Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro trouble with 147's

almostold

I have had my Pro since June but never really worked up loads until it was pointed out at the last match that the 147 JHP Zeros with 3.2 TG were tumbling - I have since switched to 125's but would like to stick with 147's because of reduced recoil. KKM won't have replacement bbls available until April +-. Any idea's out there?

I have had my Pro since June but never really worked up loads until it was pointed out at the last match that the 147 JHP Zeros with 3.2 TG were tumbling - I have since switched to 125's but would like to stick with 147's because of reduced recoil. KKM won't have replacement bbls available until April +-. Any idea's out there?

I don't have tumbling issues, but the 147s are not as accurate as the 124 jhp with TG, VV or American Select. I posted something here the other day from TGO's blog, he said the 147 were not shooting well on the XD either. I wonder why 147s don't shoot as good as the 124, or 125s...

I've been using 147gr Precision Delta's in my Pro. I've run around 3K of them through it over 3.8gr of Bullseye. No problems with stabilization.

Storm Lake should have a barrel out for the Pro if you're looking for a new one.

thanks for the heads up on the Storm Lake, I'll give them a call. Unitl I get a bbl, I will try to bump the loads up - I was thinking a higher velocity might help. I'll put them on paper tomorrow.

Bumping up the load kind of defeats the purpose of shooting a "gamer" load, doesn't it? :surprise:

thanks for the heads up on the Storm Lake, I'll give them a call. Unitl I get a bbl, I will try to bump the loads up - I was thinking a higher velocity might help. I'll put them on paper tomorrow.

Bumping up the load kind of defeats the purpose of shooting a "gamer" load, doesn't it? :surprise:

Point taken

Point taken

Not really if it's a mild increase. For example, going from that 147gr bullet at 875fps (128pf) to say 925fps (136pf) might be enough to stabilize the bullet and it's such a slight change in PF that most people probably couldn't tell in a blind test and it's not going to hurt your shooting any. R,

Someone was having the tumbling with the 4 in model and the 147's. we tried some 135 gr(w/Clays) loads and they worked fine. Actually the 135's feel better than the 147's to me.

what's that load for the 4"??

I have a Pro that I have been working up a load for with 147 Precision Delta's.

First Day 60 degrees-- 3.4 gr Universal Clays, average velocity 885 fps for 130.1 PF

Second day 47 degrees -- 3.4 gr UC, average vel 878 fps for 129 PF

All holes in target were nice and round, no tumbling.

So at least with my Pro and this combination it appears to be stable. And REALLY soft....

Probably the rate of twist that S&W is using won't stabalize the 147, but was wondering if it was just my gun/loads or have others experienced?

The rate of twist in the M&P barrels is the same as in S&W revolvers, and a 2" S&W .38 will stabilize a 200 grain bullet at 600 fps. Whatever the problem is, it's not the rate of twist. 147s work fine in my M&P9...and CZ-75Bs...and Beretta 92...and SIG P6.

Having said that, others have experienced it. It seems that Clays is usually the common denominator. I don't know why it happens, but it does.

Probably the rate of twist that S&W is using won't stabalize the 147, but was wondering if it was just my gun/loads or have others experienced?

The rate of twist in the M&P barrels is the same as in S&W revolvers, and a 2" S&W .38 will stabilize a 200 grain bullet at 600 fps. Whatever the problem is, it's not the rate of twist. 147s work fine in my M&P9...and CZ-75Bs...and Beretta 92...and SIG P6.

Having said that, others have experienced it. It seems that Clays is usually the common denominator. I don't know why it happens, but it does.

thanks Chuck (and all) - this is why i asked the question here; to get great feedback. So it is obvious that i need to do some load development with various brands of 147's/powder combos and will start with those suggested here. i just took what worked great in my CZ and assumed it would work in the MP - my bad. What grouped 1.5" with the CZ at 20yds, grouped 8" with the MP. I should have known better.

FYI: i called S&W - they had only one suggestion: that i call Zero. Zero told me that they have heard that 147's weren't working well in the MP and suggested 125's. i have since shot 125's and they are very accurate so i know its not a manufacturing issue with the bbl. Prob should just stop whining about it and shoot 125's... :wacko:

I am going to try 147s at 950fp, compare recoil vs accuracy and find out if it makes sense to keep shooting it or change to 125gr.

here is some interesting feedback from TGO's blog.

1) I have a curious thing going on with my ammo for production class. I prefer to shoot heavy bullets going slow with fast powders, but am now having trouble getting the accuracy out of this setup in 4 of my 5 XD9’s? I like the 147-grainers feel but they just are not shooting that well loaded down to 900 FPS. 115’s shoot great out of all the guns regardless of barrel manufacturer but are especially accurate out of the Bar-Sto in my oldest gun. Problem is I want to stay subsonic and I have to go too fast with the 115’s to make minor. The search continues …

Rob

I am now trying bullets in the 125 range to see what happens.

2) Well, I am still trying to get that magic sub sonic light recoiling load for minor. I am trying 125 and 115 grain bullets loaded close to the power factor. The issue is the speed of sound. The 147 grainers never get close, but the 115’s have to run right near to get the gun to work and make minor.

Speed of sound is 1130fps at 70 degrees F and I need a minimum velocity of 1087fps to make minor power factor. If you run that average up to about 50 fps over you are at the S.O.S. So it looks like the next test will be with 125 grainers which will only need 1050fps to make minor comfortably. I hope I can find a bullet that shoots as accurately as the 115’s when running the right speed.

Of course shooting here in AZ all summer where the temperature is 100 degrees plus, the S.O.S goes way up and I can shoot the 115’s without these issues.

Rob

I know that on two of my MP 9x19s the hood was cut too short and the accuracy suffered greatly. I got a replacement barrel that locks up tight and it shoots really well with 147s/VV310 now. I had the barrel in my 9L welded up and I havent taken the time to get it fitted and test properly yet. It should shoot the 147s pretty well......powder selection does make a difference as well depending on your bullet selection too....

Good luck,

DougC

Try a different powder.

Try a higher pf.

or

Stick with 125 or 135 gr bullets.

I would view a different barrel as last resort. The difference between shooting 125s and 147s at minor pf is minimal.

Why do you care if the ammo is breaking the sound barrier? Subsonic vs sonic is really irrelevant in USPSA shooting. The only reason I see to care about this if the ammo is going to pull double duty with another gun with a can on it.