Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Glock tool!

Bigpops

Wow. I ordered a GTUL and my mag cleaning days are much better! Finally someone has used their noggin!

No, I am not involved with this product ....just passing some good info. The best 20 bucks I have spent in awhile. (Lord knows I have purchased enough crap)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow a Glock 9mm/40 S&W Magazine tool that works!!! After years of slowing destroying my magazines by cleaning them during the break down. I found this tool that works and it works very well. I went and got the combo with the brush. The brush has a pin that is made of steel that works great to break the frame down too. Then even better the whole kit is made in the USA to boot. I used the brush on a couple of other magazines and it works well on those too.

The other thing that sold me was the video on the web site and another friend that just bought one down in VA.

Here is the link for the tool with an instructional video. I hope that he starts making them for 10mm and 45acp magazines.

http://www.mygtul.com/index.php

Edited by vetts1911

why not just use a pair of pliers or vise-grips with some cloth or rubber wrapped around the jaws? Seems to me this would squeeze the sides in the same at the GTUL and not cost you a dime (if, of course, you have pliers or a vise-grip around).

:rolleyes: Use the money to buy more ammo and cut off the little tabs located on the mag body that lock the base into the floor cover. I have done this with every glock mag I have used in competition for three years now and never had a single floor cover come off inadvertantly. After cutting the tabs off, all you have to do is push up the floor plate and slip the cover off like any other mag.

post-7549-1239990612_thumb.jpg

:rolleyes: Use the money to buy more ammo and cut off the little tabs located on the mag body that lock the base into the floor cover. I have done this with every glock mag I have used in competition for three years now and never had a single floor cover come off inadvertantly. After cutting the tabs off, all you have to do is push up the floor plate and slip the cover off like any other mag.

+1 I did the same thing cut them dirty little tabs off with a utility razor and you are golden.

+1 I did the same thing cut them dirty little tabs off with a utility razor and you are golden.

You guy's may be rioght about cutting the tabs.. But I elect to keep mine stock.. That is why Glock made them that way!

I also just ordered on of these kits..

Ron :closedeyes:

Wow a Glock 9mm/40 S&W Magazine tool that works!!! After years of slowing destroying my magazines by cleaning them during the break down. I found this tool that works and it works very well. I went and got the combo with the brush. The brush has a pin that is made of steel that works great to break the frame down too. Then even better the whole kit is made in the USA to boot. I used the brush on a couple of other magazines and it works well on those too.

The other thing that sold me was the video on the web site and another friend that just bought one down in VA.

Here is the link for the tool with an instructional video. I hope that he starts making them for 10mm and 45acp magazines.

http://www.mygtul.com/index.php

That looks a lot like the tool that I've been using for a long time. I bought it at the flea market. It's called a lint brush. Best $1 I've spent in a while. Edited by Ray_Z

I wonder if crushing your magazines is a wise decision. It looks to me that you could get the same results by placing your mags in a vise.

A vise would also have the added benefit of freeing up both of your hands to remove the basepad. ;)

I wonder if crushing your magazines is a wise decision. It looks to me that you could get the same results by placing your mags in a vise.

A vise would also have the added benefit of freeing up both of your hands to remove the basepad. ;)

I think the idea with this gadget is that you can remove the basepads while at the range so you can clean your mags between stages.

BTW what are they charging for shipping?

BTW what are they charging for shipping?

I was charged 4.90 for shipping and it came USPS Priority Mail.

I never thought of taking the tabs off with a razor blade. I may have done that before but now the mags are going up in cost and tough to get. I like this tool for the ease of the job and my magazines not having an oval hole and the tabs rounding off. I was thinking and the older style magazines were not so hard to pinch and disasemble. I think it is because they are making them more rigid now cause the new magazines don't swell and stick like the older ones.

I use a punch from my Lyman punch set that "fills" the hole in the base pad (i.e. thicker than the Glock armorer's tool.) With that and just the slightest pressure on the mag walls, my base pads slide right off with the tabs still intact. The bigger punch seems to make a lot of difference for some reason.

WTF ? I've got 50k-60k rounds thru my five G17 practice mags. Never had a jam and never cleaned one. Just shake off the sand and dirt and bark mulch and keep going.

Apparently, you've never shot a match with inches of mud in the berm or 20+mph winds tossing coarse sand around enough to jam the follower. I've had both at a match, and yes both stopped my mag from functioning. I've had as many as four so covered in mud so bad I couldn't even see the witness holes on the back.

Okay here is a good one on magazine life.

Yes I belive in cleaning them for function and reliability reasons.

1. I don't trust my magazine springs after a year.

2. The magazine release notch in the magazine tends to mushroom and wear out after I would guess 400 to 600 uses.

3. I have had from what I guess the notches being worn out bullets flying out from the top and bottom of the gun when the floor plate gave out.

Any other inputs would be great cause I think I have forgot more about shooting Glocks in competition since I started back in the Single Stack 9mm the last year.

Edited by vetts1911

I got one of the tools from Greg before he released them to the market. Greg Morando is a USPSA shooter from Huntsville Alabama. I've used the pliers and the punch method to force the basepad off. I hated the pliers. And prying off the pads with the punch elongates the hole in the pad requiring replacement in short order. The GTUL is small and compact and extremly easy and fast to use. I can lay all of my mags out and open them up in seconds without any additional wear on the basepads or mag bodies. And $20 is not a bad price. Its a nice product and it works well. The punch on the end of the handle also works as a great disassembly tool.

When it comes to competition.....I leave nothing to chance. I clean my mags often.....even though they are Glock mags. I want my equipment to work all the time and treat it as such. This tool just makes it a little easier.

A tool as simple and easy to use like this is long overdue.

Let me also add....its made right here in the USA

Edited by 00bullitt