Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single stack load

gunner40sw

I have been using a 230 grain jacketed round nose with 4.9 grains of VV N320. I am starting to wonder if I would be better off switching to N310. Would I have a softer shooting load? Or can I go down on the amount of the powder and sticking with the 320. I am at a high power factor right now right around 179

Edited by gunner40sw

Why the high pf, just out of curiosity? At first blush, it sounds to me like the simplest, fastest, cheapest way to make a great difference in your load's recoil impulse would be to stick with N320 and just drop your powder charge down to a 170ish pf. (I know, too easy, right?)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

how would using a lighter bullet (200 gr) be better than a heavier bullet (230 gr)? I use Tightgroup with my 230 LRN and load 4.2 for a slight over powerfactor of around 167-168. I would recommend loading to 4.3 just in case.

• 4 weeks later...
Hello: Try Clays with 4.2 grains. It shoots very soft and makes major in my Spartan. Thanks, Eric

Max with 230 grain bullet is 4 grains. I would back your load down some...there is no need for all that powder. Mine makes major at 3.6.

how would using a lighter bullet (200 gr) be better than a heavier bullet (230 gr)? I use Tightgroup with my 230 LRN and load 4.2 for a slight over powerfactor of around 167-168. I would recommend loading to 4.3 just in case.

Lighter bullet will recoil more for a given power factor.

F = mv^2

Hello: Try Clays with 4.2 grains. It shoots very soft and makes major in my Spartan. Thanks, Eric

Max with 230 grain bullet is 4 grains. I would back your load down some...there is no need for all that powder. Mine makes major at 3.6.

Takes 4.15 to make major in my gun, 4.3 to make 175. No pressure probs. Your barrel is MUCH faster than mine.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been using a 230 grain jacketed round nose with 4.9 grains of VV N320. I am starting to wonder if I would be better off switching to N310. Would I have a softer shooting load? Or can I go down on the amount of the powder and sticking with the 320. I am at a high power factor right now right around 179

4.6 of Solo 1000 under a 230 gr. HAP or Lead TC

Clean, accurate and somewhere around a 170 PF