Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uspsa Nationals 2004

I don't believe that there will be 'good info' until the BOD votes on it, and I was told that that will be in November. There are a lot of rumors floating around though about FL, at Frank Garcia's place in October. Still rumors however until it is voted on and a contract put in place.

Phil, I would love to help on this one, but I am really just speculating. I 'heard' that one big pistol nationals (choose your Division and shoot) was being considered, but it wouldn't surprise me to see any of the formats show up. I think it is just too soon to tell. Maybe one of the AD's that hang around out here can comment with real info....

I seem to recall an article in Front Sight a while back that had USPSA signing a 5yr contract to have a Nationals at Barry?

That's correct. PASA will get a minimum of one Nationals next year for sure. I suppose it could be another FGN (with the Race Gun stuff potentially in FL), OR I suppose it could be the 3 Gun (with all the pistol stuff potentially in FL). Like I said, this is primarily speculation, so unless someone chimes in from the BOD, I am just going to wait and see what comes out....

Isn't the PASA contract for a pistol national championship?

Doesn't only the President decide when and where the nationals will be? I don't think it's a Board decision.

I heard about Garcia's range too, but that he'd have to create additional bays.

I don't know the specifics about the PASA contract but from talking with Ray Hirst, my impression was that it was for 'a Nationals'. In other words, I didn't get the impression that it was for a specific 'type' of Nationals.

As for only the President picking the date and location, I guess we would need to take a look at the bylaws. Someone (and I think it was Frank) told me that FL was not yet 100% official, because the BOD had final say and would vote in Nov.

Frank told me that he has 15 bays, and would put in 3 more.....

Again, this is all rumor and speculation until Sedro makes an annoucement.

I think the USPSA should wait until all the area matches are scheduled and all the smaller clubs hosting section matches, state championships and such are booked to see how many they can force to reschedule like they do every year.

No... wait... that's a Bad Thing.

The five year contract for PASA Park at Barry, IL only called for "one" Nationals to be held at PASA. There was no restriction on what kind of Nationals it would be.

According to the USPSA bylaws, the President has sole authority over Nationals. All I have heard regarding a Nationals in Florida is rumor, nothing more. If there were to be a four year contract, I suspect the BOD would be asked to approve that contract. But, the location of Nationals is the responsibility of the President.

Arnie

I just got an email from one of our local ranges (Rayner's). They are trying to work on their shooting schedule for next year...and are wondering about the timing of the Nationals.

It sure would be helpful if the nationals were announced a year in advance (even if it takes re-wording the bylaws).

Flex, it's a persistant problem. The Nats are always the last match scheduled and it screws up everybody else. Supposedly the USPSA waits until the last minute to book a range to get a better price but it would make life a lot easier for the clubs that host smaller matches if they'd book two years so everybody else knows when to schedule theirs.

It sucks that a club can put a big effort into contributing to the sport then be faced with rescheduling or losing all the top shooters, ROs, and generally face reduced participation because the Nats is scheduled at the same time.

Supposedly the USPSA waits until the last minute to book a range to get a better price but it would make life a lot easier for the clubs that host smaller matches if they'd book two years so everybody else knows when to schedule theirs.

Of course, I want to know the dates just as much as anyone, but I don't think that USPSA intentionally waits to get them scheduled. From what I've heard, a lot of the delay is just trying to get clubs to come forward and offer to host a Nationals. It is a big committment, and there don't seem to be that many clubs that have the range, the people and the committment to come forward. I would love it if right now there were several clubs all jockeying for the 2005 Nationals. That would be sweet......

"...and there don't seem to be that many clubs that have the range, the people and the committment to come forward..."

That is true, to a point...but a much bigger problem is talking the local community into a $10,000 to $15,000 (minimum) bribe to USPSA in order to sweeten the pot. There are quite a few ranges would could host the Nationals...I can think of three in my section, including my own club, offhand...but as per my discussion with Mike V. after the Racegun Trophy presentation, he needed at least $10k in cash (to be used for hotels) up front from the community as part of the package deal.

A little bakeesh goes a long way, I expect...although I can see where he is going. Having a convenient airport, inexpensive hotels, cheap gas, and decent concealed carry/gun laws are not enough...as witnessed by the 2002 and 2003 Racegun nationals which had none of those things.

Alex

That is true, to a point...but a much bigger problem is talking the local community into a $10,000 to $15,000 (minimum) bribe to USPSA in order to sweeten the pot.

Alex, very valid point. Good catch, and this is certainly part of the reason that PASA gets so many Nats. I guess I just had not thought through this completely. ;)

Just one of those things. My club has been working up a package for the Nationals (we've been kicking the idea around for a few years, but were serious about the '05 Big Show). My research indicated that PASA had a real sweetheart bakeesh deal going (which is why they are good for at least the next three years), but that the real gun Nationals was still up in the air.

However, Mike set us straight. There had to be cash on the table before a range would be considered. Ah, well. The west Texas oil field good old boys who run things around here are tight, and although I'm willing to ask I rather doubt they will be into bribery...even for firearm-related fun.

Personally, I'm quite pleased with the rumors of Florida for the real gun Nationals. The south part of The Other Left Coast is vastly...and I mean VASTLY...superior to the Left Coast.

Alex

Ah...an off-topic question.

A quick off-topic response: Limited-10 (as it is now) is a brainless sop to the evil gun-grabbers and their sheeple, designed simply to give those evil gun-grabbers some ammunition ("why, those USPSA types don't NEED magazines over 10 rounds...so quityerbitchin about the '94 ban and LIKE it...). Revolver got ruined by the 6-round rule, and Production...well...the rules smell too much like the arbitrary and oft-silly ones proprogated by our IDPA friends. Beretta "trigger bumps," Glock "plugs," and the like...just silly rules designed to stifle innovation.

Innovation and bleeding-edge design are the hallmarks of Open, and to a lesser (but not much lesser) extent Limited. Hence, "real gun" and "fake gun" Nationals ;)

"Factory Gun" Nationals are all about artificially limiting the gear and (in the case of Lim-10 in its entirety, and Production in its mag limits) feeding ammuntion to the gun-grabbers. Ten-round mag limits support Fienstein, Kennedy, Clinton, Schumer, and their evil ilk against the honest gun owners.

Don't give an inch.

Even more off-topic: I would love to see Lim-10 become "production" style holsters...and I'd run my CDP gear in it :ph34r:

Alex

While Garcia's range is great and I like to shoot there, It isn't really the easiest place to go. It's a good 90 minutes from Tampa or Orlando Airport and the hotel situation may be problematic. My memory is that the close hotels are relatively small. Additionally, this part of Florida is "retirement central" so forget getting into a restaurant/bar until very late and only then after fighting a lot of sloooww traffic. I suspect the RO's will find a good local bar and maybe everyone else will follow.

On the other hand, the facility itself is top notch with plenty of parking and no hills to climb. The alignment of the pits is interesting - you haven't lived till you shoot in the AM directly into the sun through a Florida morning mist.

I'd love to have one of them at my range, CASA in Little Rock. Heck, we can swing IDPA Nats, why not USPSA?

Matt,

It would be cool for my parents to see what gets me so excited. Neither one shoots for fun. That would be cool.

Liota