Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 caliber for steel

gunner40sw

Dont be cheap on your red-dots......I am not trying to insult anyone, but if you are spending less than 75 bucks for one don't be surprised when they crap on you at a match.

I use C-mores, and can also recommed the new Burris dots and Ultra Dots. You can find deals on tasco tubes on the Egay sights, but they are hit and miss.....You definitely get what you pay for on this.....

DougC

Doug, who makes the lowest, neatest mount to put a C-more on a 22/45? Thanks, Kirby

Kirby, I bought the Clark, it was ok....I think I got whatever was in the Brownells at the time, then I put it in the mill and lowered the top until I still had enough meat to put the Cmore screws into it. Any flat weaver type rail can be "flat-toped and then you can drill and tap the two holes for the CMore and that will be as low as you go....Hope that makes sense!

DougC

Kirby, I bought the Clark, it was ok....I think I got whatever was in the Brownells at the time, then I put it in the mill and lowered the top until I still had enough meat to put the Cmore screws into it. Any flat weaver type rail can be "flat-toped and then you can drill and tap the two holes for the CMore and that will be as low as you go....Hope that makes sense!

DougC

So to get it as low as possible, it looks like I'll need professional help. My wife said I need that already...Thanks, Kirby

I've got a Kimber rimfire target that I'm thinking about turning into a .22 SC gun. I think it will take a little mill work on the slide to make it more reliable. Especially if I put the Optima sight in the rear sight position. Not sure I want to go cutting on it though, it is such a good looking gun as is. Much more likely that I'll use my Sig Trailside. I can mount a dot on the barrel and not mess with the sights. And it locks into my STI Ghost holster like it was made for it, and is super accurate.

As to dots, I'm trying out the cheapo NcStar DDAB, looks a lot like the Burris, J-Point and such. No problems yet, but the dot, at 2min, is a little small. Better for precision work. I've got a Ultradot Matchdot on my Masters precision gun and it's never failed me, 2, 4, 6, 8 minute adjustable dot in a 30mm tube.

If you have to have an Optima........I would put it on a Tactical Solutions or a Marvel unit, which has the sight rail attached to the barrel itself and not on the reciprocating slide. You will have nothing but problems putting the Optima on a .22 unit slide. There is not much energy from the .22 round, and all of it is used to reliably ( :roflol: ) run the slide. I certainly could be wrong about this, and feel free to try it, but I personally after dicking around with .22 kits for the past 5 yrs would not do it myself!

Good luck,

DougC

If you have to have an Optima........I would put it on a Tactical Solutions or a Marvel unit, which has the sight rail attached to the barrel itself and not on the reciprocating slide. You will have nothing but problems putting the Optima on a .22 unit slide. There is not much energy from the .22 round, and all of it is used to reliably ( :roflol: ) run the slide. I certainly could be wrong about this, and feel free to try it, but I personally after dicking around with .22 kits for the past 5 yrs would not do it myself!

Good luck,

DougC

Doug,

Join the Buckmark club. :P Hopefully when you get your 22 back from TacSol, you will no longer need to dick around with it. I think I'm gonna shoot my 1911 conversion more this off season. Or maybe I'll get the TacSol Glock conversion. I need to stay with one type of trigger. (The hard lesson I learned 2 weeks ago). Or I can make an open gun based on the para LDA trigger. Not!

Seiichi

Dont be cheap on your red-dots......I am not trying to insult anyone, but if you are spending less than 75 bucks for one don't be surprised when they crap on you at a match.

I use C-mores, and can also recommed the new Burris dots and Ultra Dots. You can find deals on tasco tubes on the Egay sights, but they are hit and miss.....You definitely get what you pay for on this.....

DougC

Doug, who makes the lowest, neatest mount to put a C-more on a 22/45? Thanks, Kirby

Try this one:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26565/P...UN_C_MORE_MOUNT

....shh.....should be an announcement at SHOT......probably still a year out on production though.....that is what I heard..... :ph34r::D

DougC

It's in their 2009 catalog, but I haven't seen or heard anything about it. I guess I should clarify, it's listed as text in their 2009 catalog, but no pictures.

Seiichi

• 3 months later...
What many folks are going to are barrels made without iron sights, that have rails machined into them ready to take optics. Clark makes a nice barrel (several really) for the 41 and there's another, even better manufacturer that doesn't want massive publicity at this point. The unamed manufacturer is working with two famous sponsored shooters to come up with a SC specific barrel for the 41. If it all works out, that barrel will allow you to mount a C-more directly to the barrel with no adapter/rail etc.....it'll have the proper hole spacing built right in. I'm not sure when they'll release them to the public, but I know they're hard at work on it now. I'm trying to score one of the early barrels, but I have no idea if I'll be able to swing it at this point. PM me if you want the details on the company and where to watch to see when they get released. R,

I found this older post in a search and was curious if the manufacturer you mentioned had released the new barrel or who they were?

Adam

I found this older post in a search and was curious if the manufacturer you mentioned had released the new barrel or who they were?

Adam

Hey Adam,

Yep, they've released them, had a couple of production runs and sold every one they've made so far as best I can tell. I just looked and it doesn't appear he's got any in stock, but you could e-mail Ray and ask to be put on a list for notification or check for when he expects to have more. I'll put a link to the other thread I started on them....it's an awesome setup that I just love to shoot! On his website, go to the 5 1/2" C-More Slide Ride link to see more info.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=966476

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anybody have any experience with a recent S&W 22A?

I use a 22s as my backup gun to my open class Buckmark. It just has the stock 5.5" barrel which I've cut down the top rail to mount a comp on it. It is kind of heavy but it feeds everything and is easy to clean. It is a slightly older model. The main drawback to the 22a/s is the lack of aftermarket parts. If you want a barrel it will be an S&W. Only factory grips are available.

I'm a hair slower with it than the Browning, mostly due to weight I think.

What is a good gun and setup to shoot steel in the 22 cal division. Or if you have any good websites that have guns or info that would be great.

From what I've seen the main guns are about 45% Rugers, 30% Brownings and the rest are mostly a little of everything else. Probably the S&W 41 is the one that stands out from the rest. The first 2 are on top because they also have the most aftermarket parts available for them.

• 3 weeks later...

If you can find one either the Beretta T-87 or T-89 is fantastic. the 89 is the better of the two, especially with irons, the 87 has a built in rail and is marginally lighter. Trigger on the 89 is better, but either is a real good gn.

Not cheap. but worth it.

Jim

I love my 22/45 5.5". I haven't done any work to it yet. It's got at least 20,000 rounds through it and chows on the cheap stuff like it's going out of style. I highly recommend it.

There are better shooting .22s but most are finicky about ammo. Personally, I won't own a .22 unless it will eat bulk ammo so the Ruger works great for me.