Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock STI Pistols

RangerTrace

I know lots of people shoot STI based custom pistols, but I'm curious how many shooters use bone stock Edges, Eagles, Tacticals or whatever.

Just ordered a Trojan for IDPA. Other than a few "cool" changes it will be stock.

I know lots of people shoot STI based custom pistols, but I'm curious how many shooters use bone stock Edges, Eagles, Tacticals or whatever.

I have seen maybe a couple of new shooters who basically took one out of the box and shot but other than that I'm gonna guess that no one uses a bone stock STI. There are almost always changes such as trigger job, grip stippling, tape, slide cuts, new magwell, etc..

Edited by jasmap

I shoot a box stock Eagle 9mm in IDPA and a stock Trubor 9mm in USPSA. I had to do a little extractor tuning when I first got each of them, but they just run now. I don't know if a full custom build would help my scores any, but I have a lot of fun with what I have.

YMMV

Bill

Edited by RV man

I know three or four guys that shoot stock Edges and one that shoots a stock STI (don't know the model). My Limited gun is a Dawson Edge with a custom 6" top end.

The guns out of the box will do everything that you could do with a custom. Maybe a piece of grip tape or a few file strokes and changing a spring would help, but a full custom is not necessary to play this game. Does my 6" make me shoot better? I'd like to think so, but probably not.

I have some real nice custom 1911's, however, I shoot a Colt parts gun in Single Stack. I just seem to shoot it better.

Buddy

My first dedicated USPSA gun was a stock Edge in .45 ACP; it NEVER ran reliably until I had it worked over by custom gunsmiths.

But, that is par for the course with the Edge. Once they are tuned up, given tuned mags & made reliable, the STI-based custom Edge guns are great shooters and they dominate the sport here in the USA.

OTOH, the STI Spartan (which, to be honest, is not really a 100% STI product) should run right out of the box.

I have only custom STI guns, because I have many gunsmith friends and they want.... you propably know the rest. Now I also try to do my best for building my own guns. I do have some factory guns, but them are not STI guns.

3 of my club mates have 2 edge and 2 open trubor guns. At the match I saw shooters how are news ones at the sport with factory STI guns and old farts like me with custom guns or guns which don't have any factory parts left. I think when you are in sport long time you know exactly what you want and you are more willing to change and pay for it.

I shoot a stock Tactical 5.0 in .40. The only problem I have had was a Recoilmaster that broke. STI sent me a replacement right away, and I haven't had a problem since.

I like the light rail, the fiber optic sight, and the magwell that came on it. I did replace the fixed sight with a TAS.

I have been thinking about having it hard-chromed or Ion Bonded, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. My one complaint about the gun is the bluing - I just don't think it's a good finish for a gun that gets a lot of work for duty or competition.

I have a 9mm Trojan. It's like a kid, ya can't beat it. :cheers:

Stay Safe,

A.T.

My Edge was a problem child that I got stupid and threw money at. What I should have done was allow STI to make it right (which ultimately they did). I don't doubt that there are a million great STIs out there that run like a scalded dog right out of the box. I didn't get one.

But their customer service was outstanding and given the opportunity they made chicken salad out of chicken poo.

I ordered a 6" Eagle from Dawson, had Dawson add sights and mag funnel. When it arrived I didnt like the large mag release paddle so changed that. Other than recoil spring, and magazine guts and pads that's how it came from STI.

I shoot a stock Tactical 5.0 in .40. The only problem I have had was a Recoilmaster that broke. STI sent me a replacement right away, and I haven't had a problem since.

I like the light rail, the fiber optic sight, and the magwell that came on it. I did replace the fixed sight with a TAS.

I have been thinking about having it hard-chromed or Ion Bonded, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. My one complaint about the gun is the bluing - I just don't think it's a good finish for a gun that gets a lot of work for duty or competition.

Hey Sean,

Its funny that you replied to this post, because I was referring to my Tactical 5.0. I thought that is what you've been shooting at the matches, but I never got a close look at it.

I bought my STI Tactical to be my back up limited gun/home defense gun. Other than a tiny bit of stoning on the sear and extractor, it is BONE stock. It does shoot nice (groups well), but the mag well needs to be blended, it needs a FO front sight and probably a FLGR instead of the recoilmaster. I'm torn about changing the front sight, because I always worry about the FO rod falling out of my Tripp gun. Also, because 99.9% of the time, it sits on my nightstand with a TLR-1 on it, I hate to spend a bunch of money on it.

