Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limcat Dragoncat (should be called DREAMCAT!)

ironb

I wasn't planning on using this pretty new Limcat gun I just got in the match tomorrow...however, after taking this little beast to the range today, I don't think I have a choice. Nor do I think I can ever shoot another gun for that matter. This Limcat is incredible. Perfect trigger, no muzzle flip at all - the red dot doesnt leave the scope when you shoot. WOW!!! My poor STI grandmaster...she'll be collecting dust.

Ah Ha!! So that was your dragon cat we just sent out. I was in the shop with Johnny when it got it all finished and then went and did the test fire.

The new turbo comp is pretty awesome isn't it?

Hopefully I'll see it at the match tomorrow Brad. I'll have my new Open blaster too, but I won't be playing with it tomorrow. I have to stick with teh Glock for one more USPSA match- since that is what I'll be shooting in Curacao.

Wow, does it shoot bullets or a death ray? :roflol: What weight bullet are you shooting and which powder?

yeah, it looks like something mattel makes or something out of star wars. it shoots plasma and self-guided bullets. every shot is a double alpha even with the c-more turned off (it's just there for show).

I've been shooting atlanta arms major 9mm. It's got practically no muzzle flip at all. Once I find the c-more dot, it never leaves. the thing is simply incredible. it makes a new shooter like me look somewhat decent. now only if i can find that c-more a little quicker and remember to do my mag changes. :)

(I got some PMs for more pictures, I'll take some more in a few and post them later)

Johnny makes EXCELLENT guns. I bought one myself. It should be in any day now.

Yeah, the way he built the comp into the slide is just yummy. Which gun did you purchase?

Dude, that gun is hawt. I saw Johnny's gun at the GBC, and that was insane (all shiny dura-coat red and black).

Can someone explain the physics of his comp? Compared to something like the Trubor T2 comp, this one looks like it has a ton of extraneous crap, but i really dont know. Can nyone with a clue explain all the ports/angled exhaust/chambers etc?

(maybe that question should be another thread)

eta: spelling

Edited by little_kahuna

I don't mean to question the magic, because LimCats run! I'm just curious about the physics of this.

post-11346-1241472745_thumb.jpg

Please refer to edited image for the following:

1. How does having ports (8) before the main exhaust/expansion chamber affect recoil control, and how does it affect your load? Do you have to load (too much) hotter to make it feel different? Are these ports necessary?

2. How does integrating the Comp into the barrel by cutting back a 5" slide like that affect the feel of the gun? Does it fee faster? Does it make it feel like a shorty? What is the advantage other than simply slapping the comp on the end of the barrel/slide?

3. These ports look like they are raised (outward) to increase the volume of the last chamber, does this more effectively vector gasses out, how does this affect recoil/recoil control and stability? Does it straighten the dot tracking?

4. What is the function of that (looks like 1/8") of barrel at the end of the comp? Does it contain the gasses for longer? What does that do?

Not to pick apart the gun, because i'm not a physicist or a mechanical/exhaust engineer or technician. I'm just curious. How do these things affect the shooting and handling of the gun?

Thanks. (please move if this isn't the right place for this?)

Edited by little_kahuna

Hey Nick,

1. there's actually only 6 V type ports on that particular gun, i reckon it works much like any hybrid type porting. Guns i have chronoed seem to need no more than a couple of tenths more than a non ported gun. Necessary is up to you, compare ported and non ported guns to see which feels better.

2.Basically what you end up with here is a lightenend slide and a bit more meat on the comp/barrel assembly while keeping the 5 " recoil system . You could easily shorten the gun ( comp) up to get the feel you want.

3.This is the coolest part of the whole thing, this is a version of the turbo comp Johnny built maybe 10 years ago. There is a opening right around or behind the 1st port that directs exhaust into a passage under the comp and out the 4 little side ports you see in the front. Serious amount of work in that sucka.

4. There's a number of comps that use that design, the thinking is that the nipple might capture more gasses as the bullet is passing through and allow the last port to work a little bit better.

Not much technical info , but it shoots flatter than my gun. :cheers:

Thanks James. #3 Seems like a ton of work lol. That is really sweet! I see, (i'm kind of a 5">shorty person) but maintaining the full-length recoil system is effectively accomplished by doing it that way. Pretty ingenius.

Thanks for clarifying.

Did you get the 9 major or 38S/C?

9 major. (much easier to find brass!)

One sweeeet looking gun. A work of art!

Have you visited a chrono yet with Atlanta Arms Ammo in that gun?

I don't mean to question the magic, because LimCats run! I'm just curious about the physics of this.

1. How does having ports (8) before the main exhaust/expansion chamber affect recoil control, and how does it affect your load? Do you have to load (too much) hotter to make it feel different? Are these ports necessary?

2. How does integrating the Comp into the barrel by cutting back a 5" slide like that affect the feel of the gun? Does it fee faster? Does it make it feel like a shorty? What is the advantage other than simply slapping the comp on the end of the barrel/slide?

3. These ports look like they are raised (outward) to increase the volume of the last chamber, does this more effectively vector gasses out, how does this affect recoil/recoil control and stability? Does it straighten the dot tracking?

4. What is the function of that (looks like 1/8") of barrel at the end of the comp? Does it contain the gasses for longer? What does that do?

Not to pick apart the gun, because i'm not a physicist or a mechanical/exhaust engineer or technician. I'm just curious. How do these things affect the shooting and handling of the gun?

Johnny does such great work - it's a piece of art! I've been shooting Johnny's guns both open and limted for almost 12 years now. I own one of his standard shorty open guns (see attached) and the same setup but with a full sized slide. I prefer the full sized version because it's flatter.

This is my take on your ports questions:

With all the (6) hybri-ports in the barrel, 6 side ports and the 4 main vertical ports in the comp, loads probably need to be pretty hot to make them functional to a certain extent but I assume the last few vertical ports and the 4 last side ports are not that effective and are more for show than for use. Plus, since this is a 9 major you're limited in the amount of powder you can drop to create enough gas pressure for all the ports.

As far as the comp being integrated into the slide, this is a shorty open and probably there's no advantage over a standard shorty. That extra material surrounding the guide rod in the front isn't enough weight to make a difference.

Johnny does such great work - it's a piece of art! I've been shooting Johnny's guns both open and limted for almost 12 years now. I own one of his standard shorty open guns (see attached) and the same setup but with a full sized slide. I prefer the full sized version because it's flatter.

This is my take on your ports questions:

With all the (6) hybri-ports in the barrel, 6 side ports and the 4 main vertical ports in the comp, loads probably need to be pretty hot to make them functional to a certain extent but I assume the last few vertical ports and the 4 last side ports are not that effective and are more for show than for use. Plus, since this is a 9 major you're limited in the amount of powder you can drop to create enough gas pressure for all the ports.

As far as the comp being integrated into the slide, this is a shorty open and probably there's no advantage over a standard shorty. That extra material surrounding the guide rod in the front isn't enough weight to make a difference.

post-3673-1241479555_thumb.jpg