Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What brake for new 3 gun upper?

cold

I've been using a B.C. brake from JP on my latest 3 gun upper but I thought I would check and see if there was anything else out there I should consider? I shoot tac optic class usually.

Also, who has B.C. brakes in stock, I cannot find them anyplace at the moment. Any Benos dealers have them?

Thanks in advance guys and gals!

I have had a lot of luck with the PWS DNTC and FSC556 Tactical Compensator...great sponsers of our sport and great customer service too.

I had one built for my barrel by Robert Johnson of RJs custom shop. Fast turn around and is like the Cooley comp but is a custom fit like a JP rifle but at a lesser price and faster service. He can be reached at : 360-606-8727 in Washougal WA.. Since he custom makes each one there is an option to have it fit and designed the way you want it.

Hope this helps,

RLTW,

Scott

The best comp I've found is the SJC Titan. Flat out works the best of any brake I've ever tried. And I have even made several of my own. I am still trying to design and make one that works better. I own a comp from all of the popular makers. Several work pretty damn good. Namely the Rolling Thunder. But the Titan still has the edge on my rifles. Just works too damn good. Its definitely the loudest freaking comp out there too. It works real good at keeping the RO away too.

Rifle set up has a lot to do with it too, a tremendous amount actually. I shot a Cooley comped gun the other day that was incredible, far better than anything else I have shot to date. The rifle itself has a low mass carrier but I am not sure which one, enidine buffer and custom springing with tuned adjustable gas block and those are only the mods I am aware of. It didn't move. .20 splits at 50 yards were less than 3" apart and I am not a hotshot rifle driver by any means. I am going to copy that set up to the T on my 'fancy' rifle since it is far better than anything else I have seen, it was night and day better than anything else I have shot. The owner of that rifle will help me set mine up, so the things I am not aware of or missed will be covered too. Another rifle there that was more or less stock with the same comp wasn't much better than my Miculek comped basically stock rifle and only marginally better than my F2 comp modestly modified rifle. BAM, the light turned on. Like anything else it is a system, not a part or parts that makes the difference. More than slightly embarrassing since I have been preaching how pistols need to be tuned as a system for a long time. Crow doesn't taste that bad with the right seasoning and outlook....

We shot 6 different configurations.

Magic parts don't exist, it is a system and the system can be set up to favor a number of different parts in the rifle. Find someone that has spent the thousands of dollars needed to know what is what and work small changes from there to suit you. The super nice rifle I shot belongs to a guy that has won the 3 gun nationals a couple times.....

If you don't know what you need a Miculek comp ROCKS, you can spend a LOT more for a little if any more performance. Dollar for dollar no other comp is even close from the testing I have done. At double the price the F2 comp is really nice too, better for sure but not by a huge margin and you can't find nicer people to deal with, plus it is the coolest looking comp on the market. My F2 is really nice and money well spent. The next comp I buy will be a Cooley and move the Miculek and F2 down the line to lesser used rifles.

As HSMITH said it is a system.

Mine is set up on a 18" White Oak Armament 1x7 twist (.223 Wylde chamber), with a stainless JP adjustable gas block which I pinned to the barrel. I have the JP LMOS carrier and I use a CAR weight buffer which is normally 3.0oz but I took one of the steel weights out of it and replaced it with a identically sized piece of delrin rod now the buffer is 1.8oz. I have the gas block only open about 1/2 way. I had it at one setting before lightening the buffer and then after lightening the buffer I couldn't feel the bolt lock back when empty so I gave in another 1/4 turn open.

3gunrifle-2.jpg

3gunrifle4.jpg

3gunrifle1-1.jpg

topton3gun305.jpg

topton3gun1472.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Barry at surefire has his comps sitting on the end of a few rifles that have won some big matches.

I've got one on my 20" and like it just fine. JP Low mass carrier, adjust gas & lightened buffer. They work together well. I'm sure that other comps work too but I liked the look of the Surefire on a SS barrel.

• 2 weeks later...