a round. does not slide lock any feed problem. My 2 M&P's though with 40 buck mags. no aftermarket mags available & Smith & Wesson's ironclad return policy. They would get the mag back for replacement if it fails in any way.

Boats

Get one of Mike's inserts....you won't have any more problems with the gun slipping. HUGE difference. Everybody that has an M&P that's held mine has liked it and most, I think, have ordered them. Not sure why they don't list the small insert, but they're normally available. R,

http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/cat...%2C+Comp%2FDuty

Get one of Mike's inserts....you won't have any more problems with the gun slipping. HUGE difference. Everybody that has an M&P that's held mine has liked it and most, I think, have ordered them. Not sure why they don't list the small insert, but they're normally available. R,

+1 on the grip and doing business with Speed Shooters.

Boats: As for mags try here

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/comme...p;category=SMWE

I haven't nor will I pay $40 a mag for the M&P, XD or 1911s that I have suddenly found myself owning.

+1 on the grip and doing business with Speed Shooters.

Boats: As for mags try here

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/comme...p;category=SMWE

I haven't nor will I pay $40 a mag for the M&P, XD or 1911s that I have suddenly found myself owning.

Botach Tactical had the M&P mags for $19.95 last I checked....got 8 of them at that price. R,

I shot a friends M&P 9 today at our IDPA match. First reload from slidelock the slide dropped by itself at the insertion of the mag. Did Not pick up the round. Of course I had read this thread so when the gun went Click instead of bang I racked it - no joy...racked it again with no bang...

Gave up taking the shot at that point and called it quits. Looked at the mag and when the slide went forward it had rotated the top round to a straight down position effectively jambing the mag - and FUBAR'ing my stage,,match.

I would REALLY like to know how to prevent this from Ever happening again.... <_<

• 2 weeks later...
I shot a friends M&P 9 today at our IDPA match. First reload from slidelock the slide dropped by itself at the insertion of the mag. Did Not pick up the round. Of course I had read this thread so when the gun went Click instead of bang I racked it - no joy...racked it again with no bang...

Gave up taking the shot at that point and called it quits. Looked at the mag and when the slide went forward it had rotated the top round to a straight down position effectively jambing the mag - and FUBAR'ing my stage,,match.

I would REALLY like to know how to prevent this from Ever happening again.... <_<

I understand your frustration, but why give up? Didn't you have a reload on your person?

My fs M&P had the opposite problem. Even after shooting a few thousand rounds through it, I couldn't release the slide with the slide release (with a reasonable amount of force). To fix this, I stoned the surface of the slide where the slide catch hits. I imagine if you "rough up" the portion of the slide where the slide release catches then it will reduce "slam charges."

I have this same problem, although my pro nearly always "slam charges." but if it does not, I have to pull the slide back. Can you give more detail on how you fixed the sticky slide release?

That is something I've never understood (and never seen). How can the mag cause auto-forward and NOT feed a round? In order to jar the slide, it has to be fully seated, right? If it is fully seated, why isn't it feeding a round?

My solution is to not insert the magazine with the strength of silverback gorilla. Just insert it with enough pressure to overcome the mag-release.

I understand your frustration, but why give up? Didn't you have a reload on your person?

It was the last shot I needed and after 2 attempts the time to reload and take the shot would have already eaten the 2.5 seconds the miss penalized me and made me go further backwards... Sometimes giving up is the best thing to do...

Welcome to the Forums!

The gun was Benny's and he found that with longer OAL ammo the failure to pick the round up is gone. The ammo I was shooting may have somehow contributed to my particular problem.....

I am still waiting on someone to get an M&P Pro in stock myself.... There seems to be some kind of gun shortage nowadays... Go figure...?

That is something I've never understood (and never seen). How can the mag cause auto-forward and NOT feed a round? In order to jar the slide, it has to be fully seated, right? If it is fully seated, why isn't it feeding a round?

My solution is to not insert the magazine with the strength of silverback gorilla. Just insert it with enough pressure to overcome the mag-release.

I've found that my Pro will usually fail to feed with JHP or 147 cast flat point bullets. The top round tends to nosedive during a slam charge and will smack into the bottom edge of the feed ramp. The traditional long pointy 115 FMJ stuff seems to chamber okay if a round does get picked up.

I've been working with this gun on and off for the last couple of weeks and have kind of figured out what amount of force is needed to seat a mag and not induce a slam charge. Let's hope I can make it muscle memory for the upcoming match in Albuquerque.

Overall, I find my Pro to be an incredibly "shootable" pistol. It's quick on target and recovers nicely from recoil.

I've found that my Pro will usually fail to feed with JHP or 147 cast flat point bullets. The top round tends to nosedive during a slam charge and will smack into the bottom edge of the feed ramp. The traditional long pointy 115 FMJ stuff seems to chamber okay if a round does get picked up.

What is your OAL on the ones that fail to feed when slammed? I had similar failures (not just when slamming a mag in, even normal feeding) when I tried too long of an OAL on some flat point .40 loads.

What is your OAL on the ones that fail to feed when slammed? I had similar failures (not just when slamming a mag in, even normal feeding) when I tried too long of an OAL on some flat point .40 loads.

I'm loading to factory 1.12" or slightly under, depending on the bullet.

Because its not designed to work like that.

Shoot it long enough, get the mag springs a little weak, and bam. or rather, "click".

The first and only time it didnt pick up a round for me was at last years Pro-Am, and I blew that stage.

the slide stop spring can be tweaked, and the corner that engages the slide can be squared up again.

Good as new.

I can make any M&P stop doing this or I can make it do this consistently with fully loaded mags. If yours is not stripping off the top round and is closing on an empty chamber then the issue is slide retraction and tolerances (I have never tried to do this with only 10 hollow point rounds loaded in a mag). The slide is not retracted as far to the rear as it should be in slide lock. This is probably caused due to the slide release lever being worn. If you have rounds nose diving and catching on the foot of the ramp then you need to have the ramp polished and have it feed proofed.

If you like your M&P to do this and want it to be consistent then polish the seating point in the slide notch for the slide release and the seating point on the slide release itself. Just polish it with a LIGHT polishing compound and make sure you don't take any metal off or change the angle or you'll get the 'empty chamber' close. I recommend you take it to a good M&P Gunsmith to get it done.

If you do not like this then you can fix it by changing the angle on the slide release to a negative angle rather than a positive one. This has to be done to the 'SLIDE RELEASE' not the slide release notch in the slide. If you change the angle in the slide notch then the rail can tear off. Again, I recommend a good M&P Gunsmith.

It has been my experience that S&W will do nothing to deal with this one way or the other. As others have stated, the M&P is not the only semi-auto that will do this. My XD did it, my H&K USP compact will do this and I have several 1911's that will do it including my STI's.

(Edit: in blue)

Edited by Bigbadaboom