Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI aluminum grip

bulm540

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you could easily get a Caspian big stick that would hold 30 and be reliable, I'd have thought long and hard about having a Caspian Open gun built.

Jim Anglin.

I knew he was making big sticks, but didn't think they were up to 30 yet....interesting. R,

Just relooking at the grip. I would think dimension wise it should be nearly identical to the plastic one, since the magwells interchange. Since I like and use the Warren grip paper, this looks like the ideal surface to adhere to. There also appears to be enough meat on the trigger gaurd to be able to undercut it without breaking. I do see one of these in my future.

Just relooking at the grip. I would think dimension wise it should be nearly identical to the plastic one, since the magwells interchange.

Its a little bigger (esp. after adding grip tape), but more rounded in feel.

Since I like and use the Warren grip paper, this looks like the ideal surface to adhere to. There also appears to be enough meat on the trigger gaurd to be able to undercut it without breaking. I do see one of these in my future.

The TG is already undercut on the one I handled ;) You could probably undercut it more, if you need to. Well, I should say, the first undercut is done. If you want it cut for your left hand, yeah... plenty of meat.

I hope this doesn't sound like STI bashing but for me I would much rather buy the SVI part even for 20% more. I have always been impressed with SVI quality while STI while generally good can be hit or miss. Also would much rather but from the inovator rather than one who copies it.

If you could easily get a Caspian big stick that would hold 30 and be reliable, I'd have thought long and hard about having a Caspian Open gun built.

Jim Anglin.

I knew he was making big sticks, but didn't think they were up to 30 yet....interesting. R,

I don't know about his. Can't say one way or the other.

I have mentioned on here that George Jones has a Capser that runs 30+1. I think he said it was a Fred Craig tube...non-welded?? (I think he said he got it from Bucky P.). He does roll-size his brass...as I recall.

I hope this doesn't sound like STI bashing but for me I would much rather buy the SVI part even for 20% more. I have always been impressed with SVI quality while STI while generally good can be hit or miss. Also would much rather but from the inovator rather than one who copies it.

+1000

Then you wouldn't be buying anything, as the innovator decided he didn't want to manufacture them. He transferred the rights to Strayer and Skinner. STI and SVI got the rights equally at the same time, STI was just busy building guns to fill orders and SVI had time on their hands and an urgency to be first.

And yes, it sounds like STI bashing, maybe just not with malicious intent, until the last sentence. Saying their quality is less than a comparable company and that they "copied" an idea or concept is just that, bashing. But hey, it is what it is and that is your opinion, everybody has one.

:cheers:

So help me understand how this is copying? It looks like what STI did was to decide to execute a part in aluminum (machined) that previously they offered as injection molded polymer.

Peter Adams

FY-39604

Besides why would you want to turn an sti into a caspian :)

Edited by caspian guy

As I see it we have two different products that are equally good. The only difference is a few dollars and design.

You pick your choice and decide whats best for you.

As for myself I will stick to the polymer grips as they fit my budget and I like to shoot. More money equals more shooting (for me that is).

A good and bad discussion is usually fruitless as opinions will wary with the person who gives the answer.

//Fredrik

I have tossed the idea of a metal grip on my open gun. I have had a couple Paras over the years and really like that solid grip feel. I will admit that my stippled plastic grip is to thin and can be distorted during mag changes. That being said I would like to try the svi because of the curviness of the backstrap. But like the existing magwell option from sti. Finally got ice magwells on all my guns. So what do you do, just cant win! BTW be the first guy to coat one with plastic and make it possible to stipple and paint and you got a winner in my eyes!

I stopped by STI today and while I was there had an opportunity to handle a gun with the aluminum grip and one with the polymer grip side by side. To me, it feels like the aluminum grip is not as wide as the polymer. After adding grip tape or texture that might not be the case.

I understand it is a paintable platform, but I just cant envision a stipple job that I like. The svi milled holes(?) are very close but not coarse enough looking. My Shanahan grip is nasty coarse, just the way I like it! If someone can show me a stipple job on metal that looks like that I want one.

I stopped by STI today and while I was there had an opportunity to handle a gun with the aluminum grip and one with the polymer grip side by side. To me, it feels like the aluminum grip is not as wide as the polymer. After adding grip tape or texture that might not be the case.

What type of guns did you compare... (5" or 6"? Short or long dust cover? Bull or bushing barrel?)

How did the weight and balance compare b/w the two?

Edited by Xfactor

i like the way it looks plus the fear of not cracking your grip with an overstuffed starter mag is a big help...but $400 might be a bit steep :closedeyes:

Edited by ogiebb

What type of guns did you compare... (5" or 6"? Short or long dust cover? Bull or bushing barrel?)

How did the weight and balance compare b/w the two?

I believe they were both 5" EDGEs with bull barrels. I couldn't tell any real difference in weight, but I wasn't concentrating on that. I have small hands and so the size/feel was what I looked at.

Since Caspian Mags are the same dimensions as Tanfoglio you could get 21 rather easily. Actually for less $$ then a standard S_I mag. Henning sells them for $95 each I believe and yes.. they do hold 21 reloadable. I've seen Tanfoglio mags converted for a Caspian, it's not real hard. Hell.. speaking of that you could just get a Tanfoglio which is a steel framed gun for Half the price of an S_I and get cheap 21 round mags...

There I go again... talking myself out of my STI... :o

Thread Drift On:

What do you have to do to convert Tanfoglio mags to Caspian? Who?

Thanks for your time.

Angryreb

Thread Drift Off!!

I did some work, for this guy, who had this gun, and an idea....

After I got done with it, the gun handled and balanced very well with the aluminum grip. It weighed 3oz different from the plastic grip, easily removable from somewhere else if total weight is a concern. The single undercut was a good place to start. I like only one undercut, nothing for the support hand. Otherwise my trigger finger hits the fingers from my weak hand.

I've yet to hear negative comments from anybody that personally shot his pistol and aluminum grip. I'm just glad that STI is producing these. There is a TON of time in these grips, I think the price is representative of that.

The STI is machined. The SVI is two cast pieces. Apples and Oranges. Both fruit, but different.