Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What can I use a single stage press for?

I bought a mec762r, and it came with a bunch of other presses, a rcbs rc single stage press, an older pacific shotgun reloading press, a bunch of dies and other stuff. But my question is I have all dillon equipment and plan on keeping the mec, but what could I use a single stage press for, are there any creative ways to use this press besides the obvious?

Edited by PAPER KILLER

It's the handiest press you can own, pull bullets, De-cap fired brass, trim cases, lots of jobs, Make a mistake and screw up a case you can fix it on the single stage and not have to pull dies out of your main press. I have an extra lee light one bolted to a board, Goes right to the range to load while testing

Boats

I'm in the same boat. When I started loading I went straight to a progressive press now I inherited a perfectly good single stage press and have not yet found a use for it. If it would take my LNL bushings I could work up loads on it and tranfer it to the progressive, but it doesn't. It's not worth much. I'm thinking loaner press for new re-loader friends. :)

If you buy a new caliber and want to just load 100 at a time it's great. Cheaper than getting new dies and plate for your dillon and since you will be measuring each charge you will make some very accurate loads.

Great for short runs and for what others have said before me.

I have a Lee breech lock Challenger that I use for several things. U-die, bullet puller, manual decapper (for primers not seated correctly), and best of all, for manual loads when I want to tinker with powder weight or OAL without messing up the settings on the 550.

If you have a SDB, you can put your U die on it.

Which is what I do, occasionally switching out for the 40 S&W push through sizing die I use for Glocked brass.

(I may switch to a bullet puller if I break down and get a Case Pro).

I'm trying to get into reloading and would like a single stage press as my first. If you decide to part with it please let me know.

Someone has a used Lee Turret press for sale in classified. FWIW, a turret press is an ideal first press, backup press, general purpose press, etc.

If that doesn't work for you, send me a PM as I have an old Lee single stage that I replaced with a Lee Challenger a couple years back.

I love my 650 and wouldn't give it up for the world but I set my rc up with my dillon 1200 case trimmer. Then after deburring I go to the 650. Dillon is a great press but the rc has more leverage for resizing. So even if I'm not trimming I resize rifle brass in the rc.