I agree with the finish. With very little use, the bluing on the grip safety is nearly gone. I'm tempted to see if Virgil will tune it and plate it, but I kinda like the black finish.

Anyway, hope to see you on Sunday. I think we're setting up tomorrow at 11AM.

Edited by rangertrace

Actually, In a placebo-controlled, double-blind, randomized trial of 1000 shooters conducted by a privately funded group based in Corpus Christi TX it has been conclusively proven that shooters using stock out the the box handguns had a 37% higher average cholesterol count, were 29% more likely to be obese and tended to premature baldness and brown teeth. It is also worthy of note that obsessive-compulsive disorder, depression and anxiety and penis envy were found with a greater frequency in those stock handgun shooters who used blued firearms rather than stainless steel or hard chromed guns.

On the second trial many of the same participants of the original study were noted to have remarkable and unexplainable reversals of the documented symptoms after their purchase of a fine custom handgun specifically created for the specific shooter. Among the effects noted perhaps the most significant was an immediate jump in classification of 15.8% for the overall average among the test subjects.

As an interesting side note a sizable percentage of the custom gun users reported a total recovery from erectile dysfunction, remarkable higher testosterone levels and regrowth of hair.

Merlin D Orr Corpus Christi Institute of Higher Gun Learning. BS, TTBS & BM.

The efficacy of Custom Single Stacks in depression: a meta-analysis of studies against ugly guns. Journal of Psycrapmacology. 1994;8:238-249

Edited by Merlin Orr

Actually, In a placebo-controlled, double-blind, randomized trial of 1000 shooters conducted by a privately funded group based in Corpus Christi TX it has been conclusively proven that shooters using stock out the the box handguns had a 37% higher average cholesterol count, were 29% more likely to be obese and tended to premature baldness and brown teeth. It is also worthy of note that obsessive-compulsive disorder, depression and anxiety and penis envy were found with a greater frequency in those stock handgun shooters who used blued firearms rather than stainless steel or hard chromed guns.

On the second trial many of the same participants of the original study were noted to have remarkable and unexplainable reversals of the documented symptoms after their purchase of a fine custom handgun specifically created for the specific shooter. Among the effects noted perhaps the most significant was an immediate jump in classification of 15.8% for the overall average among the test subjects.

As an interesting side note a sizable percentage of the custom gun users reported a total recovery from erectile dysfunction, remarkable higher testosterone levels and regrowth of hair.

The efficacy of Custom Single Stacks in depression: a meta-analysis of studies against ugly guns. Journal of Psycrapmacology. 1994;8:238-249

Pulitzer Prize material, Merlin. :cheers:

That is great stuff Merlin. :cheers: I wonder though, how much crown had you injested before writing that? :roflol:

Mine LIM gun started out as a stock EDGE, Bob at Brazos did his usual check -over.

I figured I'd spend the 2005 season working the bugs out of it while I shot my old LIM gun.

...but from day 1, this thing this thing has run 100%

I decided I liked a lighter gun better, so I had Canyon Creek cut the slide and dustcover more like a standard 1911. He did a wonderful job.

Next, Trigger job, stippling, and TRIPP hardchrome.

IMGP4267.jpg

Maybe I got lucky, but this gun has accurate and reliable right out of the box.

DSC00753.jpg

"Mine LIM gun started out as a stock EDGE, Bob at Brazos did his usual check -over."

"I decided I liked a lighter gun better, so I had Canyon Creek cut the slide and dustcover more like a standard 1911. He did a wonderful job."

Hey, you have got a custom gun now! :roflol:

"Mine LIM gun started out as a stock EDGE, Bob at Brazos did his usual check -over."

"I decided I liked a lighter gun better, so I had Canyon Creek cut the slide and dustcover more like a standard 1911. He did a wonderful job."

Hey, you have got a custom gun now! :roflol:

Yes, but it started out stock, and none of the custom work had anything to do with the reliability.

Yes, stock is where most of us started to change our gun little bit at first and later adding little bit extras for it . Mine was stock Para Ordnace P16 but it cost me after all more than stock STI. <_<

I wish I had bought straight away stock STI Edge. There hadn't been that much to change because stock STI Edge is already great out off the box.B)