Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where To Find Tumbling Media

diehli

So, I've been trying to find a place that carries tumbling media and I'm coming up short. One abrasives place can special order it for me in 100lb quantities (I'd like both corn cob and walnut shell). None of the feed stores have it.

Also, what grade of each-- if they have different grades-- am I looking for?

I've got this CV2001 sitting here DYING to be used. ;)

I tried PETsMART, but for the corn cob. I'll see if I can't sway where dinner is eaten tonight a little closer to the local PETsMART. Here I come bird section (I normally like my pets with fur... sometimes scales)!

THANKS!

All good suggestions. Thanks!

Flex, if my local pet store doesn't carry it I might just capitulate, too. I need a primer-shaker-thingy anyway. :) Plus, not having to find/buy something to store the media in is a good thing.

300lbgorilla-

I think Home Depot should have clean, new 5 gal. buckets with lids-

They should work well for storing media. I recall seeing them when I was looking around for some kind of container to store smaller quantities of Dunkit cleaner.

Yes, PETCO does in fact carry the walnut media in the reptile section--and it's not costly, either. Comes in a colorful plastic bag entitled "Desert Blend" 'lizard litter' (even my elderly mom thought that was funny). I got my corn-cob media at a local farm-and-home-supply place... you know, those places that sell fiendish-looking livestock restraints and salt licks and such. The corn-cob media wasn't costly either.

Thanks for the tip about corn-cob at Wal*Mart. I had no idea they carried it.

Heh... I was going to post exactly what I found SL: Desert Blend/Sand (the bag's downstairs, I'm too damned lazy) Lizard Litter. If you ask anyone there for "crushed walnut shell" they just stare at you and you can almost see in the back of their eyes them bludgeoning you with one of those gargantuan dog bones.

Anyhoo, I got a 25 pound bag for a little under $20, tax included (don't tell me if it's a good price or not :) ).

I just might try WalMart for the corn cob if I want the cases shinier, but everyone should know that they need to be looking for "Lizard Litter" at the pet stores if they want walnut media.

Stu, we actually have one of those holding sprinkler parts! :lol: Guess I'll make a trip to HD for a another of those and a lid. Thanks!

As far as rice goes, I'm not one to use food when something inedible will do. I like me starches-- carbs and protein keep me in this girlish (goulish?) figure. :wub: I'll keep it in mind, though, if I ever change my outlook on food. :blink:

Is the Lizard Liter small?

The last per bedding I tried (after everybody here said it was the shite)...it was too big. Got stuck in the 9mm cases. I ended up throwing iot and the cases out. :wacko:

I'd love to go with a cheaper source...especially if I can get it at Wally-World.

It's hard to believe a legitimate feed store doesn't have ground-up corn cob for sale (but I do not doubt Mr. Gorilla if he checked in his area . . . they must totally suck there!).

They typically call it "chicken scratch" and 50# bags are almost cheaper than dirt. You could probably make decent money repackaging it in 5# zip top bags and selling it at gunshows and matches.

Flex,

The “Lizard Litter” that I got from PETCO was indistinguishable from the RCBS “ground walnut polishing media” I bought at the gun shop with two exceptions: It was A LOT cheaper and it didn’t include the little baggie of abrasive material.

It works in exactly the same way.

Ed

Kyle: It looks pretty small. Not sure if it will get in the flash hole or not, though-- not that that's all that big of a concern as I won't be depriming my brass prior to tumbling. It really does look like relatively coarse grain sand (which is what they bill it as a replacement for because it will pass right through the reptile's system without harming them).

Joey: I wouldn't be surprised if I asked for chicken scratch and they said "oh yeah, no problem." Seems to me when you start quoting ingredients their brains go blank. No one had any idea about the walnut, but they pointed me towards the bedding when I followed Ed's suggestion and asked for lizard bedding. As for a money-making venture, it might work :D .

Eric: I tried several abrasives places (didn't look for sandblasting supplies, specifically, but one of the places did try to cell me some ceramic stuff) and one place said that they could special order both crushed walnut and ground corn cob in 100lb quantities... riiiiiight. :blink:

Kevin: I'll keep that in mind for the future. :)

Again, THANKS!

Don't forget, it's "Lizard Litter" at your local pet store. :lol:

I just this morning found 3-lb bags of very fine grit corn-cob media at a gun show. Since I don't deprime the casings before tumbling, I'm not too worried at this point about flash-hole issues. It might actually put a finer polish on casings (for special occasions and the like) than the regular sized corn-cob media. Just thought I'd give it a try. Some folks in Bend, Oregon sell the stuff.