Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redding GRX Sizing Die

Graham Smith

I just got a Redding GRX Push Thru Resizing Die for .40 S&W. I works well but takes quite a bit of pressure.

The main difference is that unlike the EGW U die, the whole case pushes through the die, so all the force is on the upstroke and there is none on the downstroke. I think it's going to mean using more lube than I'm used to, but I'll have to experiment.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am getting the Redding

Then attend to this: I messed up when I first used it which was why it was so hard to use. But in my defense, it wasn't completely my mistake.

The instructions are rather sparse and there are no pictures. When I looked at the die, I could see that one end was flat and narrow and the other was belled and got narrower as it went in. My first inclination was to put that wider end down in the press. But the die came with the lock nut about 3/8 inch from that wide end - which lead me to believe that it was supposed to be up. When I tried it out, it worked, but as I said it took a lot of force.

Last night I was looking at it and decided that if it was in the right way, I didn't want to use it. So, what did I have to lose by flipping it over. Well, darned if it didn't work much, much better.

So, let me repeat. The instructions don't say what the orientation should be. But if you look at this picture, you will see that the narrow end goes up, regardless of what end the lock nut is on.

I'm sending Redding an email.

Still waiting for this in .45... Is it undersize at all for better neck tension?

I can only answer for the .40, but once sized it fits snugly in my case gage. Instructions say the case still needs to go through a regular sizing die which fits with what I can see of how it works.

What is the function of the regular sizing die other then decapping?

I contacted them about other calibers.

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Redding Reloading Equipment. We don't have

any plans to offer the G-Rx die for different cartridges, but we'll

certainly consider it if there is enough interest.

Regards,

Redding Reloading Equipment

1089 Starr Road

Cortland, NY 13045

607-753-3331

FAX 607-756-8445

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 1:29 PM

To: techline@redding-reloading.com

Subject: G-Rx Push Thru Base Sizing Die

Hi,

I really like the concept of sizing the whole length of the case. As a

competitive action shooter I am always looking for ways to increase

reliability and bullet proof my reloading process. Right now the only

option is the case pro which is several hundred dollars and requires a

significant amount of extra space. I would love to see the G-Rx in 9MM

and .45.

Regards,

Edited by adweisbe

Where did you get yours?

Midway.

As to the issue of resizing. I'm not sure if there is any need to run a .40 S&W case through a normal size/deprime die (other than to deprime it) once it has been through the GRX die. But the instructions say to do it, so I passed it along.

I would love to see the G-Rx in 9MM and .45.

A G-RX in 9mm wouldn't work, as the 9X19 case is tapered and pushing it through a straight-walled die wouldn't do anything. The .45 should work though.

• 2 weeks later...
I rigged up a test for this die the other night and, while the setup is crude, it works. I can do about 25-30 a minute, which is faster than the U die is for me.

post-11671-1238679681_thumb.jpg

I like this setup. I was trying to figure out a way to avoid the bottle setup.

I just stumbled on the G-Rx die last night by accident. I went right to Midway's site and ordered one even though they're currently on Back Order. I'm hoping this thing saves me a ton of brass that normaly won't pass through the case gauge and for a whole lot less then a roll sizer.

FWIW, I switched to a Redding Competition die set last year and the sizing/de-capping die in that set was real useful in re-sizing bulged brass but I still ended up with about 2 to 3% of my brass not passing the case gauge.

I saw this also on Redding's site. THere's also another out there manufactured under the name of ".40 GIZMO". Not so sure of the quality there. Redding would be a better bet IMHO.

With that said...time to start looking for a single stage press! I don't have much issue with glocked brass because I run a Lone Wolf barrel that has a pretty tight chamber. But...others run Glock's at my club and this will help with the brass I collect.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81412

Gizmo is very much alive and well, it works awesome... I cancelled my order for the Redding after I got one of these. They also have a conversion kit for .45. Not as cheap as the Redding, but IMHO better it lots o ways... see that little delrin shelf, it has a liner that keeps the brass perfectly lined up in the die. The Redding you rely on the base of the brass to maintain side to side alignment. Pushing cases thru that are slightly deformed would be much easier with the Redding than the Gizmo...

Again, YMMV. I've done probably 2000 cases with the Gizmo and every single one passes my case guage prior to seeing the sizing die on my 550 (A "U" die for good measure.

The conversion kit for .45 includes a new delrin to match 45 case sizes and the new 45 FCD - that's all that on top of this is a Lee FCD in .40 with the guts removed.

Note, my one simple mod listed at the end of the link above.

