Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

wild animals as pets

-JQ-

This is awful. I don't understand why people have wild animals for pets...owner tries to stab chimp to no avail (no CCW?). It bit off both of the victims hands before it could be shot. Everyone seems shocked - like when elephants go "wild" - guess what?! They ARE wild!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,494067,00.html

Have you ever noticed that those "little" chimps have HUGE teeth?

awful

awful

awful

Primates are both predictable and unpredictable--kinda like humans. Therefore potentially dangerous or even lethal. I leave monkeys well enough alone. And anything that even LOOKS like a monkey.

Hey, I'm not that bad.. :)

Chimps are known to regress to the wild state as they get older. Most of the trained chimps you see on TV , movies and stage acts are given to zoos when they reach a certain age because of this.

I think this is a good example of the problem. Chimps do not regress to a wild state. They are always in a wild state. Hence the difference between domesticated and wild animals.

They get old and they get grumpy. Sound familiar.

A friend of mine works at the local zoo and helps out with the primates. They are behind bigger bars than some of the worst murderers we have here for a reason. Pepper Spray does not work as well on them as it does on us if things go wrong. The older primates are segregated if they become too violent with the other primates and sometimes kept seperate for the rest of their lives. This is not always made public as someone will feel sorry for the poor darling.

Once they show dangerous aggresive behaviour they are fed by more than one person and from a distance. This will most often cause them to become more irritable as they require contact but they are too dangerous for that contact to be human. Euthanasia is often the best course of action for all concerned. Sad but true.

chimps are apes. People see the young ones all the time and make assumptions. Adult chimps are large strong animals, they are also predators.

What he said. In the wild they go on hunting expeditions. Yes that is right, they go HUNTING!

Animals are animals. Humans regularly misplace trust on them as though they're capable of reason. Then recoil in shock and horror when they act exactly as nature intended. What a disgusting story. Grotesque!

Jim

The PROBLEM

anthropomorphism

[an′thrəpōmôr′fizəm]

Etymology: Gk, anthropos, human, morphe, form

the assignment of human shapes and qualities to other animals.

We look at a cute little fuzzy animal and we see the cartoon creatures from Looney-Toons and Disney. We forget that they are wild animals and that given the chance, they will eat us. They do not hire a hitman to get their meat and they don't get iot off of the supermarket shelf, they go out and take a bite out of it as it attempts to either run away or bite back. One wins, one loses.

Also this sad case is a perfect example of why 911 is just government sponsored 'Dial-A-Prayer"

Jim

Wow, it ate her hands. My cats are so cute and fluffy, but if they weighed 200lbs, I'd be visiting them in the zoo.

Not me. Ever hear the story of the St james case in I think california. They were visiting their boy Moe at a preserve when they were attacked by several chimps that had escaped their enclosure. That man had more than his share of missing body parts and survived. :angry2:

As others have stated these are WILD animals brought into peoples home. They aint no curious George here but dangerous animals 4-5 times stronger than the average human. I am still trying to make sense of all this. :angry2:

Not me. Ever hear the story of the St james case in I think california. They were visiting their boy Moe at a preserve when they were attacked by several chimps that had escaped their enclosure. That man had more than his share of missing body parts and survived. :angry2:

Here is that story: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/03/04/...ain678061.shtml

Also this sad case is a perfect example of why 911 is just government sponsored 'Dial-A-Prayer"

Jim

I agree wholeheartedly Jim.

If you knew the cops were going to be 9-10 minutes away while "someone" (a primate in this case) attacked and almost killed someone on your property ..... would you keep / own a gun ? I would. Of course you never know, so my advice is be prepared.

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

People just have to smarten up and accept the fact that wild animals are just plain DANGEROUS for the most part, especially in the ordinary home setting. Now, if you're qualified to keep sanctuary animals on your rural property and have the right personnel, the proper infrastructure and know what the game is all about, then fine. But many people get into the "oh, what a cute little lizard..." mind-set and the next thing they know they have a full-grown alligator in their bathtub (or a chimp) that they can't handle and are frankly scared of. Then what...?... :unsure:

Some blame needs to be placed on the people who SELL/transfer these animals to the naive buyer/recipient, too. What the hell are they thinking...? (other than to make money, I imagine)......... The whole deal bugs me no end. :angry2: