Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

8.5.1 - Safety Engaged while Moving?

mgood

Except when the competitor is actually aiming or shooting at targets, all movement (see Appendix A3) must be accomplished with the fingers visibly outside the trigger guard and the safety should be engaged. The handgun must be pointed in a safe direction. Emphasis added.

A3 defines movement as taking more than one step in any direction, or changing body position (e.g. from standing to kneeling, from seated to standing etc.)

If I'm moving to a new location I'm supposed to have the safety on?

I shoot Single Stack. I've been told, here and elsewhere, that if I'm moving, I should be reloading. So if I engage T1-T3 from Box A and move to Box B to engage remaining targets, I should shoot T1-T3, engage the safety, GO, dump the mag, insert new mag, and not take the safety off until I'm aiming at another target?

I've never noticed anyone doing that. I've never been told to do that or heard any conversation on the subject.

The only time I engage the safety is during Load and Make Ready.

We where all newbies once, they way to get away with newbie questions is quote part of the rule book so someone can correct and explain it for you. ;)
Edited by mgood

Yes, just a suggestion, but I've seen and done this myself upon occasion. I once shot a HUGE stage. Point to point travel was measured in yards, not feet. I engaged the safety between each point. There was a lot of fault line, rocks, etc to run over while moving and no targets to engage.

I've seen others do it every time they move, but for the most part, people don't engage the safety unless there is a reason to other than simple movement from point to point.

Yes, just a suggestion, but I've seen and done this myself upon occasion. I once shot a HUGE stage. Point to point travel was measured in yards, not feet. I engaged the safety between each point. There was a lot of fault line, rocks, etc to run over while moving and no targets to engage.

That I can understand.

It's when moving two to five steps that I was worried about. I'm still working on mag changes on the move. Going a short distance, I can sprint there (and probably outrun just about everyone in my local club) but arrive with no mag in the gun, costing me time, or I can walk and change mags on the way, which seems to take about the same amount of time now, but will probably be the faster choice as my mag changes improve. I'm also a master of run-on sentences.

I have smaller than average hands and have to shift my grip to reach the mag release. I was trying to visualize flicking the thumb up to engage the safety, shift the grip, hit the mag release, change back to my shooting grip, insert new magazine, and flick the safety off all while moving to a new position. Seemed like too much to process at once.

You highlighted the master word should. And the best way to accomplish the finger visiably outside the trigger guard is with dry fire practice putting the finger on the slide. In a training class a well known shooter he said he wants his mag change made by the second step when changing positions. Of course he was making .75 draws from a belt holster as well as first step reloads.

• 3 weeks later...

8.5.1 Except when the competitor is actually aiming or shooting at targets,

all movement (see Appendix A3) must be accomplished with the fingers

visibly outside the trigger guard and the safety should be engaged.

The handgun must be pointed in a safe direction.

Movement . . . . . . . . . . . .Taking more than one step in any direction, or changing

body position (e.g. from standing to kneeling,

from seated to standing etc.)

How many folks shooting Limited with a 2011 actually apply the safety when moving from 1 target array to another where more than 3 steps of movement are required (the rule books says 1 step). I have not been, I do remove my finger from the trigger guard, but I don't apply the thumb safety.

The use of must and should are always important in the USPSA rulebook. I never applied my thumb safety, just kept my finger out of the trigger guard and kept the muzzle in a safe direction. Nothing wrong with engaging it and I'm sure some badass shooters (and probably most club shooters) wouldn't even lose time if they chose to to it.

The use of must and should are always important in the USPSA rulebook. I never applied my thumb safety, just kept my finger out of the trigger guard and kept the muzzle in a safe direction. Nothing wrong with engaging it and I'm sure some badass shooters (and probably most club shooters) wouldn't even lose time if they chose to to it.

+1 The word should is what counts here.

On a long run, 5-6 strides or more or if going prone I'll snap it on. Just seems to me that should I trip, slide while trying to stop or something like that the thing won't go off.

I don't intentionally do it, but occasionally I'll notice myself popping the safety on for a long run anyway. Doesn't seem to hurt anything.

I found the same thing myself... long run in Fl I snapped it on without even thinking about it. I remember thinking... that was strange, never done that before.

I am not exactly graceful so I put the safety on if it's more than a couple of steps, especially if the terrain is not even. I don't think it takes much redirection of focus (thus time and efficiency suffering) to manipulate the safety. If I start to trip or stumble the safety just automatically gets engaged.

I am not exactly graceful so I put the safety on if it's more than a couple of steps, especially if the terrain is not even. I don't think it takes much redirection of focus (thus time and efficiency suffering) to manipulate the safety. If I start to trip or stumble the safety just automatically gets engaged.

I agree Ron... I think it's something I need to work into my shooting.