Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redding GRX Sizing Die

Graham Smith

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just went through about 150 rejects that I had, which all of the m now go through my case gauge. My plan is to reload normally and then case gauge everything just like normal, and anything that wont go gets sent through the redding.

I believe the reason they want you to push the case through from the base of the case and not from the other side. Is that pushing it through with the stem in the inside stretches the case, and thins the area that you don't want thinned, the webbing at the base! Where cases rupture.

Pushing it from the base of the case, keeps the stretching at the webbing at the base intact and basically keeps the length of the case the same. I suspect that over time pushing from the inside will continue to lengthen the case and it will change the headspace of the round...

All just guesses. I use a Gizmo and it was fully specified to push it thru from the base of the case *ONLY*

Alan

Could be the reason. I'll have to check the case lengths before and after to see if the push through is stretching the case. ...I'd think the die (at least the one I made) would push the case back in (reducing the OD) more than anything.

The push rod does not really touch the primer but I don't think I would be comfortable putting stress on a loaded round.

I would be concerned that it would effect the crimp more than anything and as a result potentially effect accuracy.

What I do is process all my brass in the tumbler, then every time I go pas the reloading room, I just throw 100 or 200 thru the Gizmo. I then pull from that box when it's time to reload.

So far, I'm way ahead on full length resizing compared to reloads.

Alan

• 2 months later...

How are people doing once you have G-Rx sized the brass? Do you use those cases for light target loads only? How many reloads have you gotten out of those cases?

I was thinking about using it on some Aquila brass I shot through my 4006TSW. Those rounds were loaded so hot from the factory that the heads are out of spec. and won't even fit into the shell holder correctly. They were able to go into the shell plate on my LNL, but they obviously would not gauge. Should I just chuck this brass out, or will the G-Rx return them safely to service?

• 2 years later...

I just got my GR-x kit from Bauer Arms yesterday. I was going to just run all of my brass, and then decided to run some of my loaded rejects. They went right thru the die and all 120 previously rejected rounds case gauged fine.

I am going to load my rounds, case gauge, and then run only the rejects thru the GR-X. Seems like it will be way faster then running every case.

Randy

Edited because I do not read instructions. The Redding instruction sheet tells you not to size loaded ammo.

I ASSumed the pusher was recessed at the primer contact area so that you could size loaded ammo without pushing on the primer. I am obviously wrong!

I think the lee bulge buster says it's ok topush live rounds?

Edited by 67ls7vert

• 3 years later...

Has anyone had any issues with the carbide rings cracking in there G-RX 40 push through die?

Once I get a case that pushes thru harder than normal then from there all the brass pushes through way to easy like No bulges.

Found that when I look through the die while holding it up to the light I can see a hair line crack in the carbide ring.

I have cracked 5 of there dies so far and they keep replacing them for me for free, but I waste time waiting around for the new one and have to pay shipping costs.

Switched to an AUTO DEBULGE 40 and love it!

• 4 years later...

I switched to the Rollsizer after resizing 1000 pieces of brass with the G-RX.  My elbow couldn't take anymore.  I am glad I made that decision everytime I sit down to reload.  It is worth considering.

9 hours ago, Dover said:

I switched to the Rollsizer after resizing 1000 pieces of brass with the G-RX.  My elbow couldn't take anymore.  I am glad I made that decision everytime I sit down to reload.  It is worth considering.

My roll sizer shows up today, I too was tired of push thru sizers. It definitely put considerable strain on my elbow.