Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nighttime Camera Shots

Matt Cheely

<_< very nice, I remember the old days when we had to bracket a string of exposure times counting off 10 to 30 seconds and set the camera on Bulb to leave the shutter open while you held a small black cloth on a wire to 'dodge' out the bright areas.

I purchase my first Canon F1 in Lancing Mi. 1980, with the fast lens it was over $1,000

The Balance you have in your photos is just amazing to me. Nice very nice

Edited by AlamoShooter

Great pics. :cheers: What kind of camera??

Nikon D40 with the "kit" 18-55 lens no less.

Thanks for the compliments. Cool part is all 3 pictures were taken within 35 yards of each other. It's the Law Quad at U of M. They have a huge law library on the other side of the square, but the giant lights they have on it now were just too bright.

Those are extremely well done Matt, any post editing or are they as they came off the camera?

Took them in RAW and did a little bit of work with photoshop. Mainly just to get the exposure right, hard to tell on the LCD screen when it's dark outside.

Very happy with the camera. Honestly, don't look at the megapixels, it only relates to how large you can print. My 6.1MP can print 9x13 photos at full resolution. The only reason to go to the bigger camera is for more features on the camera.

Hey Rocket. I just ordered a D80 for the wife. If you're in no rush then I'll update you on it when we get it and use it. Just FYI, I saw Yamil at a match and he said I got a great camera on the way.

Great pics Matt! Have you taken any classes on photography? It makes me feel MUCH better about ordering the Nikon.

Edited by jasmap

Hey Rocket. I just ordered a D80 for the wife. If you're in no rush then I'll update you on it when we get it and use it. Just FYI, I saw Yamil at a match and he said I got a great camera on the way.

Great pics Matt! Have you taken any classes on photography? It makes me feel MUCH better about ordering the Nikon.

Yamil is the one that talked me into Nikon. I haven't taken any classes, just read a few books. The Digital Photography books by Scott Kelby are VERY good. I highly recommend getting both of them. I've read 5 or 6 books and they are the easiest to understand and read. Book 1, Book 2.

Matt, nice photos, what were your camera settings?

ISO 200, lowest f stop with whatever zoom I was at. Exposures were around 1.5 - 2.2 seconds. Just shooting in Programmable auto. I really should have gone up to something like f13 to get more depth of field. Didn't think about it till after I was back looking at the pictures on the computer.

Those are extremely well done Matt, any post editing or are they as they came off the camera?

Took them in RAW and did a little bit of work with photoshop. Mainly just to get the exposure right, hard to tell on the LCD screen when it's dark outside.

The proper way to check you exposure is to look at the histogram. You can then adjust the brightness and contrast of your LCD to give you something close. The histo is the shizzzle.

Say, who is that sexy young thing in the last pic? :P Hi TW. :)

Did you hand hold for 1.5-2.2 secs? Or off of a tripod?

I just discovered www.kenrockwell.com a few weeks ago. TONS of useful info there.

Tripod with the 10s timer. Even with the tripod and pushing the button by hand made the pictures fuzzy. I need to get the wireless remote. Waiting 10s each time is a bummer.

I should have thought about the histogram. Always next time...

Edited by Matt Cheely