Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load data for this monster in .357

20nickels

post-13593-1240969966_thumb.pngCame across this on Magma engineerings website;

http://www.magmaengineering.com/products-m...;category_id=12

230 grain .357

I know some of you pinshooters use 230 grainers, but this is the first full wadcutter I've seen that size. Just curious if anybody uses these and what does load data look like with pressure building very quickly I'm sure. :surprise: Lotsa bearing surface.

Edited by 20nickels

Looks a lot like the ole' Butte bullet......I think the staple load was in a 38 special case, 6.7gr of Bluedot on top of a federal small pistol primer with a healthy crimp. Then hang on....best Revo pin bullet ......only thing bad about it was the smoke during the 4th and 5th pin......lol :roflol:

Load them up to 195PF or higher and the Pins will reliably fly.....and that is from Ken Tapp, who did know a thing or two about shooting pins.....

DougC

That's actually the R&R version, not the Butte version. I think GAT Bullets still makes the Butte version.

We went all the way to 7.8 grains of Blue Dot with the Buttes, loaded in mixed .38 Spl. brass, in our N-frames (with them crimped roughly halfway down the bullet length). From an 8-3/8" barrel, that load will hit 1050 fps. I still have an ammo can full of those loads in the basement (a lifetime supply, considering I only shoot one pin match per year) and they rock bowling pins better than anything else I've ever shot from a handgun. Period.

But I would recommend working your way up slowly and watch carefully for pressure signs along the way.

The only other powder that I found to work with the "Lincoln Logs" was Unique, but I can't remember any loading data on that powder anymore, since we all pretty much settled on Blue Dot as the powder of choice for this bullet design.

I actually own a 4-cavity mold for the original Butte version of this bullet. But it's been a long time since I've cast any up......

Using Blue Dot in .38 Special cases,I started with 6.8grs and quit at 7.2grs.I used both the R&R and Penn versions,crimped at the lower crimp groove.I was getting an even 900 fps at 7.2 out of a 6" 586 with good looking primers and easy extraction.I tried a couple of different powders,but Blue Dot is what you want with these.-Mike

I loaded some of those about six month's ago 38 spl case 6.3 gr BLUE DOT 5" gun what it does to a bowling pin is great--when you tell some of the guys you are going to shoot pins with a 38 spl.they give you the LOOK :surprise: --talked to Carmoney --he had loaded them before they shoot good.I have about 300 left..good luck

I have a friend that casts these for me, when loaded in front of 6.8 grains of Blue Dot in a 38 special case they do a great job on bowling pins. This bullet have become a must have for our local pin shoot. A gamer such as myself uses them in an 8 shot 627 for a little extra insurance. The recoil is certainly manageable and I have heard of shooters using them in guns chambered for 38 special. I have never tested them for accuracy beyond 10 yards, at 10 yards they will group @ 1", certainly accurate enough for pins.

Some folks were also using either 4227 or 2400 with those bullets in .38 spl cases. As I recall, it was somewhere between 7.0-9.0 grains. With these, you really need to start low and work your way up. Do not try to shoot them in any K-frame. The bullets got really hard to find a few years ago when the only supplier closed up. I think a couple companies are making them again. Remember, hit the white part!

I have approximately 3000 of these bullets. They were cast using an H&G mold, I believe the # 292 and sized .358.

I got my Master Blaster at 2nd Chance shooting these in 91 in my L-Frames. The load was 7 gr of Blue Dot. They are reasonably accurate at 25 yards.

Edited by jmax

Penn Bullets also makes a heavy 215 or 230ish bullet . Their site states good results with AA powders. But I am not sure if it is AA#9 or AA#7 . Anybody have any idea what the exact load is that they are talking about? I believe it too is loaded in 38spl cases.

Penn Bullets also makes a heavy 215 or 230ish bullet . Their site states good results with AA powders. But I am not sure if it is AA#9 or AA#7 . Anybody have any idea what the exact load is that they are talking about? I believe it too is loaded in 38spl cases.

Just try and buy some from Penn Bullets. I ordered some last October. Still waiting.

• 3 weeks later...

Just try and buy some from Penn Bullets. I ordered some last October. Still waiting.

DITTO Ive been trying every few months for more than a year also, I think he has no interest in making this bullet. I wish he would take it off his site, very frustrating for me LOL.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

DITTO Ive been trying every few months for more than a year also, I think he has no interest in making this bullet. I wish he would take it off his site, very frustrating for me LOL.

Mike

Mike,

I have maybe 2500 of these that have been siting under my bench for quite some time. Let me know if you're interested in them. I'm not sure who made them because it's been so long. I'll take a look and post the details. Are you shooting pins in the Denver area?