Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Precision Adj Sights on my Glock 34-Shots hit high with more ad

DMAC

I had my gunsmith install the Dawson Precison adjustable sights on my glock 34 and I'm shooting WWB 115 grain and my shots are hitting about 2" high at 25 yards. I can't lower the rear sight any more. What should I do?

Does Dawson make a taller front sight or will I have to have a gunsmith some how mill some material off the underside of the rear sight to lower it?

Thanks in advance for any advice? I plan to call Dawson and ask them as well.

I had my gunsmith install the Dawson Precison adjustable sights on my glock 34 and I'm shooting WWB 115 grain and my shots are hitting about 2" high at 25 yards. I can't lower the rear sight any more. What should I do?

Does Dawson make a taller front sight or will I have to have a gunsmith some how mill some material off the underside of the rear sight to lower it?

Thanks in advance for any advice? I plan to call Dawson and ask them as well.

You could try to use a .285 or .300 tall front sight pending what you have now.

You actually need like a .310 to match that rear. The new "bomar" rear for the Glock 34/35 needs the front sight they don't produce. They can be special ordered in a lot of 10 from DP.

This is what I was thinking because I believe I already have the .300. I'll give them a call and hopefully they will exchange this for me.

What should I do?

Are you sure about your technique? It is common problem when you do not lock your shooting hand wrist. I should look problems in technique first. Give your Glock to expirienced shooter to shoot some groups.

Edited by Ramas

What should I do?

Are you sure about your technique? It is common problem when you do not lock your shooting hand wrist. I should look problems in technique first. Give your Glock to expirienced shooter to shoot some groups.

Thanks. I've been shooting handguns for 30 years and Glocks for 15 years and this is the only time I've ever had this problem. I put 20 rounds from the G34 into a 4" group at 20 yards when I was sighting it in shooting offhand to start, so I'm pretty sure it's not my technique. I'm usually the one that people give their gun to when they are having problems.

Edited by DMAC

What should I do?

Thanks. I've been shooting handguns for 30 years and Glocks for 15 years and this is the only time I've ever had this problem. I put 20 rounds from the G34 into a 4" group at 20 yards when I was sighting it in shooting offhand to start, so I'm pretty sure it's not my technique. I'm usually the one that people give their gun to when they are having problems.

This is good answer, but then, what is your front sight tall?

When I used the .285 Dawson front, I would bottom out to get to POA. I then got the .300 front and had much more wiggle room for adjustments. I believe the .300 is their tallest front sight for the Glock. Not sure what else could be wrong, of the many Glock shooters I know, no one has had a issue with Dawson's sights using one of the two sizes mentioned.

I bought it with a Dawson front sight that was too short and I replaced it with the one that came packaged with the Dawson rear and this improved it, but there is still a problem. I'll bet it's the .300, but as Fransremote mentioned, the rear sight may be the problem.

I've had some bad luck with Glocks. I have a 21 that had a bur at the bottom of the feedramp that was causing FTF. I took it to my glock armorer who said that he had never seen it and he called Glock and they had me send it in with the mags. That was 2 months ago and no word from Glock.

I bought it with a Dawson front sight that was too short and I replaced it with the one that came packaged with the Dawson rear and this improved it, but there is still a problem. I'll bet it's the .300, but as Fransremote mentioned, the rear sight may be the problem.

I've had some bad luck with Glocks. I have a 21 that had a bur at the bottom of the feedramp that was causing FTF. I took it to my glock armorer who said that he had never seen it and he called Glock and they had me send it in with the mags. That was 2 months ago and no word from Glock.

It wasn't an issue until they came out with their "new" adjustable rear Bomar design about 6 months ago. Since then it seems as if there isn't a DP front sight tall enough to make up for the height. We were selling and installing quite a few until this came up and we had to "special order" the taller front sight. It was DPs customer service that told us that the .310 sight was what was needed, but we had to order 10 or more to get them specially made.

I had the same problem when I put Dawson sights on a Glock 17L. I thought the barrel length was the problem. But I found the Bomar adjustable sight from Dawson is taller than the Dawspn adjustable sight. I couldn't adjust the Bomar low enough with a .300 Dawson front sight. But when I switched to the Dawson adjustable rear sight (which is slightly lower start with) and a.300 Dawson front sight, I was able to adjust it with room to spare.