Alan

After spending some time with the Redding die, I'm somewhat conflicted. It does a very good job on the brass and is fast. But....

Previously, I had been using a EGW U die on a single stage press to pre-process the brass. There were two reasons for doing it this way rather than using the U die as the first stage on my 550. First, I liked the fact that it gave me a chance to more or less inspect the brass as I processed it, I found more than a couple bad apples in the basket that way. Second, once processed through the U die, there was almost no effort left in running brass through the press and thus no problems with short stroking or jerking to bounce powder out of the case.

With the Redding die, I find that I can put the brass through much faster, but I stand to miss some of the problem brass this way. But more importantly for me, I find that I am now getting a lot of resistance at stage one as the brass is resized - and no, I don't know why this should be. I ran a couple hundred rounds through both different methods over the weekend and actually find myself preferring my original setup using the EGW die.

Looks like another thing to go into the pile of "stuff that needs a new home".

After spending some time with the Redding die, I'm somewhat conflicted. It does a very good job on the brass and is fast. But....

Previously, I had been using a EGW U die on a single stage press to pre-process the brass. There were two reasons for doing it this way rather than using the U die as the first stage on my 550. First, I liked the fact that it gave me a chance to more or less inspect the brass as I processed it, I found more than a couple bad apples in the basket that way. Second, once processed through the U die, there was almost no effort left in running brass through the press and thus no problems with short stroking or jerking to bounce powder out of the case.

With the Redding die, I find that I can put the brass through much faster, but I stand to miss some of the problem brass this way. But more importantly for me, I find that I am now getting a lot of resistance at stage one as the brass is resized - and no, I don't know why this should be. I ran a couple hundred rounds through both different methods over the weekend and actually find myself preferring my original setup using the EGW die.

Looks like another thing to go into the pile of "stuff that needs a new home".

Your routine with the U-Die seems very much like mine and like you, I find that they just slide through the Dillon when actually loading. I've been following your thread on the new Redding offering and based on your results, I think I may just "stay with what works". Since prepping this way I don't believe I've had a single round fail to gauge after loaded so this may be one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" deals.

With the Redding die, I find that I can put the brass through much faster, but I stand to miss some of the problem brass this way. But more importantly for me, I find that I am now getting a lot of resistance at stage one as the brass is resized - and no, I don't know why this should be.

I'm wondering if the resistance is being caused buy an elongation of the case through the Redding die?

• 3 weeks later...

As soon as Midway gets these back in, I'm going to grab one. I have an old CH single stage press that I currently have a Universal Decapping Die but it rarely gets used. I'm very interested in experimenting with this G-RX to see if it will cure the issues my Square Deal B has with Glocked brass not gauging.

If I'm not mistaken, in the other thread about G'd brass and the SDB, some people mentioned that even their "U" dies didn't correct the bulge issue.

As soon as Midway gets these back in, I'm going to grab one. I have an old CH single stage press that I currently have a Universal Decapping Die but it rarely gets used. I'm very interested in experimenting with this G-RX to see if it will cure the issues my Square Deal B has with Glocked brass not gauging.

If I'm not mistaken, in the other thread about G'd brass and the SDB, some people mentioned that even their "U" dies didn't correct the bulge issue.

I just purchased one through uniquetek.com In stock

Edited by copenhagen269

My trick for 40 brass (until I get the dies for my CasePro) is that my Dad did like 10k pieces of once fired brass (picked up at the local police range) and then double resizes them. One hit, rotate about 180 degrees, hit it again.

So far everything has worked flawless in my Dillon gauge and in my pistol.

Rich

Well I will not need one afterall.. I have discovered that once I started using my RCBS sizing die to size the "glocked" brass.. it sized it enough to fit in my tighter chambered Performance Center Tactical .40.. so I am not going to worry about it any more.

I tried that trick and nearly ruined a die when a case got stuck in it.

How on earth did that happen? :unsure:

I've put a whole bunch of brass through my .40 Lee FCD die, that is my YouTube video BTW. I've never had one stuck. I've run some NASTY bulged brass through it with never a single problem. Oh well . . . .

• 4 weeks later...
I just got a Redding GRX Push Thru Resizing Die for .40 S&W. I works well but takes quite a bit of pressure.

The main difference is that unlike the EGW U die, the whole case pushes through the die, so all the force is on the upstroke and there is none on the downstroke. I think it's going to mean using more lube than I'm used to, but I'll have to experiment.

I just got one from Midway and it works very well. I used One Shot case lube it didn't take a lot to push the cases thru the die. I did get the bottle and adapter ring too .

• 3 weeks later...