Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 moon clips

Mikej

I have a batch of moon clips I got from Ebay for my 625. They do not fit well. The cylinder will not close on some and when the cylinder closes on others is it very difficult to open. Can I do anything to these moon clips to make them work well or should I just chunk them? Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion, good ones are already on the way. I just wondered if the others should just be trashed.

You can check them on a flat surface, like a mirror, to see if they are bent. You may try to straighten them if bent, but a buck apiece.. This will let you know if it is the moonclips or something else. A lot of things will cause the cylinder not to close ie; Trash under the ejector ( see jmax i did not call it a star, I'm learning), ejector rod loose, high primers, etc the list may go on. Just to be sure I would check each item so as not to chunk out good clips. later rdd

That is the way U know when moon clips are ready to go into scrap bucket---they get bent or twisted -- try them before U go to a match make sure they all fit your gun==U wont be sorry... :rolleyes:

Hey Mike,

I got ahold of some bad moonclips off ebay a few years ago that did the exact same thing you described. They were clearly not dimensioned correctly, I thought it looked like they were all mis-stamped. You could usually jam them in the gun, but they sure didn't drop in smoothly like they're supposed to.

On the bright side, the guy took them back and gave me a refund with no questions asked.

Mike

One Word

CHINA

LOL

Moonclips made in China.. ??

I don't think there is enough of a market to for any Chinese factory to make moonclips. I could be wrong but that seems a stretch.

As to choices: There is crap, there is moderately OK stuff, then there are great moonclips by Hearthco.

Nothing compares to Hearthco.

One Word

CHINA

LOL

Moonclips made in China.. ??

I don't think there is enough of a market to for any Chinese factory to make moonclips. I could be wrong but that seems a stretch.

As to choices: There is crap, there is moderately OK stuff, then there are great moonclips by Hearthco.

Nothing compares to Hearthco.

Yeah they are called Choons :roflol: Ok I stretched that but I'm bored....

The Hearthco moonclips are invaluable for the 8-shot revolvers, but I don't use them in my 625s and 25-2s.

The Ranch Products moonclips work better for me in the .45 wheelguns.

How do the Ranch moonclips work in the 627 - 8??

If you meant 627-5 (.357/38), pretty good. Definitely best with Winchester brass, so you have to trim brass to length. REALLY loose (useless?) with Starline.

In a 625, Ranch clips are very good. Tightest fit with Winchester or Federal brass.

Edited by Tom E

The Hearthco moonclips are invaluable for the 8-shot revolvers, but I don't use them in my 625s and 25-2s.

The Ranch Products moonclips work better for me in the .45 wheelguns.

How do the Ranch moonclips work in the 627 - 8??

I got rid of all my moonclips other than Hearthco. And I probably had 50 or more of various brands.

The Ranch Products clips are great for the 6-shot .45 ACPs.

But with the 8-shooters, once you go Hearthco you'll never go back. They're that much better.

That is the way U know when moon clips are ready to go into scrap bucket---they get bent or twisted -- try them before U go to a match make sure they all fit your gun==U wont be sorry... :rolleyes:

Not true.

Bent ones can, and I do, be salvaged.

A friend stepped on a new 'clip at a match (there were 4 of us shooting revolver) and was upset that it had to be thrown away. I told him to remove the fired cases and give me the 'clip. a couple of minutes later I gave him back his 'clip in pristine condition. He asked what I did and I told him that if he knew I would have to shoot him. Then I showed him this.

https://www.moonclips.com/cart/shopdisplayp...clip+Saver+Tool

It's a tool that every moonclipped revolver shooter should own.

Ouch 75 bucks. How does it work, just a swage, put the clip in and hit it with a hammer ? I can turn one up on my lathe in 15 minutes if that's the case. Looks like it goes a bit past square so the clip springs back flat.

Have had some luck just putting the clip on the anvil and wacking it just right. Sometimes it works sometimes not.

Boats

Ouch 75 bucks. How does it work, just a swage, put the clip in and hit it with a hammer ? I can turn one up on my lathe in 15 minutes if that's the case. Looks like it goes a bit past square so the clip springs back flat.

Have had some luck just putting the clip on the anvil and wacking it just right. Sometimes it works sometimes not.

Boats

It's come down in price.

You have 3 pieces - the top piece, which is rounded at the edge and is msachined with recess much like a rifle crown. The bottom piece has a flat recess, and the center piece which is machined with 2 different angles on the center part.

You assemble with the steep angle out, drop the monnclip over the post, and them slap down, with your hand, the top piece onto the 'clip. Flip the 'clip and repeat. The you turn over the center piece and repaet twice. moonclip saved. Repeat as necessary. There is a flat surface on the end of the tool to check the moonclips.

This is a must have for moonclip salvage.

FWIW - I'm getting my moonclips from Cactus Tactical.

Edited by RePete

Thanks,

Tell the truth If I made one no doubt would end up making 3 or 4 before getting it right, time spent would be much more than just buying one. Will have a look at there web-site

Looks like a pretty useful tool

Boats

The Tool is very useful.

After shooting for a while there was this pile of about 30+ Hearthco moonclips that were in bad shape. I borrowed "the tool" and all of the bent up Hearthco's are back in action. There may have been one crushed beyond recovery - stepped on by an RO.

$75 isn't cheap but when you price out good moonclips and the ability to get them running again, it's worth it. Or at least know somebody who has one you can borrow.

Besides, with the coming inflation, $75 will be viewed as something oh so cheap that could have been bought in the good old days.

I have a batch of moon clips I got from Ebay for my 625. They do not fit well. The cylinder will not close on some and when the cylinder closes on others is it very difficult to open. Can I do anything to these moon clips to make them work well or should I just chunk them? Thanks

Purchase your moon clips from Ranch Products the original manufacturer. Last time I purchased 45 ACP moonclips they were less than $50 per 100 shipped. You cannot order from their website but they do reply to pjone calls. Great people to deal with.