Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is It Possible (a .40 Race Gun)?

Newguy

I've reached the point where I want/need to use open sights because of my eyes. My options are traditionally the .38 super or now the 9mm. I don't want the 9mm since I'm not into fiddling with hot loads and dancing on the edge of high pressure. I don't want the .38 super because of the expensive brass, new dies, etc.

What I'm thinking about is the .40 (which I have lots of brass and bullets for). I don't want to go the more expensive route and use hard to find light bullets--I'd like to stay with 180 gr.

Capacity doesn't concern me since I'm not good enough to sweat the loss of a few rounds in my hi cap mags.

My understanding is that the biggest problem with the .40 is getting enough pressure for the comp to work. Are there alternatives to the traditional comp such as the Schuemann Hybricomp? Is there a way around the pressure/comp problem?

Finally, how much of a disadvantage would I encounter if I didn't use a comp on the gun and used only ports or maybe just a straight barrel.

Newguy,

A .40 can make a fine open pistol. The hardest part is finding good quality and affordable projectiles. The ideal combination is something like 135gr jacketed bullets but they are pricey. Before I went to 180gr bullets I would stay with the garden variety 147gr lead bullets. To create more gas you would stick with slower powders like the replacement for WAP. The large powder charge will make enough gas and pressure to work a conventional comp just fine. Depending on the gun, I would load the bullets long to aid in feeding and leave more room for powder.

Leo (former 10mm Open gun shooter)

I ran a .40 open for a couple years. Not as big a disadvantage as most will lead you to believe. Lighter bullets are the key though. I was running the 140 Laser-cast from Oregon trail and Longshot powder. Comp was an EGW 8 port. The 170 STI for Para with SV comp followers and Dawson pads gave me 25 in the Big stick and could get 22 in the 140 with Dawson pads. The 9mm doesn't take anymore fiddling than the super. Powders that work might be fewer but when you find the right load who cares. 3n37 and 3n38 both work great with 124's. In a 1911 style gun you can load long and not have any pressure concerns. I've been running major 9 before the OAL restriction was lifted and no problems. Brass is dirt cheap, Bullets are less than the .40 180's. The Vit powder is a couple bucks a pound more than some but I would use even in a super. Most of the people talking smack about the 9 major haven't shoot it or tried it at the old PF with old powders.

Nwguy, I have a 40 open gun. Truth be told it ain't as good as a super, but it ain't bad. I use 3 barrel ports and a simple 3 port comp. I load w571 under a mg 155 loaded out to about 1.160 with wsrp. Makes maj easy as pie. Ditto what Chris said about mags. Build it, shoot it, have fun with it. Larry

Nwguy,

I have been shooting a .40 Open gun for about 12 Years. I have shot bullet weights from 180 down to 135 as the lighter bullets became available. Currently I am using 135gr Nosler JHP. and on an occasion the 135 Plated from Rainier. I have had various local shooters comment on how flat my gun shots and almost everybody actually thinks it is a 38 Super. I have been extremley satisfied with the caliber, my personal opinion is that it is all around better than the 38 super. So go with it if you want, and have fun. And by the way my modified Caspian Hi-cap mags only hold 17rnds of 40.

Alan

A couple of guys around here have full-on S_I race guns in .45ACP. I don't know how much the comp actually helps, but they look cool with that big hole in the end.

You might consider converting to 10mm (use the same mags, etc) to get more gas to work the comp.

I shot an open para in .40 for a while. It had a 7 port EGW comp with 2 ports in the barrel. I used 155 gr. JHP with N350 and 135 gr. Nosler JHP with HS-6. The 155's worked ok, but with the 135's the gun shot extremely well with very little dot movement.

If you are purely going into 40 Open gun because of brass cost I think you really are not saving money due to higher cost of jacketed bullets unless you are planning to shoot lead. Shooting lead bullets with a comp is a pain in the arse to clean up. I can't even think of shooting non-jacketed bullets again in my Limcat Turbo comp guns. If you really are consious about brass cost why not just shoot a 357 sig. You can get brass for 15 per K and no one at the range will pick up your brass unless for curiosity sake. I've toyed with the idea of necking down the 40 to 9mm, but the cost of making a round similar to 357 sig is not practical. You can probably neck down the 40 brass to 357 sig and set it up to where it will headspace on the shoulder (which the bottleneck sig round does anyway). You just need to specify to the gunsmith that you want minimal neck clearance so your brass doesn't crack at the 2nd loading. If I was shooting S+I or SV I'd probably jump on the 357 sig/necked down 9/40 trip. josh