Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

to magwell, or not to magwell

Pittbug

I currently have 2 guns: XD45 and a para P14. I like the XD, but the para is a much more accurate and consistent gun for me. I've used them both to shoot CDP.

I just purchased a S&A full mag guide for the para but measured it last night and realized that it's too big for the IDPA box by 1/8"

So I have some options:

1) Shoot the XD in IDPA and Para in USPSA

2) Return the mag guide and get another that fits the box

3) Get the mag guide milled down to fit

4) Give up IDPA and shoot USPSA

5) Forget the XD and get another 1911 for IDPA

There are possibly more options... what would you do?

Edited by Pittbug

Weigh the Para before you plan on IDPA with it.....

I currently have 2 guns: XD45 and a para P14. I like the XD, but the para is a much more accurate and consistent gun for me.

I just purchased a S&A full mag guide for the para but measured it last night and realized that it's too big for the IDPA box by 1/8"

So I have some options:

1) Shoot the XD in IDPA and Para in USPSA

2) Return the mag guide and get another that fits the box

3) Get the mag guide milled down to fit

4) Give up IDPA and shoot USPSA

5) Forget the XD and get another 1911 for IDPA

There are possibly more options... what would you do?

More trigger time is more trigger time regardless of the rules. With that being said I think the para is going to be hard to make the 43 oz esp class weight. Personally if it was me and you LOVED the para, sell the XD 45 and get a XD-M and shoot Production/ESP, or a M&P and shoot Production/SSP. Then again you could do the right thing and sell the XD and get a 1911 and shoot SS and ESP/CDP :D

More trigger time is more trigger time regardless of the rules. With that being said I think the para is going to be hard to make the 43 oz esp class weight. Personally if it was me and you LOVED the para, sell the XD 45 and get a XD-M and shoot Production/ESP, or a M&P and shoot Production/SSP. Then again you could do the right thing and sell the XD and get a 1911 and shoot SS and ESP/CDP :D

Sorry I should have a little clearer in my OP, both my guns are 45acp so I shoot them in CDP.

If it's a little too heavy, then use it in ESP. Thats the one with the 43oz weight limit.

You do realise that you must cut off 0.125" from the bottom of the grip to actually fit the magwell to the Para... So theres your 1/8". Put it this way, my P16 with the SA magwell fits the box.

post-6917-1233965490_thumb.jpg

As the pic shows you have to cut the frame to install the S&A funnel, which will enable it to fit the box no problem. The problem will come trying to make weight. I went to a GI hollow guide rod, some titanium parts, some mods to the frame and just barely made the 43 oz ESP limit. IDPA rules basically force you to cheat. You either dont make weight or you do some prohibited lightening to make weight. No reason you couldnt shoot the P14 in ESP just download your ammo to the lwer ower factor and spring your gun accordingly.

PS another vote for 4

Hi Ken, yeah I know about the trimming, but the problem is the width, not the overall length of the grip. The width is supposed to be no more than 1 5/8", but the magwell is 1 3/4" wide.

I haven't weighed it yet, but that may be another problem I have to address. I think a this point I'm going to have to just shoot the XD in CDP and the para in L10.

Hi Ken, yeah I know about the trimming, but the problem is the width, not the overall length of the grip. The width is supposed to be no more than 1 5/8", but the magwell is 1 3/4" wide.

I haven't weighed it yet, but that may be another problem I have to address. I think a this point I'm going to have to just shoot the XD in CDP and the para in L10.

You just saved yourself a bunch of headache. now you can go balistic with modding the Para and not worry about weight. And you are hardly undergunned with the XD in CDP. :cheers:

I thought there were some folks around with those magwells trimmed to fit the box?

Trimming the magwell is not a problem and very easily done. Weight is the problem. IDPA has effectively outlawed Paras in CDP with the weight limitation being where it is. If you lighten the gun you are "cheating" and if you don't you must buy another or don't play. I always figured Mr. W set the weight limit to keep tungsten guide rods and the like out of "Gamer" guns. Might be he just did not want Paras to play or might be that it was just another one of those Unintended Consequences you hear about...

You have to trim the S&A in width to fit in the IDPA box. It’s not hard; I’ve done a couple with my belt sander. With my P16 limited with the cut S&A and a GI guide rod I just made the 43 oz weight, but it was real close.

Your P14 is a little disadvantage to you in USPSA because it gives up a few rounds to the P16 and 2011 type .40's. Another choice would be to sell the P14 and pick up a P16 or 2011 in .40 and sell the XD and pick up a SS in .45 for SS in USPSA and CDP in IDPA or a SS in .40 for SS and ESP. That means you would have to start loading .40 (you do reload, don't you?).

FWIW

Richard

PS: I agree about more trigger time!

Edited by chirpy