Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry gun with Dot sight

Carlos

Doesn't that mean it has to be kept on all the time? How long do the batteries last? And how hard is it to hit anything if it fails on you?

I like the idea though.

It has a cover that puts it to sleep. You can set it so the cover pops off and is retained by a lanyard when you draw.

-ld

Doesn't that mean it has to be kept on all the time? How long do the batteries last? And how hard is it to hit anything if it fails on you?

I like the idea though.

It has a cover that puts it to sleep. You can set it so the cover pops off and is retained by a lanyard when you draw.

-ld

Very cool!! Now if I could only carry... ~Mumbles some unintelligible curses~

several of those "go to sleep" with a cover also go to sleep in the dark, or dont come on when the cover is removed in the dark, Also the slide mounts have not yet made it to the level of reliability to be used on a carry gun. Maybe some day. Hunting rifle scopes went through a look through mount phase and slowly but surely became more and more trusted till today most rifles dont even have sights. Defensive/offensive rifles and the games played with them are going throught the same steps with the hole Co witness BUIS thing. Eventually that will pass. I am sure the advantages of the reddot will eventually outweigh the reliability issues. That day just hasnt come yet for the smaller slide rides.

I've used a Doctor sight on my Kimber Pro Carry for 7-8 yeas. Haven't used the cover since I installed it. Kind of hard on batteries thought - I've had to replace the battery 3 or 4 times. I am very happy with it. The hole appears where the red dot is.

And how hard is it to hit anything if it fails on you?

I've been toying with the idea of building a carry gun with this type of sight (yes, some of us in California have CCW's)

Anyway, there is a notch in the back of the sight (as seen in this picture of the same gun) if you install a front sight of the proper height it will work as a back-up.

post-370-1237164899_thumb.jpg

And how hard is it to hit anything if it fails on you?

I've been toying with the idea of building a carry gun with this type of sight (yes, some of us in California have CCW's)

Anyway, there is a notch in the back of the sight (as seen in this picture of the same gun) if you install a front sight of the proper height it will work as a back-up.

I remember a match maybe two years ago. At the beep one of our very good Open shooters found that his battery had died and yes he did turn it on and look when he made ready. After realizing that the dot just wasn't going to be there he proceeded to burn down the stage. I think it's one of the best stages he ever shot. So, under pressure, with a familiar gun, sights or not, it can be done.

But I'm not quite sold on the dots for a carry unit, yet. When the eyes get worse I may change my mind.

Here is another M&P set up similar to above, which shows 2 advantages:

1) the dot is nearly "co-witnessed" (ie it lines up with the front sight height), and

2) their is a crude rear sight notch on this particular sight.

IMG_0780.jpg

Here is another pic:

IMG_0778.jpg

and the link:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&...f=4&t=73423

Just to play devil's advocate here, I think a Trijicon or other lumious front night sight in conjunction with the dot would work well here; even if the Dot failed, the front would still appear in a large "ghost ring" - even at night.

Couple discalimers: I don't sell sights; dot or otherwise, and I am not sponsored by anyone. And, these are not my guns nor do they belong to anyone I know; and I'm not planning to do this to my Production M&P. Moreover, I carry a .40 cal Steyr, not an M&P (though I also have a 340PD & Glock 19 I carry sometimes). I just thought that these were cool ideas that show how even guns suitable for our Open division can also be suitable for everyday carry - where allowed.

Are these the sort of "must have" weapons modifications like the M-4s & M16A2s with dots and rails that are so common in all the news media coverage of Iraq & Afganistan?

Maybe not just yet. But, I believe the technology get more and more suitable for everyday handgun use all the time.

Enjoy,

d

Are these the sort of "must have" weapons modifications like the M-4s & M16A2s with dots and rails that are so common in all the news media coverage of Iraq & Afganistan?

Maybe not just yet. But, I believe the technology get more and more suitable for everyday handgun use all the time.

Dude, been working equipment appropriation for our 'down range' guys since I got back from Iraq a couple of months ago. You have no idea how hard it is to convince the gun-ignorant that something new (or even current) is the way to go. It's been one of the most frustrating events in my career. The chances the military will go this way for sights on future handguns is probably good. BUT, the chances that either you or I WON'T see it in our lifetimes is also very good. I mean, come on. One MUST have a hammer on a pistol or it just ain't gonna cut it with the military boys on the hill... :rolleyes:

I like the idea though.

-ld

Very cool!! Now if I could only carry... ~Mumbles some unintelligible curses~

You could always move back home. :cheers:

No argument here. Sad to see it go that way though. What strikes me as particularly sad is that most people tend to view military officers, and particularly those in the pentagon as "gun experts" - and letting those people make decisions for our fighting folks in the field. In fact, the decision makers should be talking to people who have been on the ground, been in engagements, who have slogged weapons though every imaginable environment/deployment and ask THEM what works (and what does not work).

Unfortunatly, it seems like our top military leadership tends to attract a lot of really hard-headed folks.

Hang in there though! Hopefully you can make some progress (to the benefit of everyone in uniform - they deserve the best!).

d

Dude, been working equipment appropriation for our 'down range' guys since I got back from Iraq a couple of months ago. You have no idea how hard it is to convince the gun-ignorant that something new (or even current) is the way to go. It's been one of the most frustrating events in my career. The chances the military will go this way for sights on future handguns is probably good. BUT, the chances that either you or I WON'T see it in our lifetimes is also very good. I mean, come on. One MUST have a hammer on a pistol or it just ain't gonna cut it with the military boys on the hill... :rolleyes:

Edited by Carlos