Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classification system

boz1911

Jim, this sounds just like a conversation we recently had in PM doesn't it.

Like Boz, I don't have the foot speed, but I CAN stand and shoot. Gun handling and manipulation skills are there, but adding it to the longer field courses has been a new venture. I have recently taught myself that I CAN move as well, but my points suffered. In my most recent match, I tried an even balance of speed and accuracy and I was able to pull off the Division win against some tough local competition. I think I am starting to figure things out. My next conquest is going to be in transitions and splits. I have to call the shots, leave the target and get on to the next one.

Bobby, I wish I had your foot speed....... :unsure: Just my opinion and only mine, sometimes your course management hurts you a tad. One of the best I shoot with regarding course management is 45DV8.

I've read so many of these threads over the years. :)

Often, it's a case of I didn't do as good as I wanted, so something must be wrong. Well, I hold this classification...so the classification system must be the problem..

Yeeeeeeahhhhh. That's the ticket!

You're such a sweetheart... :sick:

Like Boz, I don't have the foot speed, but I CAN stand and shoot. Gun handling and manipulation skills are there, but adding it to the longer field courses has been a new venture. I have recently taught myself that I CAN move as well, but my points suffered. In my most recent match, I tried an even balance of speed and accuracy and I was able to pull off the Division win against some tough local competition. I think I am starting to figure things out. My next conquest is going to be in transitions and splits. I have to call the shots, leave the target and get on to the next one.

Bobby, I wish I had your foot speed....... :unsure: Just my opinion and only mine, sometimes your course management hurts you a tad. One of the best I shoot with regarding course management is 45DV8.

:blush:

Yeah Brian, I am working on that part. My Grandfather use to tell me the difference between Wisdom and Intelligence is one thing...

Experience. And that salty dog 45DV8 has it! Too bad I shot before him on Sunday and didn't get a chance to learn in advance.

Experience. And that salty dog 45DV8 has it! Too bad I shot before him on Sunday and didn't get a chance to learn in advance.

I shot after the "salty dog" and had my best match ever... thanks for the visual pointers.

I think the classifer system should be changed to best 6 out of your last 8, only 2 drop, no more scores that don't count because they are below you average... you shoot it, you own it. Drop of 2 for major problems like jams. Then the system can be fluid, you may reach master, but can you stay there?

The IPSC classification system is set up so you go up and down... I don't think they drop 'bad' ones either.

Anyway... on the foot speed thing. Long ago somebody was griping to me about it at a club match. I said "ok, come with me", as the squad had just finished up the stage.

The stage was a hoser stage-- downrange run with lots of left-right-left with targets at 3-5 yards behind barrels and so on.

We stepped into the start box, I beeped the timer and we strolled to the other end of the stage; just walking on the same path as you'd run it. Maybe a brisk walk, but not hustling. Once there I clicked the timer clip to stop it. We looked at the time. A better time than anybody shot the stage in.

Try it sometime.. time how long it takes to _walk_ from one end of a stage to the other.

Classifiers, (with rare exceptions) only measure stand and shoot capabilities. The system works fine if the shooter gains match experience as they move up, has "normal" mobility, and spreads the practice regime equally across the shooting and non-shooting tasks. If those elements get out of whack, the classification will also be out of whack. Obviously, one size can not fit all.

Flex:

I have shot matches where I did as well as I could and I was pleased with the results. Alas, on some stages I finished below what one would reasonably expect of shooters in my class. I don't blame the classification system for my performance, never have, never will. But I did come to the conclusion the classification system isn't a good fit for me in my current condition. Is my logic flawed...do I just need a kick in the nuts? :cheers:

Edited by Ron Ankeny

You need a kick in the nutz, if...

...you know (realize) what the classifiers measure, yet you expect that to be reflected with something near a 1.00 correlation in a Major match.

(which I know you don't so..no kicks :) )