I have a G-24 with the same problem. It has the dawson adjustable rear and the .285 tall front. Rather than buy a new front sight I cut a shim out of .025" plastic machinist shim stock and put under the front sight. It's still 1.5" high at 25 yards. A load with a lighter bullet going faster will tend to shoot lower, but may have snappier recoil. You probably don't want to go lighter than 115 gr in 9mm though. I feel your pain I bought mine as a set from Dawson you would think the front would have been sized to put the rear more inthe middle of the adjustment range.

I put Dawson sets on both my 34 and 35 a couple years ago and had the same problem. The sights came with the .285 sights and I had to install the .300's to get them to hit poa.

I thought I read somewhere on this forum that folks start having problems with the .300" sight dragging in the holster. With a .310" it will be even worse.

How is this handled? I'm asking since I already have a Blade-Tech for my G-34 and planned on putting a set of Dawson adjustable sights on it. I'd hoped to use the .285" high FO front sight.

Bill

I've had no problem with sight drag. (Butt drag, yeah. but that's another subject!) But I haven't used Blade Tech holsters, either. I've been using a COM holster for Production and 3-gun, and it has a very deep sight channel.

The .285" tall sight won't work in a fobus or uncle mikes kydex holster there is not enough clearance. It does work in the inection molded Blade-tech. I have all three and have tried. I just looked at a bladetech DOH today and it looks like it would go in it also. Hope this helps.

The .285" tall sight won't work in a fobus or uncle mikes kydex holster there is not enough clearance. It does work in the inection molded Blade-tech. I have all three and have tried. I just looked at a bladetech DOH today and it looks like it would go in it also. Hope this helps.

Thanks for checking Dave. My Blade-Tech is injection molded so I guess I'm good to go with a .285" front sight.

To be sure the .285" will work with their adjustable rear sight on a G-35, I'll give Dawson a call.

Bill

Did Dawson change the design, or are there now two (Bomar style and old style) adjustable rears? I have Dawson's on both my 34 (0.285 front) and 35 (0.300). The 0.285 barely has enough ajustment for 124 grain ammo, which is why I went with the 0.300 front for the 2nd set. Both were purchased over a year ago. I had to carefully enlarge the sight channel on my BT holster with a sharp knife and emery cloth to clear the 0.300. I'd be bummed if you had to go with an even higher front sight...

I have Dawson's on both my 34 (0.285 front) and 35 (0.300). The 0.285 barely has enough ajustment for 124 grain ammo, which is why I went with the 0.300 front for the 2nd set.

That's what I was afraid of. Buy the .285' front sight only to find out I needed the .300". Then I get the .300" front sight and find out I'll need to buy a new holster.

I really prefer adjustable sights but may be better off buying a fixed sight set.

Bill

I put Dawson sets on both my 34 and 35 a couple years ago and had the same problem. The sights came with the .285 sights and I had to install the .300's to get them to hit poa.

We have a winner.

This was my problem. Now I better check to make sure it will fit in my bladetech DOH. Thanks for all of the feedback and help!

Damien

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem with My Dawson adjustable sights shooting too low on my 24 with a 9mm conversion barrel. I figured it might have been because the conversion but after reading this I guess not. I want to switch to a fiber optic front sight. I see that Dawson offers on their website ones that are .300 tall and .100 or .125 wide.

Do any of you guys have the fiber optic front sight and which width did you go with and why?

Any other brands of fiber optic front sight you guys recommend?

I'm having the same problem with My Dawson adjustable sights shooting too low on my 24 with a 9mm conversion barrel. I figured it might have been because the conversion but after reading this I guess not. I want to switch to a fiber optic front sight. I see that Dawson offers on their website ones that are .300 tall and .100 or .125 wide.

Do any of you guys have the fiber optic front sight and which width did you go with and why?

Any other brands of fiber optic front sight you guys recommend?

Ive used .100 it had to much play in the sight picture for my liking, I like .125 myself.