Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Many 140mm and 170mm should I get for 9mm Open?

Txkid

I am new to Open and thinking to get some 9mm mags for my Gun.

Wondering how many should I get in 140mm and 170mm and why? :huh:

From a novice stand point I was thinking “More ammo the better!!! :) ” so just get 3 or 4 170mm but I know others might think different so I am asking the experts (anyone other than my green @ss) opinions :bow:

Thomas

Don't know if it's really true or not but I think I reload faster with the shorter 140's. With dry fire and practice, there probably shouldn't be too much of a difference though.

I'd get 1 170 and 3 140's at a minimum.

I have 3 170's and 4 140's all tuned. I have 6 more 140 un-tuned tubes and 2 more 170 tubes on backorder.

That should last me a while.

While it is possible to reload to 170s most find that they can reload faster and with less crashes to the 140. I generally will only start a stage with a 170 but have been known to reload to one if it offered a benefit due to stage breakdown, and those situations are rare.

I say 2x 170's and 4x 140 is a good start.

As I learned this weekend. When you are playing in the mud, and have a field course with lots of points coming up rite after, it's nice to dump the back up 170 in the mud, then your go to 170. And it's good to have 2 back up 140's.

I only run 2 140's on my belt, and the starter big stick in my pocket. I don't like a lot of pouches if I can get away with it, I've seen some nasty things happen when those things get hooked to a chair or wall.

I have 2x170 + 2x140 that are tuned, and 2x124 that are not, and a bunch of tubes sitting in bags. I've never seen a stage yet that i needed to go beyond starting with the 170, and reloading twice - so I'm good with 1x170 + 2x140 for any particular stage. I figure to have the extra 170 in case I go last on one stage and first on the next stage (I'm not holding up the squad reloading the big stick). Seems to work for me so far, but as you can see the trend is more mags will be better for you!

~Mitch

When I started in open I went with 2 170's and 4 140's.... I now have the same 4 140's but I have added 3 more 170's.

You will use a big stick on a good number of stages where as you may not always get a reload to a 140 in, therefor you are sharing the workload on your mags a little better.

My reload times are pretty close with either mag but I feel much more confident with a 140 and I seem to have better reliability. That being said get comfortable reloading to a big stick because often there is a stage or two where there is some advantage to loading into a bigstick.

I say 2x 170's and 4x 140 is a good start.

As I learned this weekend. When you are playing in the mud, and have a field course with lots of points coming up rite after, it's nice to dump the back up 170 in the mud, then your go to 170. And it's good to have 2 back up 140's.

I only run 2 140's on my belt, and the starter big stick in my pocket. I don't like a lot of pouches if I can get away with it, I've seen some nasty things happen when those things get hooked to a chair or wall.

That's my setup. Reloads to a 140 are easier, and having an extra 170 is smart. I actually reloaded to my extra bigstick on the field of steel at Area 6, the first time I have ever done that. It wasn't difficult, just different.

Started with 1 170 and 4 140. Now have an extra 170.

Save yourself a lot of problems. Get on the list at Infinity for SVI tubes. I have never "tuned" the 140 and if your happy with 28 in the 170-you will not need the tubes tuned. Recommend Grams' internals.

Good luck.

Save yourself a lot of problems. Get on the list at Infinity for SVI tubes. I have never "tuned" the 140 and if your happy with 28 in the 170-you will not need the tubes tuned. Recommend Grams' internals.

Good luck.

Remind me of the list at Infinity. Where do I find this list? Sorry for slight drift.

Never mind. I found it.

Edited by edwin garcia

I have 4 170mm and 6 140mm. It nice to be able to load your mags before a local match and nothave to worry about cleaning or reloading them

I use a 170 for just about every stage. If the stage is over 20 rounds I carry a 2nd 170mm on the belt incase something happens to the 1st 170 at the beginning of the stage. If its a classifier, then I start with the 140 and reload to a 140

Starting off I would get 2 170 and 2 140, it will cover you for just about every situation

Guess I am the exception here. I run all 170s on most stages because I reload just as well to 170s as 140s. If the mags are tuned and you use rimless brass, reliability is equal as well. The one exception is that I try to run a 140 if I have to go prone.

