Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Texas star

Mikej

Just wondering how you revolver folks shoot the Texas Star? I know you start at the top, but what sequence do you shoot after that? Thanks

Mike

PS I did do a search and found some good information, but would still like to hear folks opinions.

Edited by Mikej

Like you said, start with the top plate and then come down one side. I usually go to the right and just take the plates as they rotate up into view. Done right, the last plate is usually sitting still at the bottem for an easy shot.

Thats what I do but the stars we have at the clubs near me do not spin very fast. Most people around here shoot them starting at the top and then alternate the sides to try to keep them from spinning to much if you think of it as a cLock they shoot them 12,2,11,5,7

Edited again because I cant spell.....

Edited by Pigdawg

Sometimes the star does not set with a plate directly at 12 O'clock and has 2 plates at 11 and 1, In that case I shoot 11, 1, then it moves so you will continue in a clockwise circle as Bwanna's post suggests. Just my plan though, It disappears as soon as the buzzer goes off. :rolleyes: later rdd

most time at my matches I set it with a popper and bunjie cord so it starts to spin when you hit the popper--

let every one hit a moving target--or put a sn shoot in front of it-- :roflol:

... if you think of it as a cock...

Is that a rooster?!?? :roflol:

Cliff Walsh breaks for chickens. I didn't get the tie in, until now. :D

Damn Flex, I still don't get the tie in????

... if you think of it as a cock...

Is that a rooster?!?? :roflol:

Cliff Walsh breaks for chickens. I didn't get the tie in, until now. :D

Damn Flex, I still don't get the tie in????

I wondered if you ever got that. I can't think that you would.

At the MI match last year...you were driving if front of us (me and Flyin40) on some little back road on the way to the match. All of the sudden you slammed on the brakes...and then a chicken crossed the road.

I saw your bumper get bigger in through the windshield...I remember thinking that would be a good place for a goofy bumper sticker.

Texas Stars. Oh boy. Cliff saw me the first time I ever attempted one. I say attempted because I ran out of ammo before it was finished. :-) Not pretty.

NOW however I have shot them enough and practiced on one I don't care how the start or how they spin. I have practiced on them by starting them to spin when i reset the plates walk away until I am ready to shoot then start shooting them. I have purposefully shot plates off to get them off balance and spinning to practice cleaning up messes.

I am not affraid to take any plate at any time.

That said, I usually start on the top move to the right and pick a spot and hold there. I will sometimes start working my way down meeting the plates as they come up. Doing it this way More times than not 4 of the 5 plates on touching each other as the hit the ground.

I still dont see the purpose in them or the need for them in practical shooting. Just my never to be humble opinion.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate all the replies.

Ok I just saw where you live. Now you owe me for my post.

You have to go to Burris' Farm market and send me THE LARGEST peach milk shake they will make and send it to me.

:cheers:

SHHHHH! Don't tell folks about the good things we have on the way down to our great beach. We want to keep it all a secret. I will try to figure out a way to keep the shake frozen for the trip.

Mike,

Sorry, but I'll be at the hospital with a sick 3-year-old tomorrow instead of going to the match with you.

I attempt to shoot the star just like most everyone else has said. Shoot the top, then pick a spot on one side (for me, it's usually the right side for some reason). When it works, all of the plates will often be in a nice little pile. When it doesn't, you get extra practice doing reloads!

I'll have to try one of those shakes the next time I come across the bay. Heard of them before but never tried one.

Edited by chemepharmd

first time i ever seen one i happened to be the first shooter. several people said before i got ready to shoot "just make sure you start at the bottom". not knowing any better and thinking they were trying to help i did. used ever magazine i had and still left one plate.

as for how to shoot one with a revolver i'd say like any other gun. i start at the top then right then left then whatever looks good. i usually don't follow my plans after i get them worked out in my head anyway.

first time i ever seen one i happened to be the first shooter. several people said before i got ready to shoot "just make sure you start at the bottom". not knowing any better and thinking they were trying to help i did. used ever magazine i had and still left one plate.

LOL I am going to start doing that to new shooters. That's freaking halarious.

OK Now since we have 2 of ours that have actually seen this phenomenon, "WHY does the Chicken cross the road?"

As for the plates it can work top down either side or top down alternating sides. I usually do it the latter with a SemiAuto, but I've noticed with a Revolver I was using that 6th bullet.

Going down one side removes the extra motion needed to swing from side to side. You just have to be patient and be methodical about going "Down" for the next plate. I think this is the way I'll do them for a while.

Either way they're really just a mind trick. Unless some deviant puts it up so you HAVE to start at the bottom and then offsets it with weights so it can go "REALLY" fast. Then all bets are off and you can start calculating the time saved in leaving some up.