I started shooting open a few months ago and have 2-170mm and 5-140mm. One of the 170s and 2 of the 140s are tuned but all run reliably. I reload faster with 140s but I guess that just means I need to practice more.

After going chest deep into a ditch at Space City, I figured the mud was the last thing you and your equipment would be concerned with. :rolleyes:

Bill

You can never have too many mags, but I have a mag case that holds 6 mags so I normally take 2-170's and 4- 140's. I usually take 2 short mags and 1 big stick to the line with me.

Like Fireant, I use mag cases that hold 6 mags. Both cases are outfitted with 4 tuned 140's, 1 tuned 170 and a Barney mag. Things get messy and I go to the truck and get the spare mag case and all is good. Also keeps me from leaving a stage without one of my mags.

Bill

170's are a lot more prone to falling out as you run through a stage unless you set them totally vertical and clamp down on them. Not good when your mags go one way and you the other. I did that in front of BE at Area 2 one year.. :surprise:

For years my main setup has been 1 old-faithful 170, 4 140's and 1 170 backup (I have several more spare tubes and parts acquired over the years). The 140s are good for general use and dropping in the dirt on classifiers and the like since they can absorb more abuse before causing trouble. Put toolless basepads on the main mags at a minimum. They've gotta be cleaned often. When I was starting out in Open and sometimes had jammed mags or shot lots of extra rounds, I ran 4 mag pouches. Now that I don't do that so much, I use 3.

FWIW, mags are also unlikely to get any cheaper anytime soon either...

Good luck.

Remind me of the list at Infinity. Where do I find this list? Sorry for slight drift.

Never mind. I found it.

Not a list per se. I just called the 800 number and ordered them. Someday they will come in. :)

Thanks y’all for your opinions.

Now I kind of understand the,

140mm is quicker to reload (generally speaking)

140mm is harder to fall from your Magazine Pouch

140mm is better when shooting Prone

140mm is harder to get caught on the chair and walls

170mm is good for short stages

(I guess there is more.)

so there is very good place for both 140 and 170 mags

BTW, I was told that 140mm are more reliable than 170mm, is this true and why?

Thomas

If your 170mm mags are not as completely reliable as your 140's you need to make sure, one way or another, that they are. Why anybody uses mags that are not totally reliable is beyond me. There are pages and pages of tuning tips in the Gear and Accessories section of this forum. They can be tuned to work with a minimum of effort and good innards are easily available anytime. You will have enough problems keeping your head screwed on straight when the beeper goes off so why not sidestep this issue beforehand. Yeah stuff does happen but the stuff should be minimized ahead of time.

CYa,

Pat

CYa,

Pat

If you are going to shoot plate racks a lot I would have 4 or 5 170mm. The extra weight helps a ton with the recoil and transitions don't really matter for plate racks.

For IPSC get 1 or maybe 2 170s and at least 3 140s.

For Steel Challenge get all 140s, at least 5.

BTW- you will be able to reload a ton faster with 140 mags.

Craig

If you are going to shoot plate racks a lot I would have 4 or 5 170mm. The extra weight helps a ton with the recoil and transitions don't really matter for plate racks.

Craig

My plan is to shoot mainly IPSC so I guess I will stick with 2 170s and 3 140s

Thanks

Thomas

Craig

My plan is to shoot mainly IPSC so I guess I will stick with 2 170s and 3 140s

Thanks

Thomas

It is always nice to have a really short mag for going prone. I keep that one in the case all the time since we almost never go prone around here.

Today at lunch time I just picked up 4 Mags (2 170&2 140 to start with) from SVI (10mins from my office!!! :surprise: )

They do look good but looks like it can use some polishing.

I know I will get more Mags in the Future so I think 4 will be good for now.

Thanks for the great suggestions. :cheers:

Thomas